Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

29 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

First UPenn acceptance! Who wants to claim it? And care to share some details?!?!?

There's 3 acceptances up from UPenn and one of them is mine. They sent a midnight email to check the portal. It's one of the best funding offers I've gotten, and they were the last school I was waiting to hear from, so now it's time to start making the tough decision.

1 hour ago, CafeBustelo07 said:

There's 3 acceptances up from UPenn and one of them is mine. They sent a midnight email to check the portal. It's one of the best funding offers I've gotten, and they were the last school I was waiting to hear from, so now it's time to start making the tough decision.

gotcha! Congrats! 

I guess if you heard from them earlier today, then the rest of us can assume rejection!

Just felt a little sting of "not feeling good enough" for any top 40 programs, but one acceptance is good enough right?

This just made my decision a bit easier.

Just heard back from my top choice, acceptance at University of Albany, SUNY for Sociology and I even got a little baby scholarship. Have not heard from any other universities yet, but this is pretty much it for me. Anyone else in this thread attending??

Applied: Washington State University, University of Delaware, Colorado State University, University of New Mexico, The University at Albany, SUNY

Accepted (1/5): The University at Albany, SUNY

1 hour ago, HMcneil said:

Just heard back from my top choice, acceptance at University of Albany, SUNY for Sociology and I even got a little baby scholarship. Have not heard from any other universities yet, but this is pretty much it for me. Anyone else in this thread attending??

Applied: Washington State University, University of Delaware, Colorado State University, University of New Mexico, The University at Albany, SUNY

Accepted (1/5): The University at Albany, SUNY

Congratulations! I just had to decline their offer because I wouldn’t be able to commute or rent an extra room and survive on the modest stipend. They are having a visit day on March 26th.

8 hours ago, coffeentv said:

Congratulations! I just had to decline their offer because I wouldn’t be able to commute or rent an extra room and survive on the modest stipend. They are having a visit day on March 26th.

Thanks! Yeah understandable, I’m having to move from a different state, very stressful. I’m hoping I can make it to visit day, and also squeeze in time to apartment hunt. 

Anyone hear from BU since last post? I emailed two POIs (sadly they are not in adcomm this year) while got quite official responses saying that it's still the final stage and I would be informed once the notice been made. And one POI says its normal that department makes decisions in March, even April. Don't know if they will admit any students in sociology of religion this year. 

4 hours ago, Richard Qian Lee said:

Anyone hear from BU since last post? I emailed two POIs (sadly they are not in adcomm this year) while got quite official responses saying that it's still the final stage and I would be informed once the notice been made. And one POI says its normal that department makes decisions in March, even April. Don't know if they will admit any students in sociology of religion this year. 

This doesn't help: but no, I haven't heard anything.  And my application status has not changed either--then again, I was rejected (via postal service) from BC, but my status there still says "submitted."

Yes, one person here has posted that they were admitted.  I can't see any way that a committee could admit someone without first reviewing all applications--if they don't review all applications they may be accepting someone that is not as good as someone else in the pool--this is especially important as there are limits to cohort size.  With this in mind, I don't want to burst your bubble, but it would seem that you--and myself, a fellow applicant there--were *at least* not top choices, and *at worst* not accepted.

This all applies to Brandeis, too, who has already sent out some acceptances.  I'm expecting that for both BU and Brandeis--because others were notified of acceptances and I wasn't--I am (at best) waitlisted and (at worst) rejected.

Not related at all--has anyone applied to the PhD program at the University of Massachusetts Boston?  I hope not because I don't want competition--I was hoping that because the PhD program required a master's (of which I'm done in a couple months), I would have limited competition there.

13 hours ago, Want_PHD said:

This doesn't help: but no, I haven't heard anything.  And my application status has not changed either--then again, I was rejected (via postal service) from BC, but my status there still says "submitted."

Yes, one person here has posted that they were admitted.  I can't see any way that a committee could admit someone without first reviewing all applications--if they don't review all applications they may be accepting someone that is not as good as someone else in the pool--this is especially important as there are limits to cohort size.  With this in mind, I don't want to burst your bubble, but it would seem that you--and myself, a fellow applicant there--were *at least* not top choices, and *at worst* not accepted.

This all applies to Brandeis, too, who has already sent out some acceptances.  I'm expecting that for both BU and Brandeis--because others were notified of acceptances and I wasn't--I am (at best) waitlisted and (at worst) rejected.

Not related at all--has anyone applied to the PhD program at the University of Massachusetts Boston?  I hope not because I don't want competition--I was hoping that because the PhD program required a master's (of which I'm done in a couple months), I would have limited competition there.

I applied to U Mass- Boston as well. I was told that we should hear back from them around the first week in March. I have no idea what my chances are of getting accepted there. I haven't really found any stats or rankings for that program but most of the professors seem to come from T20 universities. Good luck to you!

Edited by soc_lyfe

On 2/22/2018 at 5:52 PM, soc126 said:

Has anyone heard from UIC? 

Yes. I was informed over two weeks ago. Have you checked the portal? Sometimes, the Office of Admissions request more documents

5 hours ago, kmtazu said:

Yes. I was informed over two weeks ago. Have you checked the portal? Sometimes, the Office of Admissions request more documents

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know! I checked the protal earlier today and there was no decision and the Office of Admissions hasn't requested any additional documents. 

Update, wait listed at Arizona, accepted at Penn State, Boulder, and Temple. I turned down Temple since they haven't offered funding.  How does the wait list work? If I accept at another school, then hear back after April 15th that I got accepted after all, is there a penalty or some sort of consequence for rescinding a previous acceptance? (I.E. if I accept at Boulder, then get off the wait list at Arizona after the 15th and accept there instead, is there any consequence for turning down Boulder after the fact?) I know it's a dumb question, but humor me.

47 minutes ago, FutureGames said:

Update, wait listed at Arizona, accepted at Penn State, Boulder, and Temple. I turned down Temple since they haven't offered funding.  How does the wait list work? If I accept at another school, then hear back after April 15th that I got accepted after all, is there a penalty or some sort of consequence for rescinding a previous acceptance? (I.E. if I accept at Boulder, then get off the wait list at Arizona after the 15th and accept there instead, is there any consequence for turning down Boulder after the fact?) I know it's a dumb question, but humor me.

It's a shitty thing to do... But I think you just lose your deposit (?) if you decide to go with that. You are basically withdrawing from the program, and there isn't much schools can do about that. However, I still think you should go with schools that didn't wait-list you initially.

Did anyone hear from UCLA?

Yesterday I received an e-mail saying that my application has been received and that I should contact the office of the graduate program in order to get more information about its status.

Today someone posted that he or she received a rejection via website, however, I checked the website and my application status remains "submitted", so I don't know what to expect!

EDIT: No worries, the rejection e-mail just arrived ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by A.Buscariolli
new infor just arrived

20 minutes ago, A.Buscariolli said:

Did anyone hear from UCLA?

Yesterday I received an e-mail saying that my application has been received and that I should contact the office of the graduate program in order to get more information about its status.

Today someone posted that he or she received a rejection via website, however, I checked the website and my application status remains "submitted", so I don't know what to expect!

I got that email also. It's a relief that I wasn't the only one haha I freaked out for a while

I also got an email from the admissions to check the portal a minute ago and I was rejected. Oh well :wacko:

9 hours ago, FutureGames said:

hey @FutureGames 

Any word on Penn State? They haven't said anything else since. 

9 minutes ago, pinoysoc said:

hey @FutureGames 

Any word on Penn State? They haven't said anything else since. 

They haven't said anything to me about other applications if that's what you mean. I know you're really anxious to hear back, but there's not much you can do. You may still be in the running, you may not, you gotta just give it some time. I'm betting you'll know in the next two weeks. At this point, I personally have assumed that if I haven't heard back from a place that I'm either rejected or wait listed. 

After 3 rejections. I just got an offer from my backup school. BUT it only comes with a partial tuition waiver. (79%). I'm hardpressed to turn down my only offer, but I'm also unsure if I can fund that. Tough decisions ahead. Guess all the GRE prep will pay off for the much math I have to do now. LOL. 

You know what I'm glad that I got rejected from Penn State! I rather thrive and grow in another institution that sees potential in me. I'm tired of the overall idea that we need to get accepted in a high-ranking program to do well. Well, F!@# that. That's just ridiculous. I was bitter at first, but you know what? I'm getting my PhD AND an MPH at the school I got accepted to. So take that. This is the most adult-thing I've realized in the whole process of applying. I rather work my ass off at UAB and succeed than stress out at Penn State or U Penn. I'm done trying to attract prestige. I'm going to do what I freaking love wherever that maybe. So Penn State and U Penn can kiss my sociology ass! 

By the way, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in future conferences. PM me! 

I would love to connect and make friends when we all start doing our thing!

I'm going to miss stressing out on here. HMU!

41 minutes ago, FutureGames said:

They haven't said anything to me about other applications if that's what you mean. I know you're really anxious to hear back, but there's not much you can do. You may still be in the running, you may not, you gotta just give it some time. I'm betting you'll know in the next two weeks. At this point, I personally have assumed that if I haven't heard back from a place that I'm either rejected or wait listed. 

I got my rejection letter, and I'm like fuck it! This is fucking elitist and I'm happy where I got in!