2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

If I reply to this, will it become "buried"?

It seems like December flew by after submitting my apps. I decided to apply to 3 MA programs, so I'll have to wait those out too.....

I'm thinking January will be the same, at least for me with my workload. :) 

I'm so excited to see everyone's results!

I just saw on the survey page someone already received an interview via email from The University Of Massachusetts Amherst. Please, come forward, haha! I also applied and submitted a while ago in Septemeber. My last LOR was submitted on January 1st. The app deadline isn't until Jan 15th. How have you already received an interview invite? 

Hey that was me - I submitted my app 13 Dec so about a month before. I emailed my POI and we set up a meeting when I was back in Massachusetts (my family lives about 40 mins west of Amherst). My POI considered it an interview since we talked about the program, doctoral research, etc. I wouldn’t think to much of it though, My poi said that they won’t start reveiwing until a week after so to make sure all the documents are in. 

7 hours ago, Bschaefer said:

Hey that was me - I submitted my app 13 Dec so about a month before. I emailed my POI and we set up a meeting when I was back in Massachusetts (my family lives about 40 mins west of Amherst). My POI considered it an interview since we talked about the program, doctoral research, etc. I wouldn’t think to much of it though, My poi said that they won’t start reveiwing until a week after so to make sure all the documents are in. 

@Bschaefer ah, okay. I had just over an hour long Skype interview with my POI back in September. Seeing as they took around 4 months to actually have time for it, I guess I wouldn't receive a yay or nay from them right away. Congrats either way! Should I view my Skype chat as an interview? I'm not sure. 

Is it your top choice? It is my top choice as a historical archaeologist. 

37 minutes ago, waltzforzizi said:

@Bschaefer ah, okay. I had just over an hour long Skype interview with my POI back in September. Seeing as they took around 4 months to actually have time for it, I guess I wouldn't receive a yay or nay from them right away. Congrats either way! Should I view my Skype chat as an interview? I'm not sure. 

Is it your top choice? It is my top choice as a historical archaeologist. 

Thanks! Yeah, I would - I’ve had a few before the application was due. I think it helps because it can narrow down who is actually interested in working with the prof or who is eager to actually meet even if it was just a skype interview. 

UMass is definitely top 3, especially after my interview. 

2 hours ago, Archaeodan said:

@phyanth That would be me! Thanks! Kinda came out of left field, but I'm happy about it nonetheless! 

Ahh, so happy for you! Did you have contact with a POI before submitting an app?

@phyanth Thanks!! I did...kinda? A little. Like two emails back and forth. POI and my masters advisor are pals, so maybe that helped? This was one I was kinda expecting not to get anything for, tbh. In my first email to POI, I addressed it to the wrong person :blink:  So that was fun. There was further conversation, so hopefully she forgave me lol.

On 1/3/2018 at 5:49 PM, phyanth said:

It looks like there are two more interviews for University of Minnesota! Hopefully other schools will notify even sooner than anticipated :) 

Yeah I was offered an interview mid December. The interview is this Friday and I’m so freakin nervous!!! 

Still haven’t heard anything from any others I applied to ?

26 minutes ago, ggianniko said:

A professor from Yale contacted me for an interview but he is not mentioned in my letter. I have not applied for the Antrhopology program. Anyone any idea what this interview means?

Wait, which program did you apply to? Is the professor from the Anth dept?

Also, when were you contacted for an interview?

Sorry for the interrogation, ha.

2 minutes ago, phyanth said:

Wait, which program did you apply to? Is the professor from the Anth dept?

Also, when were you contacted for an interview?

Sorry for the interrogation, ha.

I have applied for an Engineering program. You just said about Yale, so maybe you wanted to know how they operate. He sent me an email on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, ggianniko said:

I have applied for an Engineering program. You just said about Yale, so maybe you wanted to know how they operate. He sent me an email on Saturday.

Ahhh, gotcha. Thank you, I appreciate it!

As far as your interview, take it as a good sign! They only interview people that they are interested in accepting, so you’re one step further to possibly being admitted :)