Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

Hi all! I can claim one of the UNC Chapel Hill acceptances! I got a call this afternoon from the department chair (who is also a POI I mentioned in my personal statement).

Best lunch break surprise ever! :) 

30 minutes ago, capslock said:

Hi all! I can claim one of the UNC Chapel Hill acceptances! I got a call this afternoon from the department chair (who is also a POI I mentioned in my personal statement).

Best lunch break surprise ever! :) 

Congratulations!! One of the Profs from my MA program went there and actually a person from my cohort completed a degree there a couple years ago. That’s awesome! 

3 hours ago, Madelene said:

Anyone want to claim these UNC acceptances? Help quell this anxiety please!! :) 

I can also claim one of them. Whoever wrote the thing about the owl post on the results forum, I can't wait to meet you! Accio PhD.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:48 AM, latemeg said:

Seconded; I'd love to hear what kind of stats are getting acceptances this early! 

I don't mind talking about my stats, but I don't want to post them publicly. Feel free to PM me if you want more info. 

Hello all! I've been stalking all you and decided it is time for me to interact. I am finishing my masters now at a state school in Texas. I have applied to only 5 programs, which now seems like the worst decision- Boulder, Rutgers, Northeaster, CUNY, and Wayne State- all based on research interests and professors with similar or overlapping interests. I have a great CV- presentations, no publications, research intern, TA for years, started a non-profit. I did absolutely terrible on the GRE because of 5 surgeries last year (mentioned this in my statement). So, basically, I am freaking out looking at everyone's amazing scores and accomplishments. I am hoping and waiting like all of you and wish everyone the best of luck! For anyone who has gone through this before, how appropriate is it to call the school and ask for an update? Thanks!

38 minutes ago, NinaMistina said:

For anyone who has gone through this before, how appropriate is it to call the school and ask for an update? Thanks!

I think it’s too early to do it, personally! Depending on your deadlines, it’s between a fortnight and a month since applications closed. I think late Feb is the earliest appropriate time ... I know how annoying that might be to hear tho!

17 hours ago, R1001 said:

Also, I can claim the Kent State acceptance and UTK interview.

Congrats on the UTK interview! I currently work at UTK. Let me know if you have any questions about the university or about Knoxville :) 

Edited by travelmug1Q84
Congrats on the Kent State acceptance too

On 1/23/2018 at 9:35 AM, pinoysoc said:

Congrats to all the acceptances!

I'm already in survival mode and planning to retake the GRE in May. I thought this time, I was going to be more confident, but my abysmal GRE scores is making my anxiety run high. I haven't heard from any schools yet; however after comparing my 146/144/3.5  to everyone else's scores, I'm not that confident that I'll be getting in this year 

: (

If you're looking to improve for the GRE I second @qualsoc2018 Magoosh suggestion. They helped me so much with my GRE studying. Sometimes they offer a discount too so be on the lookout for that. They are still a lot cheaper than some of the alternatives and very flexible to your schedule. They also have a lot of things that are free like their vocabulary app, their blog, and their ebooks. I think their vocabulary app helped me go from the 150s to the 160s in the verbal section and vocab is my weakest area in the GRE. I also prefer Magoosh for the verbal section in general over Manhattan. I also recommend vocabulary.com. I think they have the Baron's GRE 500 words on there that you can save and quiz yourself on. I like that on the website you can play the vocab as a game and that it tests if you know the vocab through different methods. For quant, I realized I needed to do more practice problems in order to understand the concepts so chugging through the Manhattan 5lb book helped. 

16 hours ago, NinaMistina said:

Hello all! I've been stalking all you and decided it is time for me to interact. I am finishing my masters now at a state school in Texas. I have applied to only 5 programs, which now seems like the worst decision- Boulder, Rutgers, Northeaster, CUNY, and Wayne State- all based on research interests and professors with similar or overlapping interests. I have a great CV- presentations, no publications, research intern, TA for years, started a non-profit. I did absolutely terrible on the GRE because of 5 surgeries last year (mentioned this in my statement). So, basically, I am freaking out looking at everyone's amazing scores and accomplishments. I am hoping and waiting like all of you and wish everyone the best of luck! For anyone who has gone through this before, how appropriate is it to call the school and ask for an update? Thanks!

Hey! We got some similar schools: Boulder and Rutgers. What are your research interests out of curiosity? Even though you didn't do great on the GRE, I think the fact that you started a non-profit, had presentations, been a research intern, and TA'd is awesome. That must have been horrible to have to go through 5 surgeries and I would hope the schools understand it was out of your hands. I think you accomplished a lot. I definitely can't say that I've done any of those, but I also know that I have other experiences that people don't have (I come from a non-sociology background and have experiences related to it). I guess we all have our good points and our not so good points though. Best of luck to both of us! 

Is there anyone else who got an Emory interview invit but hasn’t posted it? I haven’t received any news from them - no rejections (which came out earlier this week) or invite (which came out today) and I am freaking out :(

I just got back-to-back emails from CUNY and UT Austin! CUNY is "extremely impressed" with my application and wants to Skype on Monday (no official acceptance yet though). UT Austin accepted me outright with 6 years of funding included! I'm in absolute disbelief.

39 minutes ago, SociologyFanatic said:

I’m feeling pretty certain I didn’t get into Minnesota. I’m sad bc it was the only program I applied to. I’ve been out of school for a while (got MA in Soc in ‘09). Just venting ? Seems like a supportive group. 

It's still really early! I haven't seen any posts on the board so I don't think they've sent out any form of notification yet. What helps me when I'm getting anxious, I think about the research I've done and plan to do. I try to dwell on the big picture. Besides, I'm sure you have a really strong application anyway!

51 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

It's still really early! I haven't seen any posts on the board so I don't think they've sent out any form of notification yet. What helps me when I'm getting anxious, I think about the research I've done and plan to do. I try to dwell on the big picture. Besides, I'm sure you have a really strong application anyway!

Thanks so much! That’s really nice, I appreciate it. I’m local and can’t move (spouse with job and all that)! I started thinking about it bc I read in their website they let candidates know about acceptance mid-late Jan and then about funding “by the end of January.” That was the statement that set me off. I keep telling myself if it’s meant to be it’ll be. I’m 32 so I feel “old” to be going for it but I finally feel ready to do it so now I’m like ahhh!! I want it so bad, ya know? I guess I still haven’t received that official no but am feeling pretty down. Thanks for reading!! 

1 hour ago, SociologyFanatic said:

I’m feeling pretty certain I didn’t get into Minnesota. I’m sad bc it was the only program I applied to. I’ve been out of school for a while (got MA in Soc in ‘09). Just venting ? Seems like a supportive group. 

14 minutes ago, SociologyFanatic said:

Thanks so much! That’s really nice, I appreciate it. I’m local and can’t move (spouse with job and all that)! I started thinking about it bc I read in their website they let candidates know about acceptance mid-late Jan and then about funding “by the end of January.” That was the statement that set me off. I keep telling myself if it’s meant to be it’ll be. I’m 32 so I feel “old” to be going for it but I finally feel ready to do it so now I’m like ahhh!! I want it so bad, ya know? I guess I still haven’t received that official no but am feeling pretty down. Thanks for reading!! 

Hey there! I'm still rooting for you because it's still January and there's still time! It could be that they are doing something different this year or that there was an unexpected delay in reaching out to you. We never know until the schools actually tell us so don't lose hope! 

Also, I remember when I went to grad school for a health profession, I had a few classmates that were around your age and others that were married. They also felt the same way in both the application process and during school. You're definitely not alone. Many of us younger folk didn't mind and I think we all just saw each other as equals working towards the same goal of completing the program and becoming a health professional. It's definitely never too late to start a dream and I wish you luck. Perhaps take the time to do other things that you weren't able to do during the application process or things that you won't be able to do once you are in grad school. You've worked hard too complete your applications. You deserve a break for yourself too. :)

4 hours ago, abenz said:

Is there anyone else who got an Emory interview invit but hasn’t posted it? I haven’t received any news from them - no rejections (which came out earlier this week) or invite (which came out today) and I am freaking out :(

I didn't apply to Emory, but I think you still have a shot. I also freaked out when I saw the Rutgers interviews and kept thinking the worst. A few days later, I got an invite. It might be that they are doing it in batches, or your particular interviewer is still figuring out time slots they can do interviews. Crossing my fingers for you!

1 hour ago, manofthehoff said:

I just got back-to-back emails from CUNY and UT Austin! CUNY is "extremely impressed" with my application and wants to Skype on Monday (no official acceptance yet though). UT Austin accepted me outright with 6 years of funding included! I'm in absolute disbelief.

7 minutes ago, nandoswitharando said:

Just got into UT Austin with six years of funding (same number of years I got from Irvine)! It's relieving to know I got into one program, even more so to know that at least two programs want me. Negotiation awaits!

Congrats UT Austin admits! I saw a bunch of you in the results page and thought that was awesome. Also great job landing that interview @manofthehoff

32 minutes ago, nandoswitharando said:

Just got into UT Austin with six years of funding (same number of years I got from Irvine)! It's relieving to know I got into one program, even more so to know that at least two programs want me. Negotiation awaits!

Congrats! How did you hear about funding for Irvine? I was told I was fully funded but haven't received anything official yet.

22 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

Congrats! How did you hear about funding for Irvine? I was told I was fully funded but haven't received anything official yet.

A prof called me a couple of hours before I got the official email. During that call, they said I'd get six years of funding (with exact amounts TBD because fellowship nomination deadlines are approaching).

1 hour ago, MintChocoChip said:

Crossing my fingers for you!

Thanks @MintChocoChip - appreciate the support. It’s just both the school I like best and the School I think I’m most likely to get into (based on fit, grades, relationships wth faculty). Hoping for some good news today - it’s nearly 9am my time so gotta wait a full day for any updates!

I really feel like I won't get in anywhere now (since I have a less than stellar profile), and I have no desire to try again next year (for a lot of reasons, plus I don't feel like there's any way I can "improve" my application in any significant way, since I suspect that if I take the GRE again, I'll score just as badly on math as I did this time; I got 150). I feel at a loss about what I should do now. I know it's early but I've basically given up at this point.