Fun Post: Best and Craziest Backup Plans

On 12/29/2017 at 5:51 PM, Left Skew said:

Best and Craziest: Find a 9-to-5 job. Spend my nights crying myself to sleep, but capture my tears. I'll save my tears until I can fill a bath tub. Proceed to bath in my tears, but record it and post it on social media. The post will go viral, igniting my YouTube career. In my videos, I'll call out all those who've rejected me in the past; though I will still cry myself to sleep at night. 

*crying laughing face* this is hilarious, I love this so much

A "crazy" proposition that I actually heavily considered several years ago: Spend a year traveling around East Asia, taking class at all the top dance schools, auditioning to become a K-pop or J-pop star and/or backup dancer, and generally honing my dance skills.

As you can see, that didn't pan out too well.

Another backup plan I had for a while was to enlist in the military...........

Edited by dancedementia

Unfortunately I think it's time to for me to come to terms with the fact I need a backup plan :(

Fun plan: abandon academia/research/psychology (/my life goals) and become a dog trainer. Because that won't provide a substantial income, I'll also be a competitive pokemon player on the side. :D

My serious backup plan: Get an RA / lab manager / whatever job for a year and try again! The supervisor that I'm currently a research coordinator is retiring this summer, so she can't continue to give me experience and money for much longer.

Speaking of which, I was wondering: does anyone knows of any resources/forums/mailing lists to hear about (paid) RA position openings? I'm hoping to get one in social psychology - hopefully in prejudice/stereotyping/intergroup relations / something relevant to that. I know I should check potential supervisor's websites frequently, maybe also look at their social media (especially their twitters), and I'm on the SPSP mailing list. Does anyone know any other good resources? 

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

I'm so not in the Psychology field, but this topic is too good to pass up on.

Best: Get a job at a Study Abroad company and cry over student-as-number's type scenarios for a year before applying again.

Crazy Plan: Go volunteer at a Buddhist Monastery for a year and finally get good at practicing mindfulness, turn off all electronics, focus on coming to terms with myself and the world. (For those interested, yes, sometimes you can trade a needed skill for room-and-board at monasteries or similar places. For me it'd be I.T./website help, some people cook, do carpentry, farming, etc.)

Is it bad that I've already fully researched my crazy back up plan? 

• 1 year later...
On 12/29/2017 at 10:52 PM, Eigen said:

My wife and I always talked about combining raising corgis with a coffee shop. Coffee and Corgis. 

We'd have a big amphitheater-like pen with pillows and corgi puppies, so people could get coffee and then go play with the puppies. Ideally right off campus somewhere. 

I'll be your haunter. I'm fond of corgis and pugs.  There is a pug cafe in my town. I'll be the happiest person in the world if there is a corgi cafe somewhere in this universe :)

21 hours ago, jimbim said:

I'll be your haunter. I'm fond of corgis and pugs.  There is a pug cafe in my town. I'll be the happiest person in the world if there is a corgi cafe somewhere in this universe :)

A pug cafe? What a glorious establishment!

• 2 weeks later...

My response is long overdue but

Best: Restart the position I rejected earlier this year (They are still hoping that I would work for them) while re-preparing for the admission cycle

Worst: Continue to teach English abroad (=Taking another gap year) before reapplying. Gotta make that money