2018 App Cycle

25 minutes ago, GradGirl90 said:

Hey guys!

Thought I would chime in with my anxiousness! I am still waiting to hear from U of Cincinnati, UMass Lowell, UCF, and FSU. I just had a phone call yesterday from Sam Houston and was invited to their school on March 1st!

Looks like I'll be seeing ya there @Mopar18

That's great!

Good luck with your other apps. I'm still waiting on ASU, Texas State, and UNLV as the only other true Crim programs I applied to (also applied to a couple Public Policy and a Soc program where I can still have a Crim emphasis).

Currently working on the Sam Houston stuff which is kind of a pain but whatever, better paperwork than paying out of pocket! 

RE: Scholarship Awards at FSU. Just checked the MyFSU portal, so perhaps this means funding decisions?
"The Financial Aid Office is processing 2018/2019 awards. Please check back on February 8th after 8:00 am. You can still view your 2017/2018 awards in your student center."

56 minutes ago, Mopar18 said:

That's great!

Good luck with your other apps. I'm still waiting on ASU, Texas State, and UNLV as the only other true Crim programs I applied to (also applied to a couple Public Policy and a Soc program where I can still have a Crim emphasis).

Currently working on the Sam Houston stuff which is kind of a pain but whatever, better paperwork than paying out of pocket! 

Same. I got an email from them to use Payment works. I've never filled out one of the forms they are asking for so that's been interesting. We should meet up!

1 hour ago, GradGirl90 said:

Same. I got an email from them to use Payment works. I've never filled out one of the forms they are asking for so that's been interesting. We should meet up!

Yeah, I felt the same way. 

I'm game for a meet up!

20 hours ago, Jinxstar said:

RE: Scholarship Awards at FSU. Just checked the MyFSU portal, so perhaps this means funding decisions?
"The Financial Aid Office is processing 2018/2019 awards. Please check back on February 8th after 8:00 am. You can still view your 2017/2018 awards in your student center."

I can't see anything on my Portal. Ok. Thanks for giving some info about funding. I will check my Portal tomorrow morning.

5 hours ago, __Anonymous__ said:

I got a voicemail about my acceptance. They did mention a visit "later in the spring", but that was all. I haven't received an official email or letter or anything. 

This makes me feel better. I haven't gotten an email either. They did tell me they'll be able to tell me more about funding afterwards which is my big concern because they didn't sound overly optimistic.

Hi Applicants - Congrats on acceptances and try to keep calm to those still waiting! I know it's nerve wracking.

I've debated posting, but ultimately decided to dole out some internet advice that I'm really glad someone gave me on this site when I was applying to PhD programs years ago.

So, from a TT AP (at a school w/o a PhD program, so no skin in the game), my main advice to those deciding on/between PhD programs is absolutely do not go to a program unless they fully fund you. There are many reasons for this, but chief among them:  

• the debt you will incur w/o funding is enormous and you'll struggle to ever pay it off;
  • w/o funding you won't gain research & TA experience and develop close working relationships with faculty - this will harm you in many ways as a student;
  • if the program does not fund you then they are either on shaky financial ground and/or don't value you enough (this says *nothing* about your actual ability or worth); 
  • if some students are funding & others aren't (which may change year to year) it breeds a competitive environment that will be difficult to exist in for years

I know this may not be welcome advice, but I assure you that you'll be much better off in the long run if you wait a year, beef up your CV, and apply again if your only option is an unfunded/under-funded package.

Edited by TTAPinCCJ

@TTAPinCCJ--I have been told this from a few of my faculty mentors. After getting two unfunded offers from programs I loved, I am waiting to hear on the other three programs to which I have applied. 
I am doing what I can to remain optimistic, as this track is the only career I've had my heart set on at any point, and busted my butt for it for the past few years. I'm not really sure where to go or what to do if it does not work out. I worried that, in the desperation, I may accept an unfunded offer in hopes that I may secure funding later. Yet, here's your post that reminds me why I should not. Thanks for that.

@jinxstar I'm sorry to hear that it's been frustrating. I assure you that you're better off waiting another year, beefing up your research experience & contacting faculty in departments, and applying again next year. Unfunded with hope of future funding isn't a good strategy, as you know, and may well results in no funding.

Happy to answer any questions you (or others) have. I got a lot out of this site myself, so in the spirit of paying it forward, I'll check back periodically during application season.

@TTAPinCCJ that's good advice and what I've been told as well. Kind of why it made me a little sad because ASU was one of my top choices. Luckily, I do have a funded offer at another one of my top choice schools so that's really relieved a lot of the pressure and I feel like I have some more leverage or wiggle room that way.

13 hours ago, Mopar18 said:

This makes me feel better. I haven't gotten an email either. They did tell me they'll be able to tell me more about funding afterwards which is my big concern because they didn't sound overly optimistic.

Wait, they said they would tell you more about funding AFTER the visit? That seems weird especially since it sounds like the visit is at least a couple months away. My voicemail did not mention funding at all, or anything really, other than the fact I was accepted. Hoping something a little more detailed will come through this week... 

5 minutes ago, __Anonymous__ said:

Wait, they said they would tell you more about funding AFTER the visit? That seems weird especially since it sounds like the visit is at least a couple months away. My voicemail did not mention funding at all, or anything really, other than the fact I was accepted. Hoping something a little more detailed will come through this week... 

They told me that regarding funding it wasn't definitive but they can't offer any to me at the moment but that they would give me the bottom line after the visit in March. So, not going to hold my breath but I just want to ride it out and see what happens in the end. 

10 minutes ago, Plzacceptme said:

Finally heard back from Cincinnati. I got in! What a relief. Letter said tuition waived, other funding decisions are pending for the next couple weeks. Very excited!

Congrats!!! How exciting. Is it your top choice? I heard back and got waitlisted. I'm just glad it's finally done. Now just waiting on Maryland...

55 minutes ago, __Anonymous__ said:

Congrats!!! How exciting. Is it your top choice? I heard back and got waitlisted. I'm just glad it's finally done. Now just waiting on Maryland...

I’m waiting on Maryland yet too. That’s my last big one. The other two I’m waiting on are in-state social work schools and I’m feeling pretty confident with those. Objectively, Maryland is my top choice, but funding and research offers are a huge component for me. What are you thinking for your top choices?

33 minutes ago, Plzacceptme said:

I’m waiting on Maryland yet too. That’s my last big one. The other two I’m waiting on are in-state social work schools and I’m feeling pretty confident with those. Objectively, Maryland is my top choice, but funding and research offers are a huge component for me. What are you thinking for your top choices?

My top choices have been Albany and Cincinnati. (I applied to 7 programs.) I heard some negative things about Maryland after applying (super competitive environment among students, fighting for funding, etc.) so that turned me off a bit, but who knows if that's even true or not. 

Has anyone heard from Harvard GSAS concerning Ethnomusicology. I've had interviews with all the other 3 schools I applied to and an offer from one but I still haven't heard from Harvard. Does this mean a rejection since I haven't even been contacted for an interview? I wish they would hurry up so I can decide whether to accept the offer from the other school. Also, i've  been ivited for the Graduate student visit from that school and since I'm an international student, I would rather combine all visits rather than travel to the US multiple times in March. 

3 hours ago, __Anonymous__ said:

My top choices have been Albany and Cincinnati. (I applied to 7 programs.) I heard some negative things about Maryland after applying (super competitive environment among students, fighting for funding, etc.) so that turned me off a bit, but who knows if that's even true or not. 

Did you hear anything about Albany? My top choices also are Albany and Cincinnati. Since I got master from Cincinnati, I know about Cincinnati. But, I have no idea about U of Albany.