Spanish Fall 2018

SlyManuel

Hey, I am also really stressed!

I just submitted my applications too. I'm applying to 11 PhD Programs (mostly in the East Coast).

I will reveal the universities little by little when I hear back from them to keep it interesting.

I guess we will start hearing back from them in the middle of January, right?

Good luck!

Edited by waitingforletter

Well at least I am not the only one stressed. 

Wow! 11 PhD programs?!?! I could barely put together the 6 that I sent out, and one doesn't require SOP, LORs, or GRE scores. Do you have a masters already?

My programs are also in the East Coast for the most part. 

I am assuming that we will start hearing back late-January, February. I now that one of the programs I applied to starts sending out decisions early February. 

Best of luck to you!

11 hours ago, SlyManuel said:

Well at least I am not the only one stressed. 

Wow! 11 PhD programs?!?! I could barely put together the 6 that I sent out, and one doesn't require SOP, LORs, or GRE scores. Do you have a masters already?

My programs are also in the East Coast for the most part. 

I am assuming that we will start hearing back late-January, February. I now that one of the programs I applied to starts sending out decisions early February. 

Best of luck to you!

Yes, It was hard to complete all of the applications, and expensive too. Thus I just spend Christmas in total misery, New Year looks the same.

Yes, I have a master. Now, we just have to wait with patience, shaking of expectation while we hold an espresso in our hands, lol.

I'll keep you posted!

6 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

¡Hola!

I'm a nervous wreck too...I applied for six master programs, and I'm worried about not getting into any school as they're all pretty competitive. I'm also pretty stressed. Two deadlines have passed already so...very anxious to just know! 

I think that this is a general thing, the nervousness I mean. Are you a literature or linguistics concentration? Which programs are you looking into?

Best of luck!

7 hours ago, SlyManuel said:

I think that this is a general thing, the nervousness I mean. Are you a literature or linguistics concentration? Which programs are you looking into?

Best of luck!

I'm going for peninsular literature (I've been living in Spain for the past 9 years). I'll say which programs I applied to when everyone else does jeje.

I did see that an international applicant was accepted already into one of my top choices, but they were accepted for linguistics. 

Mucha suerte a todos y todas :) 

I see most are stressed, so let me join the club. I've applied to 5 PhD programs so far and have another 5 to go. My main area of interest is the Golden Age and I'm leaning towards theatrical works. I guess I can be the first to reveal some of the places where I'm applying to. I've applied to UChicago, Northwestern, Michigan...

1 hour ago, Flor de Liz said:

I see most are stressed, so let me join the club. I've applied to 5 PhD programs so far and have another 5 to go. My main area of interest is the Golden Age and I'm leaning towards theatrical works. I guess I can be the first to reveal some of the places where I'm applying to. I've applied to UChicago, Northwestern, Michigan...

That's awesome!

I also applied to Michigan! I mostly applied to Master programs, that is one of my two PhD programs, alongside NYU. 

My interests are more of Contemporary Latin American literature, more specifically the Caribbean with an interest in gender, sexuality and diaspora. 

On 12/26/2017 at 6:50 PM, waitingforletter said:

Hey, I am also really stressed!

I just submitted my applications too. I'm applying to 11 PhD Programs (mostly in the East Coast).

I will reveal the universities little by little when I hear back from them to keep it interesting.

I guess we will start hearing back from them in the middle of January, right?

Good luck!

I'm up there with you! I'm applying to 10 PhD programs...I submitted my 6th application today and have 4 more to go. Good luck!

I finished all my apps in early December since I had two due then. I'm interested mostly in Peninsular Literature with a focus on 20th and 21st century lit and film and Spanish Nationalism (Catalan, Basque, Gallego, Andaluz etc)...I applied to Illinois, Colorado-Boulder, Washington, Texas Tech, Toronto and McGill. It looks like we all have varied research interests. 

11 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

I finished all my apps in early December since I had two due then. I'm interested mostly in Peninsular Literature with a focus on 20th and 21st century lit and film and Spanish Nationalism (Catalan, Basque, Gallego, Andaluz etc)...I applied to Illinois, Colorado-Boulder, Washington, Texas Tech, Toronto and McGill. It looks like we all have varied research interests. 

Cool! I'm applying to Colorado-Boulder too. I was looking at their FAQs and it looks like they accept on average 10 students per year. Good luck! 

Hi everyone!

I have applied to 2 PhD programs so far and already heard back from one of them, which was my top choice. Do you think I should apply to a few more with upcoming deadlines, just in case something happens? Or should I just accept and hope everything goes well? 

Sorry I sent the previous message before I was finished writing :-P I'm an international student and I had issues with the MA program I am currently in sponsoring my visa, I don't know if I should have other options just in case something happens again.

SlyManuel we have similar research interests :)

Good luck everyone.

Hey all

I can’t wait to hear from the programs where I applied (7). Just in case of good luck, any of you guys know what is the procedure when you get an interview? I mean, what kind of question can one expect?  Is there always an interview? Cause’ I’ve seen people on here writing that they got just a e-mail. So many questions… thanks. 

Interviews (whether over Skype or in person) are common at top programs. Not every department will conduct them. If the program doesn't state whether or not they interview, you can check entries in the results page from previous years to get an idea. If you are invited to interview you can expect questions regarding the work you have done and the interests you wish to pursue. Depending on the faculty member and their familiarity with the topic, questions about your work/interests could be specific or not. Programs will want to know why you want a PhD and why you are interested in them specifically. Interviews are often used to see if an applicant that looks good on paper would fit in and be a good student/colleague. This is also a time to ask any questions of the department that you might have. You should take advantage of the opportunity to determine whether or not you could see yourself there for 5 or more years. This is especially true if you interview on-site. Visiting the department allows you not just to ask students questions directly (some will be more honest than others in their replies), but also to observe the dynamic between students and faculty (this will say a lot about what you can expect so keep your eyes open). 

6 hours ago, Bleep_Bloop said:

Interviews (whether over Skype or in person) are common at top programs. Not every department will conduct them. If the program doesn't state whether or not they interview, you can check entries in the results page from previous years to get an idea. If you are invited to interview you can expect questions regarding the work you have done and the interests you wish to pursue. Depending on the faculty member and their familiarity with the topic, questions about your work/interests could be specific or not. Programs will want to know why you want a PhD and why you are interested in them specifically. Interviews are often used to see if an applicant that looks good on paper would fit in and be a good student/colleague. This is also a time to ask any questions of the department that you might have. You should take advantage of the opportunity to determine whether or not you could see yourself there for 5 or more years. This is especially true if you interview on-site. Visiting the department allows you not just to ask students questions directly (some will be more honest than others in their replies), but also to observe the dynamic between students and faculty (this will say a lot about what you can expect so keep your eyes open). 

Hey, Bleep_Bloop, thanks a lot for your response. It is exactly what I wanted to know. I appreciate it :)

On 1/4/2018 at 1:04 PM, Aleppo2666 said:

Hey all

I can’t wait to hear from the programs where I applied (7). Just in case of good luck, any of you guys know what is the procedure when you get an interview? I mean, what kind of question can one expect?  Is there always an interview? Cause’ I’ve seen people on here writing that they got just a e-mail. So many questions… thanks. 

Hi Aleppo! What PhD programs did you apply to (if you don't mind sharing)? I've applied at Northwestern, U of Chicago, U of Michigan, U of Texas at Austin, UVA, and U of Wisconsin-Madison. I have two more applications left to submit (Temple and CU Boulder).

Hi everyone,

Yes, I received an offer from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (and will probably accept, since it was my first choice from the very beginning). I also applied to University of Minnesota, and I was going to apply to UMass Amherst, University of Pittsburgh and PennState, but since I was already accepted in the program I liked the most I don't know if I should keep sending applications so I can have a plan B, or just accept. I definitely did not expect to hear back from any place before the end of January, so I had just planned to send all my applications and then make a final decision once I had heard back from all of them, and now I don't know what to do :wacko: As you already know, applications are very expensive, especially for international students, and I don't want to waste my money but I don't want to take the risk of applying to just 2 programs either, if that makes any sense. Any advice?

For those of you asking about the interviews, I did not have one, but I had already been in contact with the head of the department and some professors, and some others have reached out to me recently, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or if interviews are just not part of their protocol. 

Anyone else going to UIUC or has some information about it?

Good luck everybody, keep us posted ^_^

17 minutes ago, CFGM said:

Hi everyone,

Yes, I received an offer from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (and will probably accept, since it was my first choice from the very beginning). I also applied to University of Minnesota, and I was going to apply to UMass Amherst, University of Pittsburgh and PennState, but since I was already accepted in the program I liked the most I don't know if I should keep sending applications so I can have a plan B, or just accept. I definitely did not expect to hear back from any place before the end of January, so I had just planned to send all my applications and then make a final decision once I had heard back from all of them, and now I don't know what to do :wacko: As you already know, applications are very expensive, especially for international students, and I don't want to waste my money but I don't want to take the risk of applying to just 2 programs either, if that makes any sense. Any advice?

For those of you asking about the interviews, I did not have one, but I had already been in contact with the head of the department and some professors, and some others have reached out to me recently, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or if interviews are just not part of their protocol. 

Anyone else going to UIUC or has some information about it?

Good luck everybody, keep us posted ^_^

UIUC is my second choice, and I haven't heard anything from them yet, but I'm American and they probably are letting international students know first. Are you Ph.D or Master? And where are you from? Are you doing linguistics or literature? I'm just anxious to know something from them jeje.

If you're 100% certain, I wouldn't apply to any more personally, but if you're not, then apply to the others. They may offer more funding or it could be a better fit for you. I'd probably apply. Last year I only had money to apply for one, and I was accepted but the funding fell through...so this year saved so I could apply to six. 

17 hours ago, Flor de Liz said:

Hi Aleppo! What PhD programs did you apply to (if you don't mind sharing)? I've applied at Northwestern, U of Chicago, U of Michigan, U of Texas at Austin, UVA, and U of Wisconsin-Madison. I have two more applications left to submit (Temple and CU Boulder).

If I tell my wish it won’t come true. I will tell them as soon as I get the results. I applied to seven programs, most of them on the East Coast. Thank you :)