UChicago SSA Fall 2018 AM Applicants

• 2 weeks later...

It's only been a few days since I applied, and the waiting game is already driving me wild.  I'm really counting on (aside from getting in) receiving significant scholarships.  I am finishing my undergrad this term (Sociology with a certificate in Chicano/Latino studies) and was eligible for the Pell Grant; I'm a 32 year old returning student...I qualify as low income, I'm sure, and am on the board of directors for a nonprofit I started in 2014 focused on advocacy for the unhoused.  Did everyone is this thread that's been accepted receive scholarship funding? I have a 3.3 overall GPA with a 3.96 in the last 70 credits earned.  I'm trying to get a feel for how qualified others here are that have been accepted/received significant scholarships.  Does anyone mind sharing?

Edited by CelestialJenkins

I've done quite a bit of research on this. My sense is that almost everyone receives some scholarship funding. The range seems to be between $5000 and $30,000 per year, determined by a mix of merit and financial need. 

Edited by MSWApplicantFall2018

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2018 at 8:15 PM, MSWApplicantFall2018 said:

I've done quite a bit of research on this. My sense is that almost everyone receives some scholarship funding. The range seems to be between $5000 and $30,000 per year, determined by a mix of merit and financial need. 

I just got into WUSTL with a 50k scholarship, but SSA is my top choice...I'm anxiously awaiting their decision, but it sounds like they won't have decisions made until late April.  Aaaah

Hey, y'all! I applied January 15, but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else that applied then heard back? Today marks 8 weeks and I'm stressing the fuck out. I'm assuming I didn't get in at this point. 

4 hours ago, AriDi said:

Hey, y'all! I applied January 15, but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else that applied then heard back? Today marks 8 weeks and I'm stressing the fuck out. I'm assuming I didn't get in at this point. 

I applied early December and I also haven’t heard back, I applied for the Full Time Program. We should hear by or on March 15th according to their website. I’m also stressed about it and wondering the same. http://www.ssa.uchicago.edu/deadlines

5 hours ago, Ckmswhopeful said:

I applied early December and I also haven’t heard back, I applied for the Full Time Program. We should hear by or on March 15th according to their website. I’m also stressed about it and wondering the same. http://www.ssa.uchicago.edu/deadlines

Thanks so much! I feel like i'm walking on pins and needles every day. I don't know if my nerves can make it to Thursday. 

On 1/27/2018 at 10:32 PM, HannahRae said:

So, having dinner with my friend and another current SSA student, helped me to decide to decline my offer! They both spoke about (and I have heard this from several others) that their classes did not prepare them to take what they were learning and to apply it to practical situations. They also spoke about an unhealthy sense of entitlement and aggressive competition among the students. As someone who lives in Hyde Park and and interacts with UofC students everyday, that last part didn't surprise me. They both confirmed what I had inferred from the information session I attended that many SSA students see themselves as better than other social work students in the city, even though there are two other great programs. They didn't say they regretted attending SSA but that they wish it was less theory based and more clinical. 

They did state that those who are interested in research and theory really enjoyed the program but that for those who are pursuing clinical career and want to live in Chicago should look at Loyola. 

It was a very eye opening dinner and really confirmed what I have heard from co-workers who attended the program and other alumni.   

What I've learned from past students is that the program is less for people wholly interested in clinical, and more for people interested in organizing and social activism. At least, these are the people who really shaped my decision to attend U of C. Like, if you want to be an organizer and work on projects like the mental health movement to bring clinics back to the west and south side or campaigns for the homeless people of Chicago and the poor, then this is the place for you. I'm definitely more focused on organizing work as it's already what I do. I think Loyola was a good choice since you want to do clinical social work. i'm happy that your friends were able to help you make that decision. 

On 3/10/2018 at 6:23 PM, MSWApplicantFall2018 said:

Is the $50k for per year... or $25k per year?

WUSTL awards in chunks intended to be spread throughout the program, and Chicago awards per year.  I’m waiting anxiously for Chicago to see if it matches 25k per year, if I am admitted.

Found out yesterday that I was accepted into the Advanced Standing Program starting Summer 2018! While I'm absolutely thrilled, the realities of trying to find affordable housing & a roommate are weighing me down a bit. Does anyone have any tips on finding roommates near Hyde Park? I've looked at current listings on craigslist and other roommate search sites and I haven't really found anything :( 

11 minutes ago, xix said:

While I'm absolutely thrilled, the realities of trying to find affordable housing & a roommate are weighing me down a bit. Does anyone have any tips on finding roommates near Hyde Park? I've looked at current listings on craigslist and other roommate search sites and I haven't really found anything

Congratulations! Here's a website that will help you get started with the housing search: https://grad.uchicago.edu/life-community/housing

17 hours ago, stheart said:

I really wanted to live downtown, where it's the most exciting but that couldn't happen without a roommate in my actual bedroom. :( 

Honestly while I LOVE what the UofC program seems to offer, I'm super into the WUSTL program too...Saint Louis is seeming cooler and cooler to me, and it's SO CHEAP to live there.  

That said, I hear Hyde park is cheaper than other places, and it seems funky and cool...it's a little far from other places, but there's decent public transportation...the METRA is pretty fast, right?

But I think some of the opportunities in Chicago would be different, particularly the Leadership in Community Schools prog.
I just don't know, but doubt I will for another two or three weeks.  I'm going to the admitted students weekend at WUSTL in a few weeks, so maybe that will help me make up my mind (that is, if I get into UofC with funding :)).

Edited by CelestialJenkins

1 hour ago, CelestialJenkins said:

Honestly while I LOVE what the UofC program seems to offer, I'm super into the WUSTL program too...Saint Louis is seeming cooler and cooler to me, and it's SO CHEAP to live there.  

That said, I hear Hyde park is cheaper than other places, and it seems funky and cool...it's a little far from other places, but there's decent public transportation...the METRA is pretty fast, right?

But I think some of the opportunities in Chicago would be different, particularly the Leadership in Community Schools prog.
I just don't know, but doubt I will for another two or three weeks.  I'm going to the admitted students weekend at WUSTL in a few weeks, so maybe that will help me make up my mind (that is, if I get into UofC with funding :)).

Hyde Park is def not cheap. With gentrification and the battle between UChicago and Mac Apartments, the rent gets higher every year. I was priced out of Hyde Park myself and miss living there. 

On 3/15/2018 at 3:37 PM, cafelatte08 said:

Hi all! Silent lurker here. I just saw an update to my application on the portal (I didn't receive an email saying there was an update). To my surprise, I was admitted and received a $15,000 scholarship!

Awesome, congrats!  When did you apply?

5 hours ago, cafelatte08 said:

I applied Jan 17!

Oh so just after the previous deadline?  I applied in February and thought they might not consider mine until after April 1...maybe they will though!  Not only am I anxious to hear, but I got into three other schools and am realllly ready to know what my decision will be ;p 

Contrats!!

For those who have accepted admission and are attending this fall, what compelled you to go? I'm trying to decide between going to my dream school (U Chicago) or being fiscally conservative by going to CSUEB where tuition is only $8,000/yr. I really love everything about the program at U Chicago and feel the Social Service Administration focus strongly aligns with my goals in ways that other programs do not. I visited the school last year and I fell in love, I just don't know if the cost of tuition is worth it. I got a $15,000 scholarship, but that means I will still have to take almost $100k in loans by the time the program is over. 

I have spoken to my colleague who attended NYU, and although he liked the program's clinical focus, he said the price tag was not worth it. He also said that he could have gotten the same education at another school. 

One of my duties at my current employer is hiring new employees. When doing so, we take more value in an applicant's work experience and personality during interviews than what school they attended. But I can see how other agencies may take a different approach and think highly of applicants who have attended schools like U Chicago. 

Thoughts? I'd really value any input I can get! 

41 minutes ago, cafelatte08 said:

For those who have accepted admission and are attending this fall, what compelled you to go? I'm trying to decide between going to my dream school (U Chicago) or being fiscally conservative by going to CSUEB where tuition is only $8,000/yr. I really love everything about the program at U Chicago and feel the Social Service Administration focus strongly aligns with my goals in ways that other programs do not. I visited the school last year and I fell in love, I just don't know if the cost of tuition is worth it. I got a $15,000 scholarship, but that means I will still have to take almost $100k in loans by the time the program is over. 

I have spoken to my colleague who attended NYU, and although he liked the program's clinical focus, he said the price tag was not worth it. He also said that he could have gotten the same education at another school. 

One of my duties at my current employer is hiring new employees. When doing so, we take more value in an applicant's work experience and personality during interviews than what school they attended. But I can see how other agencies may take a different approach and think highly of applicants who have attended schools like U Chicago. 

Thoughts? I'd really value any input I can get! 

Truthfully, I don’t think any MSW program, even a particularly well-regarded one, is worth going 100k into debt for (I know they call it something different but I’m trusting what I’ve read which is that it’s equivalent to an MSW). You have to think about the debt versus what you’d be making, especially starting out. I know there are loan forgiveness programs and whatnot, but I also feel like that doesn’t give you much flexibility in terms of your career. As someone who went into a lot of debt to go to a fancy private school for undergrad, I have to be especially frugal. But honestly it blows my mind when people say that they’re seriously considering taking out that much in loans. That’s like a mortgage. It’s wild.

48 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Truthfully, I don’t think any MSW program, even a particularly well-regarded one, is worth going 100k into debt for (I know they call it something different but I’m trusting what I’ve read which is that it’s equivalent to an MSW). You have to think about the debt versus what you’d be making, especially starting out. I know there are loan forgiveness programs and whatnot, but I also feel like that doesn’t give you much flexibility in terms of your career. As someone who went into a lot of debt to go to a fancy private school for undergrad, I have to be especially frugal. But honestly it blows my mind when people say that they’re seriously considering taking out that much in loans. That’s like a mortgage. It’s wild.

Amen to all of this. The year of attending your dream school is really just play time, because you learn the same material at any other school. Really, really, expensive play time.

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

I am in agreement. I am trying to be practical, and if I do the math, I will pay about $1300/mo for the next 10 years to pay everything off. That just sounds awful...

Edited by cafelatte08

8 hours ago, cafelatte08 said:

I am in agreement. I am trying to be practical, and if I do the math, I will pay about $1300/mo for the next 10 years to pay everything off. That just sounds awful...

That does sound awful. I feel for you though - it's hard to say no to something you've wanted for such a long time. You just gotta look out for future you! But it sounds like you know that.

I'm sorry UChicago didn't give you enough aid to make it a viable option. It occurs to me now that you might be able to get them to increase your scholarship if you ask - I think I've read elsewhere that people have had success with that.