Canadian Masters in English Lit

Hey!

I just finished applying to UBT UoT and McGill university. I know most people here are submitting to American schools but are there any applicants for Canada? Or people who already study there? I'm an international student and didn't have the time to do the GRE :(

Any luck for past applicants that know anything about the process?

• 1 month later...

I am! But I know nothing about it, ha. Last year I applied to Toronto and received a postal rejection in mid-March. Not sure if paper is typical or if that info is remotely helpful! I’m an American with an American BA. 

Oh! Also, for non-Canadians: Toronto received ~200 MA applications last year, had a class of somewhere between 30-45, and only accepted ONE non-Canadian. 

21 hours ago, la_mod said:

Oh! Also, for non-Canadians: Toronto received ~200 MA applications last year, had a class of somewhere between 30-45, and only accepted ONE non-Canadian. 

Wow that's insane!

I'm an American with a non American BA in English (currently in my final year).

I have yet to hear from any program, from what I understand that send them out much later than American schools. 

Good luck to you all!

What areas of focus are you all in?

I'm aiming for Early Modern Drama (Ford, Webster, Shakespeare)

2 hours ago, BlessMeWithSnow said:

I have yet to hear from any program, from what I understand that send them out much later than American schools. 

I think UBC tends to announce around the same time as American schools but that's all I know. 

I'm interested in postcolonial theory, and indigenous lit 

2 hours ago, BlessMeWithSnow said:

Wow that's insane!

I'm an American with a non American BA in English (currently in my final year).

Good luck to you all!

What areas of focus are you all in?

I'm aiming for Early Modern Drama (Ford, Webster, Shakespeare)

I’m C20 British! Mostly Modernism.

Bless this Canadian thread. I have been scanning all other threads and am overwhelmed seeing all the American acceptances already!

I am currently finishing up my English Honours undergrad (Canadian university) right now and have applied to UBC and McGill for the MA in English.

Question: on your grad application portal, what is your "application status"? My applications were fully submitted by the first week of January (reference letters included), yet my status still says "Submitted". Shouldn't it be "Under Review" by this point? My friend who applied to similar schools for her MA in History has the same situation/question. 

Best of luck to all :) 

Edited by writethebeats

9 hours ago, writethebeats said:

Bless this Canadian thread. I have been scanning all other threads and am overwhelmed seeing all the American acceptances already!

I am currently finishing up my English Honours undergrad (Canadian university) right now and have applied to UBC and McGill for the MA in English.

Question: on your grad application portal, what is your "application status"? My applications were fully submitted by the first week of January (reference letters included), yet my status still says "Submitted". Shouldn't it be "Under Review" by this point? My friend who applied to similar schools for her MA in History has the same situation/question. 

Hey, good luck!

My status on both portals (McGill and UBC) is "Submitted" too. Only UofT has mine written as "Under Review"

15 hours ago, writethebeats said:

My UBC portal says "Submitted" at first, and then when I click "Manage" it shows that my status is "In Progress". Sometimes you kind of have to dig around the application portal to find another status other than submitted!

5 minutes ago, BlessMeWithSnow said:

I know it’s still early, but there haven’t been many posters in the past couple of years - anyone heard anything yet? :D

Nope! Been checking results for the past few years for all the schools I applied to, and it's all over the place. Zero consistency from one year to the next, ha. 

I applied for the phd in english at Mcgill and my application status still says "submitted" and not "under review" !!! I am freaking out - anyone have this same situation? I'm tempted to email the department and query, although I know this is not something I should do! 

2 hours ago, RainDays said:

I applied for the phd in english at Mcgill and my application status still says "submitted" and not "under review" !!! I am freaking out - anyone have this same situation? I'm tempted to email the department and query, although I know this is not something I should do! 

While mine is for the Masters program, my application says the same thing. I am stressed.

It's really strange. Especially because historically, from what I can see on the results pages here, McGill notifies successful applicants relatively early on (at least for PhD, and a few MAs). I think the only explanation is that they literally haven't opened/begun reviewing ours yet. That has to be it? Unless they have begun reviewing ours but have just neglected to change the statuses. 

I admit I called IT services at McGill and they told me they couldn't tell if my application had been opened or not by the department. No reassurance to be had.  

5 minutes ago, RainDays said:

It's really strange. Especially because historically, from what I can see on the results pages here, McGill notifies successful applicants relatively early on (at least for PhD, and a few MAs). I think the only explanation is that they literally haven't opened/begun reviewing ours yet. That has to be it? Unless they have begun reviewing ours but have just neglected to change the statuses. 

That's so frustrating. I was hoping for notification by early March, but now I'm not so sure that will transpire. My general impression is that most of the Canadian universities are way behind on review times.

I saw a few acceptances for other Humanities programs (History, French Lit), so hopefully that means that English will be on the docket soon.

7 hours ago, writethebeats said:

While mine is for the Masters program, my application says the same thing. I am stressed.

Mine says the same thing and I've also applied for the Masters program. 

Congrats for the acceptance into Teaching though!

7 hours ago, RainDays said:

I admit I called IT services at McGill and they told me they couldn't tell if my application had been opened or not by the department. No reassurance to be had.  

I'm not sure that the 'submitted' is even going to change before it turns to 'Decision Made.' Hopefully they'll start sending out answers by the end of Feburary. Fingers crossed for all of us!

Hahah yeah, my question exactly. I emailed the graduate coordinator at McGill twice and she never responded. Anyone hear of any acceptances of rejections from McGill for English? MA/PhD? This is crazy! 

On 2/12/2018 at 9:01 PM, writethebeats said:

Soooooo when exactly is it too early to contact the DGS? *nervous laughter*