Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

53 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

That's great to hear, im so happy for you!! I hope you get some good news on funding soon.

Thank you! I'm talking to the graduate director today and have a million questions including funding!

18 minutes ago, CafeBustelo07 said:

I'm also a lurker coming out of the shadows.

I've gotten accepted at 5: Duke, Cornell, UMaryland, UC Davis, and University of Southern California.

Still waiting to hear from UPenn and Boston U. Based on what everyone else has posted, I'm assuming we won't hear back from these for some time.

U Penn according to another poster is releasing them in the next week or so. So fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, socihk said:

Really?!

I just emailed them. They said the review process is still in the final stage and will soon be completed.

When did your friend get accepted?

Thanks for that info -- really hoping to hear this week haha. 

I'm not sure exactly when she heard but I think last week. Considering no one on gradcafe has heard from BU, im hoping they made an early decision for her because she's international and will release regular decisions together.

6 hours ago, A.Buscariolli said:

About UCSB. I received an e-mail by the beginning of January saying I was recommended for admission, however, I suppose to get more information about their funding package by the time of the campus visit on the 2nd of March (which, as an international applicant, I won't be able to attend).

I got two other offers, but UCSB remains my first choice (assuming I'll get a rejection from UCLA, which at this point seems very likely), so it's killing me that I don't know exactly how much I suppose to get from them.

Thank you for the update and CONGRATS!

UPDATE for Penn State

I just called the department and the Graduate Support Assistant mentioned that they'll be sending out e-mails to those waitlisted. They couldn't tell me whether or not who's on the waitlist, but assume a rejection if you don't hear from them tomorrow.

5 hours ago, AnnaGG said:

What are you gravitating towards? I'm going to go with Notre Dame and wondering if we're gonna be there together

After the visit day at Notre Dame, I'm leaning that way at the moment! I'll be visiting Ohio State next weekend and then hopefully I'll be able to visit IU for their visit day. 

After seeing how the visit day at ND went, I'm sure the visit days at the other two schools could sway me. ND's funding package is probably the best though. I'll keep you updated on what I decide! Congrats on being admitted at ND, I saw that you weren't able to attend the visit day so if you have any questions about it, let me know (:

4 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

@AnnaGG Gotcha! Guessing if we didn't hear from them, we got rejected right?

From what I've heard, if you didn't get invited to their visit day, you should expect a rejection. They invite 12 or so to the visit day, admit 5 of those students, then as students turn down the offer, they move down the list to other people who attended the visit day but weren't admitted right off the bat. According to the DGS, they've never had to admit students who didn't attend the visit day 

1 hour ago, soc126 said:

From what I've heard, if you didn't get invited to their visit day, you should expect a rejection. They invite 12 or so to the visit day, admit 5 of those students, then as students turn down the offer, they move down the list to other people who attended the visit day but weren't admitted right off the bat. According to the DGS, they've never had to admit students who didn't attend the visit day 

1 hour ago, soc126 said:

After the visit day at Notre Dame, I'm leaning that way at the moment! I'll be visiting Ohio State next weekend and then hopefully I'll be able to visit IU for their visit day. 

After seeing how the visit day at ND went, I'm sure the visit days at the other two schools could sway me. ND's funding package is probably the best though. I'll keep you updated on what I decide! Congrats on being admitted at ND, I saw that you weren't able to attend the visit day so if you have any questions about it, let me know (:

How should one prepare for the visit day? Clear on the research questions and related questions?

6 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

@AnnaGG Gotcha! Guessing if we didn't hear from them, we got rejected right?

Vandy had the visit weekend last week, so we'll all probably hear from them this week or early next week I'm guessing. 

2 hours ago, soc126 said:

I wish I could have visited ND! I heard from another applicant that the visit was convincing so now I'm just imagining how it went that it was such a positive experience. Flying across the Atlantic for a few hours would have been ridiculous, so I had an online interview about 2 weeks before the visit day

Short-time lurker!

Accepted: UC Berkeley, UChicago, Northwestern

Denied: Princeton, Columbia, Brown

Waiting: UCSB (Nominated by Department but radio silence?) and UPenn

Any insight or tips about the programs I did get into? All their funding is fairly comprehensive.

1 hour ago, AnnaGG said:

I wish I could have visited ND! I heard from another applicant that the visit was convincing so now I'm just imagining how it went that it was such a positive experience. Flying across the Atlantic for a few hours would have been ridiculous, so I had an online interview about 2 weeks before the visit day

Definitely understandable! Just message me if you have any questions about what the building was like, office spaces, cost of living in South Bend, etc. Or if you want to see any of the handouts they gave us! 

54 minutes ago, soc126 said:

I would say definitely be able to talk about your research interests, usually the professors asked me to briefly described my research interests and why I was interested in their department. And then I'd say, have some questions that you'd like answered by current students that you'll talk with, the professors you're interested in working with, and anyone else you'll meet while you're there. 

This thread has a lot of good questions to ask (:

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/52849-dear-2015-applicants-here-is-what-the-2014ers-learned-this-year-that-might-help-you/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-1058192567

I already had the visit last week, but thanks for the advice anyway! 

3 hours ago, tsh05 said:

How should one prepare for the visit day? Clear on the research questions and related questions?

I would say definitely be able to talk about your research interests, usually the professors asked me to briefly described my research interests and why I was interested in their department. And then I'd say, have some questions that you'd like answered by current students that you'll talk with, the professors you're interested in working with, and anyone else you'll meet while you're there. 

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/52849-dear-2015-applicants-here-is-what-the-2014ers-learned-this-year-that-might-help-you/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-1058192567

25 minutes ago, toear5 said:

I already had the visit last week, but thanks for the advice anyway! 

I meant to reply to the person above! Sorry about that. 

On 2/21/2018 at 3:59 PM, coffeentv said:

I called UPenn and Temple today because I need to tell Albany if I'm really interested in attending (I believe people with funding offers will start declining their offers soon) as soon as possible.

I didn't think I'd get into UPenn because of my ok GRE scores, but was hoping to get into Temple.

According to the nice lady who picked up the phone, Upenn has already made their decisions, but is waiting to get those offers approved by the graduate school. They are hoping to send out all the decisions somewhere between late February and mid-March. I was told to call back in a week.

Temple assured me that I have not been rejected, and told me to call back next week.

Hey y'all, I'm new here. I'm in the same boat with Upenn as many of you. I wanted to ask @coffeentv, when you call them did they happen to tell you (or do any of y'all know) if they interviewed candidates during the selection process?

Best of luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, vivian.d said:

Hey y'all, I'm new here. I'm in the same boat with Upenn as many of you. I wanted to ask @coffeentv, when you call them did they happen to tell you (or do any of y'all know) if they interviewed candidates during the selection process?

Best of luck to everyone!

I e-mailed the graduate assistant of the department and said:

"At this time I'm unable to give you an answer we are still waiting for the Dean's office to approve our list. Please give us a few more weeks. "

So, maybe early March at the earliest.

7 hours ago, soc126 said:

What a waste of $95 dollars! To tell you the truth, their program is a bit disorganized for me. One of the professors I wanted to work with left anyway.

Working in North Carolina on finishing up data collection for my thesis. 17 interviews down, 8 to go. Got notified I got accepted and funded at Penn State, but it's in rural sociology and not the soc & crim department proper so I'll have to do a lot of thinking. 

5 minutes ago, ThePastelCalico said:

Working in North Carolina on finishing up data collection for my thesis. 17 interviews down, 8 to go. Got notified I got accepted and funded at Penn State, but it's in rural sociology and not the soc & crim department proper so I'll have to do a lot of thinking. 

Congrats!

38 minutes ago, socihk said:

Saw a Boston U accetpance on board.

Anyone wanna claim it?

Freaking out it is my last hope.

That was me. Got it this afternoon around 4:45. They sent three emails (the letter, the password to open the letter, and a link to their portal), and are also sending an official letter via snail mail.

It was rather late in the day and I haven’t seen any others. Maybe they’re rolling them out slowly? Crossing my fingers for you!

Edited by CafeBustelo07

3 hours ago, soc126 said:

I meant to reply to the person above! Sorry about that. 

Thanks, This helps!