Jump to content
phyanth

2018 Interviews and Results Thread

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, EvelynD said:

By the way, today there was this item on the news (here, in the Netherlands!) about an American kid who applied at 20 schools and got admitted into all of them. I literally cried when I saw the video they made of his first acceptance. 

I saw this too! soooo wonderful. We have to meet up once you're here and settled :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/03/2018 at 10:23 PM, AnthroChick21 said:

Nothing, and it's driving me crazy! I'm not sure if I should send an email or just keep waiting...

Hey, so I decided that even if I was going to get in to Pitt, I'd pick one of the places I got in to already. So I just went ahead and made my decision. (It hasn't sunken in yet - I'm going to grad school!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tamaloo said:

Hey, so I decided that even if I was going to get in to Pitt, I'd pick one of the places I got in to already. So I just went ahead and made my decision. (It hasn't sunken in yet - I'm going to grad school!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kaitlynjoy Can you tell us some more information about yourself? How to improve depends crucially on what you've done already. For example, if you applied in your senior year of undergrad, at a traditional age, the advice that would help you is probably pretty different than the people who've been living in Japan for ten years with a sociology bachelor's degree, who are now looking to switch fields.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2018 at 6:18 PM, Kaitlynjoy said:

Anyone have recommendations for someone who didn't get accepted this round? Any advice on how to spend the next year so I have a better chance?

Hey! Feel free to PM me. I had to do this last year, and am more than willing to chat if you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2018 at 6:36 PM, hats said:

@Kaitlynjoy Can you tell us some more information about yourself? How to improve depends crucially on what you've done already. For example, if you applied in your senior year of undergrad, at a traditional age, the advice that would help you is probably pretty different than the people who've been living in Japan for ten years with a sociology bachelor's degree, who are now looking to switch fields.

I applied in my senior year of undergrad, graduating on time, etc. Changed my focus to skeletal/forensic anth my senior year from med anth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys!

About 3 weeks ago I committed to a program that I am really excited about. I sent an email to my advisors and an administrative person as requested in my acceptance letter, and then also called to confirm with the department's front office a few days later to confirm that it had been received. The problem I'm facing now is that I haven't received any sort of contact from the department since. Is this normal and should I just keep waiting for more information or should I call/email my contacts in the department to see what next steps I should be taking?

I know that these past few weeks have been pretty heavy with conferences and all of the other usual spring obligations, but I'm trying to plan a move across multiple states and I'm still not even sure what I need to be doing to enroll in courses, etc. I have no idea what the proper etiquette would be in this situation, or if it's normal to have this kind of radio silence. 

Basically, I was really excited about this program and confirming my attendance, but now I'm worried that they weren't as interested in me as I thought or that I've made a mistake in my decision. I have no idea if this is the normal process or if I need to be more proactive in contacting my advisors and the department. Any advice on how to move forward or handle this would be greatly appreciated!

(Also I wasn't sure if this was the right thread to post this in, let me know if I'm not being relevant and I can post somewhere else!)

Edited by towerbridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't speak to other people's experiences, but after I accepted my offer last year I got a quick note - maybe two sentences - from my DGS confirming that they had seen my acceptance and were looking forward to seeing me in the Fall.  I didn't hear anything else from them until mid-June, which is when they sent along a giant packet with orientation information, insurance/tax forms, my first TA assignment, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, towerbridge said:

Hey Guys!

About 3 weeks ago I committed to a program that I am really excited about. I sent an email to my advisors and an administrative person as requested in my acceptance letter, and then also called to confirm with the department's front office a few days later to confirm that it had been received. The problem I'm facing now is that I haven't received any sort of contact from the department since. Is this normal and should I just keep waiting for more information or should I call/email my contacts in the department to see what next steps I should be taking?

I know that these past few weeks have been pretty heavy with conferences and all of the other usual spring obligations, but I'm trying to plan a move across multiple states and I'm still not even sure what I need to be doing to enroll in courses, etc. I have no idea what the proper etiquette would be in this situation, or if it's normal to have this kind of radio silence. 

Basically, I was really excited about this program and confirming my attendance, but now I'm worried that they weren't as interested in me as I thought or that I've made a mistake in my decision. I have no idea if this is the normal process or if I need to be more proactive in contacting my advisors and the department. Any advice on how to move forward or handle this would be greatly appreciated!

(Also I wasn't sure if this was the right thread to post this in, let me know if I'm not being relevant and I can post somewhere else!)

This is completely normal. As long as someone confirmed that they got your acceptance, you are fine (You did get an actual confirmation that they received your acceptance, right...?). Do not panic! They probably do not have anything like course offerings, teaching assignments or dates for new student orientations  nailed down yet. They probably will not have any of that ready for you for another month at the minimum. It has nothing to do with you or how much they do/do not want you there. Furthermore, those details have nothing to do with your move across the country. You can and should start planning now without waiting to hear from your advisors or the department. If you need help figuring out the next steps for your big move, there are some really great boards here at grad cafe with plenty of helpful advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, museum_geek said:

I can't speak to other people's experiences, but after I accepted my offer last year I got a quick note - maybe two sentences - from my DGS confirming that they had seen my acceptance and were looking forward to seeing me in the Fall.  I didn't hear anything else from them until mid-June, which is when they sent along a giant packet with orientation information, insurance/tax forms, my first TA assignment, etc.

This has been my experience so far as well. I was told that the giant packet will be along in "a bit".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, oroanthro said:

This is completely normal. As long as someone confirmed that they got your acceptance, you are fine (You did get an actual confirmation that they received your acceptance, right...?). Do not panic! They probably do not have anything like course offerings, teaching assignments or dates for new student orientations  nailed down yet. They probably will not have any of that ready for you for another month at the minimum. It has nothing to do with you or how much they do/do not want you there. Furthermore, those details have nothing to do with your move across the country. You can and should start planning now without waiting to hear from your advisors or the department. If you need help figuring out the next steps for your big move, there are some really great boards here at grad cafe with plenty of helpful advice. 

Thanks for all of your advice. It's good to hear that I'm just being paranoid! I did call the department a few days after my email didn't get a response to confirm that my acceptance was received and noted on the right lists and things. My main concern regarding the move wasn't that I needed specific information from the department, but more that I might be planning this move without the right confirmation or missing some crucial piece of knowledge.

Hopefully I didn't come across as self centered or expecting to be fawned over in my original post, I'm just in a place where I'm very nervous/excited for this whole experience and I'm letting that get to me. I know that I am capable and ready for graduate school, I just still keep half expecting to get an email telling me they made a mistake accepting me!

Once again, thank you so much, I hope everyone else is having a great transition into summer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, towerbridge said:

I know that I am capable and ready for graduate school, I just still keep half expecting to get an email telling me they made a mistake accepting me!

I've been in my program for a year and I'm still expecting this to happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, towerbridge said:

 I just still keep half expecting to get an email telling me they made a mistake accepting me!

I know the feeling! And you didn't sound selfish or anything, just really nervous. Good luck with your move and congratulations on your acceptance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018 at 4:42 PM, towerbridge said:

Hey Guys!

About 3 weeks ago I committed to a program that I am really excited about. I sent an email to my advisors and an administrative person as requested in my acceptance letter, and then also called to confirm with the department's front office a few days later to confirm that it had been received. The problem I'm facing now is that I haven't received any sort of contact from the department since. Is this normal and should I just keep waiting for more information or should I call/email my contacts in the department to see what next steps I should be taking?

I know that these past few weeks have been pretty heavy with conferences and all of the other usual spring obligations, but I'm trying to plan a move across multiple states and I'm still not even sure what I need to be doing to enroll in courses, etc. I have no idea what the proper etiquette would be in this situation, or if it's normal to have this kind of radio silence. 

Basically, I was really excited about this program and confirming my attendance, but now I'm worried that they weren't as interested in me as I thought or that I've made a mistake in my decision. I have no idea if this is the normal process or if I need to be more proactive in contacting my advisors and the department. Any advice on how to move forward or handle this would be greatly appreciated!

(Also I wasn't sure if this was the right thread to post this in, let me know if I'm not being relevant and I can post somewhere else!)

Yeah I wouldn’t worry - A lot of professors are heading into the final period (as I am with my Intro course) and are terrible about emailing back. I just signed up for classes in the fall and just got an email from the DGS about my request that I sent about a month ago. Totally normal for them to be all over the place. Plus, there was a few conferences recently and that could be affecting them as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.