2018 App Cycle

2 hours ago, JJustice said:

Did you hear anything about Albany? My top choices also are Albany and Cincinnati. Since I got master from Cincinnati, I know about Cincinnati. But, I have no idea about U of Albany.  

I got accepted to Albany on January 8th. I'm surprised you haven't heard anything yet! 

1 hour ago, __Anonymous__ said:

I got accepted to Albany on January 8th. I'm surprised you haven't heard anything yet! 

Oh..I must have confused you. Sorry. I also got accepted to Albany.  I mean,  have you heard some negative things about Albany like Maryland? Or good things?

8 hours ago, JJustice said:

Oh..I must have confused you. Sorry. I also got accepted to Albany.  I mean,  have you heard some negative things about Albany like Maryland? Or good things?

Oh! Yes, sorry, I was confused ? I have heard both good and bad things about Albany, but my knowledge is pretty limited. I heard only good things from a former student, and some bad from a former professor. 

I have an "informal" Skype interview tomorrow morning. Any advice?

I've done a lot of research on the program and pulled the CVs of the interviewers and the faculty members' with whom I am interested in working. I also have my "elevator pitch" for my research, and re-read my statement of purpose. 

2 hours ago, Action_Heroine said:

Just got my first acceptance! I'm so happy. (And relieved!) Texas State, four years' guaranteed funding, plus additional summer teaching/research opportunities. Still waiting to hear back from five programs.

Congrats!!

I too applied to Texas State, guess I should (hopefully) be hearing from them soon as well.

1 hour ago, Jinxstar said:

I have an "informal" Skype interview tomorrow morning. Any advice?

I've done a lot of research on the program and pulled the CVs of the interviewers and the faculty members' with whom I am interested in working. I also have my "elevator pitch" for my research, and re-read my statement of purpose. 

Those are the main things to be prepared to answer about! You’ll do great. Some programs throw in general job interview questions, like problems you’ve encountered in research and how you overcame them, but the process is much more comfortable in my experience because it’s all about discussing your past research, your current interests, and your knowledge about the program. 

Go get ‘em. 

28 minutes ago, Mopar18 said:

Congrats!!

I too applied to Texas State, guess I should (hopefully) be hearing from them soon as well.

Thanks! Good luck. Your initials aren't M.F., are they? My email and attached letter were both addressed to me but the thing I'm supposed to sign if I accept their offer of admission had someone else's name below the signature line. This prompted a panicked phone call to the program director and a very apologetic email reply and call back from him to let me know that their offer to me stands, they just forgot to change the form to my name.  

5 minutes ago, Action_Heroine said:

Thanks! Good luck. Your initials aren't M.F., are they? My email and attached letter were both addressed to me but the thing I'm supposed to sign if I accept their offer of admission had someone else's name below the signature line. This prompted a panicked phone call to the program director and a very apologetic email reply and call back from him to let me know that their offer to me stands, they just forgot to change the form to my name.  

Thanks! and no, M.F. is someone else. That's kind of funny but I'm glad it worked out for you.

Just got my American University decision via e-mail: accepted, fully funded for 4 years. I don't think anyone on this board has mentioned them as a target school, but just in case there are lurkers I thought I would let you guys know :) 

Anyone get any updates from Maryland? Last I heard they said decisions would be out the last week in February, so I’m thinking either this week or next. That’s my last big school left so I’m very ready to start making decisions!

I got into Florida International's doctorate in international crime and justice program.  No funding, but I may have outside funding.  The decision from FIU came back so quick that it makes me feel like it wasn't very competitive at all.  I got rejected from FSU.  I only applied to one other school, and havent heard back from them yet.  The other school is a state school that I don't think anyone else has mentioned.  I have five years in real-world criminal justice experience, but that really does not seem to carry any weight whatsoever in grad applications.  I welcome any advice about FIU (Is it a good school?  Is the program any good?  Will I be able to teach criminal justice/criminology at other colleges with the degree?).  I am kind of thinking I should study and try to bring up my GRE scores, then apply to schools next round.  

14 hours ago, Harambe said:

I got into Florida International's doctorate in international crime and justice program.  No funding, but I may have outside funding.  The decision from FIU came back so quick that it makes me feel like it wasn't very competitive at all.  I got rejected from FSU.  I only applied to one other school, and havent heard back from them yet.  The other school is a state school that I don't think anyone else has mentioned.  I have five years in real-world criminal justice experience, but that really does not seem to carry any weight whatsoever in grad applications.  I welcome any advice about FIU (Is it a good school?  Is the program any good?  Will I be able to teach criminal justice/criminology at other colleges with the degree?).  I am kind of thinking I should study and try to bring up my GRE scores, then apply to schools next round.  

I know absolutely nothing about FIU or their program. However, I would not suggest accepting an un-funded offer, regardless of maybe having outside funding. I think you would be much better served waiting another year and improving all the areas of your application that you can (GRE scores, Statement of Purpose) and applying to more schools next year, ideally more than 3 if that is financially feasible for you. 

I was turned down from both schools to which I applied last year, but applied to 7 this year and have received funded offers. 

I hope you hear back from the third school and get accepted with funding! 

34 minutes ago, Plzacceptme said:

I know I’ve asked this already...but has anyone heard back from Maryland?! They said the last week in february and this has been a painfully long week already!

Hahaha I was just about to log in and reply to your previous comment, actually. I haven't heard anything yet ? 

I'm hoping that since they said "last week in February" that means that the decisions will come out IN February (i.e. today!!!). If they were going to send them tomorrow or Friday they totally should describe it as "early March". Granted, I'm probably just reading wayyy too much into their choice of words because I feel like if I have to wait a minute longer I'm going to freak out. 

Here's hopin' we hear back today, and both get in! 

I got accepted to FIU too.  Im on the fence about the program.  The school seems to be ok.  The fact that they sent me an acceptance very quick, and I was not accepted anywhere else, is kind of worrisome.  I feel like their acceptance is guaranteed, and if you're not meant to be there they will just take your money and you will end up failing out.  Not that that would be my case.  

I would ask about funding, it can't hurt.  Why do you say you are not looking for a paid doctoral program?  Do you mean you are not looking to pay?

Another thing I am considering is Michigan State's online program.  Anyone want to give any feedback?  I am looking to teach at the community college or state school level one day, as a side job.  Would the doctorate I get from MSU to hang on the wall look any different than the one people attending the school get?  Are the classes not the same?

Alright everybody...I need advice. I’m an undergrad now but applied to all PhD programs because I need the funding. I was accepted to University of Cincinnati Masters Program with guaranteed tuition waived but funding on TA/RA spots hasn’t finalized yet. I was also accepted to Maryland Masters (not PhD) with no guarantee of funding. I’m in contact with one person in the PhD program now that did undergrad the same place as me, and she said this 2018 cohort is over 20 people at Maryland...much larger than any cohort in the program now. I don’t necessarily need to be guaranteed funding in Maryland the first year of my masters, but would need it the second year (I’ll  have to reapply to the doctoral program). Can I use my tuition waiver and potential assistantship spot with cincinnati to “coerce” UMD to find me the first two years? How does negotiating funding work? Thanks in advance! I’m a first gen college student so I’m trying to keep my head above water with all of the nuances of funding and assistantships.

I've been accepted to Sam Houston with full funding, and quite honestly this school seems like a terrific fit for me. Still waiting on UMass Lowell, FSU, and UCF. From what I've been told, everyone has already received their acceptance/rejections from FSU, so it sounds like I have been waitlisted....I just don't understand why they wouldn't let me know <_<

I had an awesome visit to USF this past weekend, and there's a good funding offer. Not to be outdone, I found out today that Florida has a funding offer for me, as well. I really thought I had decided on USF. I'm not big on Atlanta, so GSU has that against it...but I have family there and a fellowship offer. Is it okay to be frustrated and flattered? 

Are y'all also debating? How are you coming to your decisions?

On 1/30/2018 at 10:53 AM, Mopar18 said:

Hello everyone, long time lurker.

Finishing up my mscj this semester and applied/applying to 7 schools in a mix of crim, soc, and public policy where I can still specialize in crim.

My CU Boulder application was first on Dec. 1st so I'm thinking their decision will be come any time now.

The stress and anxiety is driving me insane, I changed the settings on my aquamail app to push any emails to my student email instantly but even then I keep refreshing it every 5 minutes. 

I also applied to ASU and even though it's only been 2 weeks I keep obsessively checking MyASU and it doesn't help the other schools are Feb 1 deadlines ??

Hey Mopar, if you don't mind me asking, what policy program(s) did you applying to? 

I'm planning on applying next cycle and my interest is correctional policy related. 

As a side note, does anyone actually have a list of all the current CCJ PhD programs? I know sociology programs might offer it, but I'm still stuck on JUST trying to nail down all the possible CCJ programs. 

Best of luck to everyone on applications!! I hope you all get funded offers!