Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help. I got rejected/waitlisted from all my top choices. Now I'm trying to decide between those two programs.

CUNY

Pros: rank (28th), stipend (28K/year for 5 years), location

Cons: department and current students don't seem very supportive or friendly 

Albany

Pros: attention and support from students and facluty

Cons: rank (36th), stipend (17k/year for 4 years), location

Although I originally wanted to go to CUNY,  I don't know if I like the department culture there. Some people work outside and students have to teach their own classes at a CUNY college from second year. As far as I know, many don't get funding and work menial jobs. I felt cohort members don't really hang out together. I saw almost no collaboration between faculty members and students that resulted in publication at CUNY.

On the other hand, everyone gets funding at Albany and there are ample opportunities to work on projects and publish papers with faculty. Students work as a TA/RA for two professors for 3 years.

I feel like I have to be on my own and know what I'm doing at CUNY while Albany will hold my hands and show me what I'm supposed to do. I'm torn.

36 minutes ago, eastcoastkid said:

Although I originally wanted to go to CUNY,  I don't know if I like the department culture there. Some people work outside and students have to teach their own classes at a CUNY college from second year. As far as I know, many don't get funding and work menial jobs. I felt cohort members don't really hang out together. I saw almost no collaboration between faculty members and students that resulted in publication at CUNY.

I wouldn't go to a department whose culture I don't like. Having a supportive cohort was extremely important to me, and I cut out many departments from my list because they encouraged competition between peers more than collaboration. Some people thrive in competition, but I find it stressful and unpleasant.

On 3/27/2018 at 4:56 PM, eastcoastkid said:

I need some help. I got rejected/waitlisted from all my top choices. Now I'm trying to decide between those two programs.

CUNY

Pros: rank (28th), stipend (28K/year for 5 years), location

Cons: department and current students don't seem very supportive or friendly 

28k for 5 years is as good as funding gets at cuny, you should go. 

you also get access to all the faculty members in the greater NYC area. 

Just called Boston University and was told I was rejected. I don't know why they haven't physically released decisions but if you're still waiting, give them a call.

• 11 months later...