Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

2 hours ago, Ekinsu92 said:

Hello again, 

Has any of you heard from University of Alberta? 

Hey! Have you tried calling the department? more so, e-mailing them asking for an update?

4 hours ago, cam_soc said:

To the person who got wait listed for brandeis, does your applicant status page reflect it? Or have you only received an email? 

I received an email saying I was waitlisted. The DGS wants to talk by phone.

For those who have gone through this process for a second (or third) time - were any of you accepted to programs that may have rejected you the previous cycle?

I applied to a couple of local programs this cycle as a "soft" attempt, knowing that I had no intention of moving my family this year and that I still needed to work out some of my interests. I'm completing a MA and trying to divide time between school, a research project, full-time job, and family left little time to focus on a wide range of applications. FWIW - my undergrad grades are terrible (and very outdated), 4.0 Masters GPA, 162V/157Q/4.5AW (and I'm willing to retake since I didn't study for that attempt).

If any of you are willing to share what you think made the difference between your first cycle and second/third, I would be grateful. Thank you!

24 minutes ago, socl said:

For those who have gone through this process for a second (or third) time - were any of you accepted to programs that may have rejected you the previous cycle?

I applied to a couple of local programs this cycle as a "soft" attempt, knowing that I had no intention of moving my family this year and that I still needed to work out some of my interests. I'm completing a MA and trying to divide time between school, a research project, full-time job, and family left little time to focus on a wide range of applications. FWIW - my undergrad grades are terrible (and very outdated), 4.0 Masters GPA, 162V/157Q/4.5AW (and I'm willing to retake since I didn't study for that attempt).

If any of you are willing to share what you think made the difference between your first cycle and second/third, I would be grateful. Thank you!

I think what made the difference for me, anyway, was that my research focus was more fine-tuned. During my first time, I had this grandiose plan of studying macro-level changes and globalization and its effects on cultures. Yet, but by taking time-off, I realized that my true passion is medical sociology/sociology of health and illness/race and ethnicity and the intersection with the changing landscapes.

What are your interests?

2 hours ago, JSTOBIAS said:

I think what made the difference for me, anyway, was that my research focus was more fine-tuned. During my first time, I had this grandiose plan of studying macro-level changes and globalization and its effects on cultures. Yet, but by taking time-off, I realized that my true passion is medical sociology/sociology of health and illness/race and ethnicity and the intersection with the changing landscapes.

What are your interests?

Thank you! That's what I think is going to help me as well - I haven't narrowed my interests enough and have been tentative about committing to a specific area. I'm interested in education, but I know that I need more than just inequality/stratification and education. I do tend to take awhile to make big decisions, so I know that I'll benefit from stepping away for a bit over the summer while it all percolates.

On 3/2/2018 at 11:51 AM, socl said:

Hi, I got accepted into two programs I was rejected the previous cycle. I used the same GRE, and your GRE scores is better than mine (V157 Q158 AWA 5.0). What I did different this time was to contact POI. I wrote a research proposal that helped me to find out what I wanted to do in the field I am interested. The exercise of design a research proposal helped me to be able to state what I am interested and why. This also helped me to have conversations with POI about my research and during the interviews it helped me to answer questions like why do you think you can do something different with so many people working in your same field. My advice would be to focus on finding out what are you really interested, and try to contact POI. At least that is what worked out for. Hope it helps!

On 3/1/2018 at 1:05 AM, qeta said:

You not getting in only means that you weren't among the top eight applicants

Where did you find this info, if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious about number of applications and acceptances at different schools, but I can't find anything like other people seem to be able to do.

Edited by crushinator

5 hours ago, crushinator said:

Where did you find this info, if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious about number of applications and acceptances at different schools, but I can't find anything like other people seem to be able to do.

Partly from rejection letter, partly from a current grad student in the program. When I was researching schools, a lot of them noted the average number of applications received on the FAQ page. Some departments mentioned the number of acceptances and expected cohort sizes (e.g.: Berkeley). You can also use the r-vest package on R to cull data from your schools of interest from the results page on this site and get an idea of average acceptance numbers. I can share my (rather inelegant) R code if you're interested.

Edited by qeta

14 hours ago, NinaMistina said:

I am sorry! I keep hoping to see you get an acceptance from a great school, I know you will get good news soon! 

Haha thank you <3 I only have one school left to hear back from unfortunately but at least I got in somewhere! How're your apps going?

Hi all - I am a lurker coming out of the shadows and am extremely thankful for this little community for quieting my anxieties during this process. Congrats to all those accepted this year!

I have a dilemma/need advice and I'd love to get some feedback  - I think it is safe to say that I have been rejected to all the schools I applied to this cycle. I am wondering what my next steps should be.. I am debating on whether or not I should pursue the Columbia Sociology MA I was accepted to enhance my application, as it is a prestigious institution with a lot of networking opportunities/opportunities to flesh out my research interests (maybe publish? maybe go to additional conferences?). Or should I just take the GREs again and strengthen my application in other ways (research fellowships, publishing something - recommendations welcome!)?
I'm not sure what to do next, but all I want is to get into a PhD program so I can lead research and teach in the future. 

My profile at this point is:

Ithaca College undergrad degree - 3.4 (a weak point of my app, due to a bad freshman year)
CUNY MA - 3.89; thesis on minimum wage movements (fightfor15), framing, media, etc.

Research interests: the intersection of education, social movements, coercion, and power (political/economic sociology) 

3 conference presentations at major psych association conferences in undergrad (EPA; NEPA)
1 year as an undergraduate research assistant
Leadership experience in 2 executive boards in undergrad
1 internship focusing on economic development with low-income women
2-3 years in research and data analysis @ a non-profit w. promotions 
2 years of peer review experience at AERA
2 years of additional professional experience (program management, grant management, HR)
1 masters thesis 

GRE 162V/152Q/4A (could do better)

Sorry this is a lot!! Any suggestions on the best way to strengthen my application would be much appreciated. I feel lost right now :(. Thank you! 

4 hours ago, ss22 said:

Hi all - I am a lurker coming out of the shadows and am extremely thankful for this little community for quieting my anxieties during this process. Congrats to all those accepted this year!

I have a dilemma/need advice and I'd love to get some feedback  - I think it is safe to say that I have been rejected to all the schools I applied to this cycle. I am wondering what my next steps should be.. I am debating on whether or not I should pursue the Columbia Sociology MA I was accepted to enhance my application, as it is a prestigious institution with a lot of networking opportunities/opportunities to flesh out my research interests (maybe publish? maybe go to additional conferences?). Or should I just take the GREs again and strengthen my application in other ways (research fellowships, publishing something - recommendations welcome!)?
I'm not sure what to do next, but all I want is to get into a PhD program so I can lead research and teach in the future. 

Ithaca College undergrad degree - 3.4 (a weak point of my app, due to a bad freshman year)
CUNY MA - 3.89; thesis on minimum wage movements (fightfor15), framing, media, etc.

Research interests: the intersection of education, social movements, coercion, and power (political/economic sociology) 

3 conference presentations at major psych association conferences in undergrad (EPA; NEPA)
2 years of additional professional experience (program management, grant management, HR)
1 masters thesis 

Sorry this is a lot!! Any suggestions on the best way to strengthen my application would be much appreciated. I feel lost right now :(. Thank you! 

You already have a masters? I can't see any way that getting another one will help you at all. The MA at Columbia is also largely just a cash cow for the university, so I don't think you should expect a level of quality significantly above the program at CUNY.

It also seems to me like the reasons you list for considering the MA at Columbia are not going to help with the weaker points of your profile. You already have great research experience, have presented at conferences, and have had the opportunity to network with/get recommendations from faculty (at CUNY). It sounds like you already do have fleshed out research interests from your MA thesis as well. You're ahead of me in all of these categories and I had a relatively successful application season, so I don't think you should be worried.

It does seem like your GRE would be the most immediate way you could make a tangible improvement. I don't think your scores are bad, but bumping up your quant and writing scores, paired with your research background, would make you a great applicant. One thing you haven't mentioned is your SoP. I don't think any of us on the forum is an expert in writing these, but maybe that's another area you could look to?

I think with a couple tweaks you could be a very strong applicant, so I would seriously advise against going into debt and doing the Columbia MA as a hail mary.

On 3/8/2018 at 1:21 PM, ss22 said:

1 masters thesis 

Yea, I'd say strengthening your GRE (in particular, getting your quant score up, and maybe writing too) is a good way forward. Since you are completing a MA at CUNY, I don't think another MA will help all that much. I would advise that you try to publish some of your thesis, and present it at sociology conference (ESS would be good); a publication would certainly set you apart in the next round of applications.

How's everyone doing?

I got waitlisted at UConn, UPenn, Temple. Got no funding from Albany and the New School, and got rejected from CUNY after the interview.

I have already declined the Columbia MA offer.

Albany told me most likely I'd get off the waitlist for funding, but it's only 16k. I called to decline the offer, but they stopped me form doing so.

My GRE is 320 and my GPA is around 3.6-3.7 in both undergrad and grad. 

My partner is willing to move to a city off the New Haven line if I get off the waitlist at UConn.

Should I retake GRE and try again next year? I would like to get into Columbia or NYU or CUNY with funding because I can't relocate. Is it impossible?

25 minutes ago, coffeentv said:

How's everyone doing?

I got waitlisted at UConn, UPenn, Temple. Got no funding from Albany and the New School, and got rejected from CUNY after the interview.

I have already declined the Columbia MA offer.

Albany told me most likely I'd get off the waitlist for funding, but it's only 16k. I called to decline the offer, but they stopped me form doing so.

My GRE is 320 and my GPA is around 3.6-3.7 in both undergrad and grad. 

My partner is willing to move to a city off the New Haven line if I get off the waitlist at UConn.

Should I retake GRE and try again next year? I would like to get into Columbia or NYU or CUNY with funding because I can't relocate. Is it impossible?

Hey!! So there are a few pros and cons to taking another year in my opinion. I think if you took a year to bolster your application, you'd have a good chance at getting into the schools you wanted; however, you'd have the use to year wisely. I'd imagine this would involve more research experience, maybe try and get a publication rather than trying to improve your GRE. Maybe network and meet with some prospective faculty as well. If you're able to do this I think it would pay off exponentially. I don't think its impossible.

On the flip side, you would be turning down acceptances which can be a hard thing to do but if you have the time and energy to dedicate to another year why not! I'd say trust your intuition on this one. Best of luck <3 

Did you call and see where you are on the waitlists at UConn, UPenn, and Temple? If you are interested in those schools, I would reach out to the grad admission chairs and also to profs you'd want to work with. Also, even though Albany doesn't pay a ton, it'd be possible to supplement your income with adjunct positions at the various CUNY schools after a few years (I know an Albany student who is doing this now). 

1 hour ago, KevinJHa said:

Hey!! So there are a few pros and cons to taking another year in my opinion. I think if you took a year to bolster your application, you'd have a good chance at getting into the schools you wanted; however, you'd have the use to year wisely. I'd imagine this would involve more research experience, maybe try and get a publication rather than trying to improve your GRE. Maybe network and meet with some prospective faculty as well. If you're able to do this I think it would pay off exponentially. I don't think its impossible.

On the flip side, you would be turning down acceptances which can be a hard thing to do but if you have the time and energy to dedicate to another year why not! I'd say trust your intuition on this one. Best of luck <3 

Thank you for the advice, Kevin! I'm very frustrated because I couldn't put my research interests first and just applied to schools around NYC. I think I have decent research experience. I'll try to get my master's thesis or a class paper published. I wonder if I can get a job in research sometimes soon... I get extremely nervous talking to people, especially professors. How do you network?

I wouldn't turn down any acceptance if it comes with funding that's enough to cover all the expenses. 

37 minutes ago, michelle2424 said:

Did you call and see where you are on the waitlists at UConn, UPenn, and Temple? If you are interested in those schools, I would reach out to the grad admission chairs and also to profs you'd want to work with. Also, even though Albany doesn't pay a ton, it'd be possible to supplement your income with adjunct positions at the various CUNY schools after a few years (I know an Albany student who is doing this now). 

Albany told me I'm pretty high on the waitlist for funding. UConn and UPenn told me to wait until mid-late April. Temple told me to accept an offer from another school if I have one.

Does s/he commute to Albany from NYC? 

1 hour ago, coffeentv said:

Thank you for the advice, Kevin! I'm very frustrated because I couldn't put my research interests first and just applied to schools around NYC. I think I have decent research experience. I'll try to get my master's thesis or a class paper published. I wonder if I can get a job in research sometimes soon... I get extremely nervous talking to people, especially professors. How do you network?

I wouldn't turn down any acceptance if it comes with funding that's enough to cover all the expenses. 

I totally get that and unfortunately this isn't something people tell you, but I was fortunate enough to have a great mentor. Before I applied I made a habit of networking, every faculty I've read about or my research interests aligned with I would send an email telling them how much I appreciated their work and would love to just meet with them. Half would say yes others wouldn't respond. If I could secure a meeting I would just go and meet, talk about how their work influenced me and what my research is and ask for advice. (People love giving advice, and im example A lol). 

Anyway this was how I found one professor who was willing to give me a research assistantship at CUNY for a few months and offered to write me a letter of recc. One professor that I met with at Princeton said he'd keep an eye out for my application. I was rejected but my point is that there can be so many opportunities that present themselves to you by sending one simple email haha. 

Edited by KevinJHa

1 hour ago, coffeentv said:

Albany told me I'm pretty high on the waitlist for funding. UConn and UPenn told me to wait until mid-late April. Temple told me to accept an offer from another school if I have one.

Does s/he commute to Albany from NYC? 

Yes, he commutes to Albany from NYC and has teaching jobs in both places. Don't give up hope - lots of schools pull from their waitlists well into april.