Jump to content
KevinJHa

The waiting game: How have you been keeping busy?

Recommended Posts

@pinoysoc I’ve been looking again at the results page and the earliest I could find in 2017 was January 13th! So you can probably relax for now ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abenz said:

@pinoysoc I’ve been looking again at the results page and the earliest I could find in 2017 was January 13th! So you can probably relax for now ...

Thanks! But Penn State started contacting students right after Christmas in regards to interviews!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 10:58 AM, KevinJHa said:

I'm not too familiar with those subfields so couldn't suggest anything to you, but it's definitely a great time to read!

In terms of video games, lately I've been into Overwatch, PUBG, and Black Desert haha -- numbing my mind and avoiding thinking about academic/career plans.

How about you?

I'm doing the same with my video games (cool selection by the way). I'm trying to catch up on the Pokemon series, so I've been working on Pokemon Diamond, XD, and later on Omega Ruby. I'm also playing Mario Party while my sister's back from school. I was originally working on Kingdom Hearts 1.5, but then my Playstation 3 got YLOD. 

Also, finally done with my apps (finished before the new year)! Been trying not to think about accept/reject just yet but I'm sure reality is going to catch up soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 1:54 PM, pinoysoc said:

Thanks! But Penn State started contacting students right after Christmas in regards to interviews!

Does anyone know which programs do interviews? I don't think any of mine do, since I don't think they mention interviews on their websites, but what do I know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only program that I applied to that seems to do interviews is UC Irvine (and possibly CUNY, but I saw far fewer CUNY interviews than UC Irvine interviews, and it appears that UC Irvine started doing interviews last year)...I would suggest looking at the sociology survey results and seeing which schools had interviews: https://thegradcafe.com/survey/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 6:46 PM, MintChocoChip said:

I'm doing the same with my video games (cool selection by the way). I'm trying to catch up on the Pokemon series, so I've been working on Pokemon Diamond, XD, and later on Omega Ruby. I'm also playing Mario Party while my sister's back from school. I was originally working on Kingdom Hearts 1.5, but then my Playstation 3 got YLOD. 

Also, finally done with my apps (finished before the new year)! Been trying not to think about accept/reject just yet but I'm sure reality is going to catch up soon.

Haha that's great -- I used to be a huge pokemon fan, but fell off after the DS. I still remember my ruby party ='(

And congrats on finishing your apps! 

 

3 hours ago, Madelene said:

Does anyone know which programs do interviews? I don't think any of mine do, since I don't think they mention interviews on their websites, but what do I know?

I applied to 8 schools and nowhere on their site do they mention interviews at all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unrelated but the more time passes the more anxious and doubtful I'm becoming. I put my heart and soul into these applications and prepared for them for about two years, but now that the app process is over and I can't 'control' anything anymore, I keep getting these recurring doubts. Huge change from when I thought I was a shoe-in during the application process.

Anyone experiencing something similar? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remind myself that right now (January 8) is still super early to hear back from most sociology programs (as we can see on the survey, most of the latest entries are from the sciences and psychology), so I'm just anxious in the sense that I don't want to wait anymore. But that could change if I still haven't heard anything by March or something (or if I've only gotten rejections).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KevinJHa said:

Unrelated but the more time passes the more anxious and doubtful I'm becoming. I put my heart and soul into these applications and prepared for them for about two years, but now that the app process is over and I can't 'control' anything anymore, I keep getting these recurring doubts. Huge change from when I thought I was a shoe-in during the application process.

Anyone experiencing something similar? 

I'm in the same boat. To be quite honest, even if I have an MA, I still feel doubt. I was super cocky the first time I applied for 2014 application cycle. After lowering my expectations and "discovering" my true research interests after, I found the courage to apply for 2015 and got in. I thought that finishing my MA and going to a PhD program was going to happen, but I realized that this might be the last time I can take a break between degrees..especially the fact that I want to start my career after getting the PhD. 

What brings all these doubts (in my case) is not believing in myself and the work I've done. Partially, there's also my untreated anxiety & depression since losing insurance after graduation. So it's a double whammy. I came in this application season trying to be confident. I ended up deleting all my application things (i.e. SOPs, drafts, etc.) in December 2016 thinking I wasn't going to go for my PhD anymore; then used July through September to research what programs I was going to apply to, rewrite SOPs, and contact my professors who I told months earlier that I was going to do a Pre-Med Post-Bacc after graduation. 

I'm also freaking out because my GRE scores are expiring...(Sorry for the long rant). But at the end of the day, I know I have the initiative, work ethic, and research agenda to do something for my adoptive home. But it gets tiring being told that I was good enough, but not good enough to get an admission offer.

T_T

4 hours ago, qualsoc2018 said:

I remind myself that right now (January 8) is still super early to hear back from most sociology programs (as we can see on the survey, most of the latest entries are from the sciences and psychology), so I'm just anxious in the sense that I don't want to wait anymore. But that could change if I still haven't heard anything by March or something (or if I've only gotten rejections).

I hate how this year it seems that a lot of the interview invites or potential talks. I feel like they switch up the way they do things yearly. But I'm just really anxious about this whole "WAITING TO HEAR IF WE'RE GOOD ENOUGH" period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

I'm in the same boat. To be quite honest, even if I have an MA, I still feel doubt. I was super cocky the first time I applied for 2014 application cycle. After lowering my expectations and "discovering" my true research interests after, I found the courage to apply for 2015 and got in. I thought that finishing my MA and going to a PhD program was going to happen, but I realized that this might be the last time I can take a break between degrees..especially the fact that I want to start my career after getting the PhD. 

What brings all these doubts (in my case) is not believing in myself and the work I've done. Partially, there's also my untreated anxiety & depression since losing insurance after graduation. So it's a double whammy. I came in this application season trying to be confident. I ended up deleting all my application things (i.e. SOPs, drafts, etc.) in December 2016 thinking I wasn't going to go for my PhD anymore; then used July through September to research what programs I was going to apply to, rewrite SOPs, and contact my professors who I told months earlier that I was going to do a Pre-Med Post-Bacc after graduation. 

I'm also freaking out because my GRE scores are expiring...(Sorry for the long rant). But at the end of the day, I know I have the initiative, work ethic, and research agenda to do something for my adoptive home. But it gets tiring being told that I was good enough, but not good enough to get an admission offer.

T_T

I hate how this year it seems that a lot of the interview invites or potential talks. I feel like they switch up the way they do things yearly. But I'm just really anxious about this whole "WAITING TO HEAR IF WE'RE GOOD ENOUGH" period.

 

Damn that's incredible -- it sounds like you've been through a lot with these graduate apps. I don't know if I would have the heart to keep reapplying but it sounds like you know what you want. Though in the end, I think whats meant to happen will always happen. 

I haven't heard about these interviews, it sounds like these invites come out really early though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, qualsoc2018 said:

I remind myself that right now (January 8) is still super early to hear back from most sociology programs (as we can see on the survey, most of the latest entries are from the sciences and psychology), so I'm just anxious in the sense that I don't want to wait anymore. But that could change if I still haven't heard anything by March or something (or if I've only gotten rejections).

I agree -- I DONT WANT TO WAIT ANYMORE. I feel like a baby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2018 at 6:53 PM, pinoysoc said:

What brings all these doubts (in my case) is not believing in myself and the work I've done. Partially, there's also my untreated anxiety & depression since losing insurance after graduation. So it's a double whammy. I came in this application season trying to be confident. I ended up deleting all my application things (i.e. SOPs, drafts, etc.) in December 2016 thinking I wasn't going to go for my PhD anymore; then used July through September to research what programs I was going to apply to, rewrite SOPs, and contact my professors who I told months earlier that I was going to do a Pre-Med Post-Bacc after graduation.

Hi @pinoysoc, that sounds extremely tough. I also suffer from anxiety and depression and taking my medication honestly helps. I don't know what your finances are like and if you are able to get a prescription. If you have a prescription and a Costco in your area, the medications at their pharmacy are super-cheap and the pharmacy specifically is not legally allowed to discriminate against non-Costco-members.

I hope that you hear good news from your schools soon!

Edited by qeta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, qeta said:

Hi @pinoysoc, that sounds extremely tough. I also suffer from anxiety and depression and taking my medication honestly helps. I don't know what your finances are like and if you are able to get a prescription. If you have a prescription and a Costco in your area, the medications at their pharmacy are super-cheap and the pharmacy specifically is not legally allowed to discriminate against non-Costco-members.

I hope that you hear good news from your schools soon!

Thanks, @qeta

Unfortunately, I work a full-time job that comes with research experience, but not health benefits. I was working in social media that had benefits, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to work in health research and get more experience for grad school!

I do question why I left that job that provided a benefits package! Alas, I'm more concerned with getting into school again for the last time.

Really crossing my fingers that things work out!

How are you keeping up with waiting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, qeta said:

Hi @pinoysoc, that sounds extremely tough. I also suffer from anxiety and depression and taking my medication honestly helps. I don't know what your finances are like and if you are able to get a prescription. If you have a prescription and a Costco in your area, the medications at their pharmacy are super-cheap and the pharmacy specifically is not legally allowed to discriminate against non-Costco-members.

The mental health support in this group is real and I love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, KevinJHa said:

The mental health support in this group is real and I love it.

Yes it is! LOVE LOVE LOVE It!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pinoysoc said:

How are you keeping up with waiting?

I'm alright most of the days because I am sure that my applications this cycle were not up to par. My partner wasn't ready to apply to jobs this cycle as we'd planned, so I get another shot at applying next year with not a lot of downsides. My problem is that my MA department was horrendous and discriminatory and my exchange at Berkeley soc. absolutely wonderful. The combo makes me extremely scared to go to a department that I do not know well. But I only know Berkeley and getting into that department is so so hard. I actually had serious breakdowns before submitting apps to other schools because I don't want to repeat my MA experience, which made me feel utterly powerless and less than human.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, qeta said:

I'm alright most of the days because I am sure that my applications this cycle were not up to par. My partner wasn't ready to apply to jobs this cycle as we'd planned, so I get another shot at applying next year with not a lot of downsides. My problem is that my MA department was horrendous and discriminatory and my exchange at Berkeley soc. absolutely wonderful. The combo makes me extremely scared to go to a department that I do not know well. But I only know Berkeley and getting into that department is so so hard. I actually had serious breakdowns before submitting apps to other schools because I don't want to repeat my MA experience, which made me feel utterly powerless and less than human.

I'm sorry to hear you had that MA experience, it sounds like it really got to you. I really wish you the best in getting into Berkeley. 

The good part about all of our individual stresses and such is that it will be over relatively soon, and we will all know for sure where were going and if we can handle it. Now is the time for strength!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KevinJHa said:

I'm sorry to hear you had that MA experience, it sounds like it really got to you. I really wish you the best in getting into Berkeley. 

The good part about all of our individual stresses and such is that it will be over relatively soon, and we will all know for sure where were going and if we can handle it. Now is the time for strength!

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words! I hope you get into all of your top choices as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, qeta said:

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words! I hope you get into all of your top choices as well.

@qeta

We're like a mini on these forums! It's been a long and arduous process in finishing applications and the next two weeks will be the scariest!

We got this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2018 at 4:37 PM, KevinJHa said:

Haha that's great -- I used to be a huge pokemon fan, but fell off after the DS. I still remember my ruby party ='(

And congrats on finishing your apps! 

Thanks! Ah Ruby was where I stopped but now I picked up again. I'll probably pick the same starter for my Omega Ruby run.

I love seeing all of the support here. Good luck to everyone! I believe in all of you. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, soc4315 said:

Welp, just submitted my last application. How's everyone doing? 

Congrats! I think most of us are biting our nails since acceptances and interviews have been going out the last week or so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, soc4315 said:

Welp, just submitted my last application. How's everyone doing? 

Congrats! Must be a relief to finally get that last app done. I'm waiting for a sign from the adcoms and my email notifications. Though I'm trying to enjoy not having to do those apps anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still checking my application pages everyday and still see the same damn green Submitted.

It's cool some people are hearing back from schools already, but it seems like these schools are mostly central and west coast. Can't wait to start seeing some east coast results.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a post on the history board that said that the people hearing back from state schools now are people who are being considered for university-wide fellowships (as opposed to just acceptance to the program with departamental funding), which makes me feel a whole lot better as I've applied to a few UC schools that have results appearing on the survey. TL;DR don't lose hope just yet @people who applied to state schools

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.