Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Okay so this isn't an acceptance but my husband just received an email saying that he is on the "short list" for the University of Maryland and inviting him to a Skype interview next week! We are local to the school so he's going to offer to go in person (not sure if that's an option) but I AM SO EXCITED FOR HIM!

Congrats and best of luck to your husband! Looks like someone else got an invitation too! Crazy to see results for English on the board...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, katie64 said:

Anyone else obsessively logging in to every application portal justttt in case a decision has been posted? 

Yup. And each time, I'm more schlacked than the last. 

Also, UCLA hasn't linked their portal to outside documents (it's mid-January... c'mon...), so they're displaying my GRE scores as "Not Received." Which is funny, because I'm pretty sure I still have the $27 hole in my wallet from when I first sent them. 

Edited by FreakyFoucault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time lurker emerging from the shadows to say that I am losing control. I keep refreshing this page, checking my email, checking application portals, etc. And it’s only the second week of January! How do people distract themselves to pass the time?

 

Congrats to the people offered UMD interviews! I guess if we didn’t receive an interview we can assume we’re on some sort of unofficial waitlist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FunkyFitz said:

Long time lurker emerging from the shadows to say that I am losing control. I keep refreshing this page, checking my email, checking application portals, etc. And it’s only the second week of January! How do people distract themselves to pass the time?

Welcome, @FunkyFitz! Solid name; I'm digging the alliterative F's. 

I can't speak for everyone else here, but I've been passing the time by resuming my normal hobbies (music, exercising, beer, etc.) and reading the news (never in short supply these days...) I was planning on throwing myself into my job, but I've found over the last couple days that I'm doing much more Grad Café-checking than actual work. #sorrynotsorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

 I was planning on throwing myself into my job, but I've found over the last couple days that I'm doing much more Grad Café-checking than actual work. #sorrynotsorry

Yeah...this was part of my New Year's "resolution." I had all of these nice ideas of really committing to my daily tasks to make up for how distracted I was in the fall, but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Yeah...this was part of my New Year's "resolution." I had all of these nice ideas of really committing to my daily tasks to make up for how distracted I was in the fall, but...

You can always start the resolution after this admissions cycle. That's when the "new year" starts, right? Alternatively, the Chinese New Year is on Feb 16....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Yeah...this was part of my New Year's "resolution." I had all of these nice ideas of really committing to my daily tasks to make up for how distracted I was in the fall, but...

My company's pretty territorial, so the higher-ups tend to discourage outside work and out-of-the-box thinking. I'm taking that as tacit approval to talk to you guys instead of writing memos about statistical distributions of medical-imaging volumes. Which made me just vom in my mouth a bit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

My company's pretty territorial, so the higher-ups tend to discourage outside work and out-of-the-box thinking. I'm taking that as tacit approval to talk to you guys instead of writing memos about statistical distributions of medical-imaging volumes. Which made me just vom in my mouth a bit!

Ha! So, are you in the medical field? If so, same here! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, punctilious said:

Okay so this isn't an acceptance but my husband just received an email saying that he is on the "short list" for the University of Maryland and inviting him to a Skype interview next week! We are local to the school so he's going to offer to go in person (not sure if that's an option) but I AM SO EXCITED FOR HIM!

P.S. Any PhD interview tips would be super appreciated!

Ah so excited for you guys! I'm also proud of myself for actually being excited for you when I also applied there. And slowly feeling anxiety rising :)

Let us know how it goes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Ha! So, are you in the medical field? If so, same here! 

I am! Learning about the medical industry is often pretty cool, but most of my job is either dreadfully boring or maddeningly exasperating (try to tell doctors what to do, I dare you). I hope your job is much better than mine! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FreakyFoucault I work in a university research institution and spend a lot of time banging my head against a wall doing the same, except with doctors *and* academics. I like a lot of what I do, but I've gotten very fed up working to improve other people's projects instead of conducting my own. In short, I'm bored. It's been really useful, though, in helping me to narrow my interests. I've specialized in early modern stuff for a long time, but I've been able to refine my focus--early modern medicine and medical rhetoric. I've been pleasantly surprised at the parallels between my interests and the conversations taking place in contemporary health sciences. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JustPoesieAlong, that's pretty darn close to how I feel at this point. Really, though, most of my professional agita is the result of the politics and incompetence that are comprised in my company's awful corporate culture. It's especially upsetting because we have a lot of bright minds, but inertia and bad management have led so many of them away. That said, I hope to count myself among them come April B)

27 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

I've specialized in early modern stuff for a long time, but I've been able to refine my focus--early modern medicine and medical rhetoric. I've been pleasantly surprised at the parallels between my interests and the conversations taking place in contemporary health sciences. 

One of my past English professors (now a dear friend and LOR-writer) offers a "Medical Narratives" course that's been wildly popular at my school; it draws in the pre-med students (of which we have many) like flies to honey. 

Edited by FreakyFoucault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all so much! It just feels really validating to know that someone thought his application was good. He doesn't have an MA and was a double-major so we kind of weren't sure if he had enough of the English literature 'experience' that PhD programs were looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Warelin said:

You can always start the resolution after this admissions cycle. That's when the "new year" starts, right? Alternatively, the Chinese New Year is on Feb 16....

As an additional alternative, March 21 is Naw-Rúz, the Bahá'í new year, if you still need time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Also, UCLA hasn't linked their portal to outside documents (it's mid-January... c'mon...), so they're displaying my GRE scores as "Not Received." Which is funny, because I'm pretty sure I still have the $27 hole in my wallet from when I first sent them. 

Don't stress about that! UCLA is also displaying mine as "Not Recieved" and I sent them in about 4 months ago. I doubt it has anything to do with the English department specifically. In November, when the application portal was down, I spoke on the phone with someone in the admissions department and someone in the English department. Apparently, it has been nonstop  tech drama for UCLA admissions this year, and both people I spoke with were extraordinarily kind but sounded a little stressed out. 

Edited by mads47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not exactly an English program (but lit theory related!), and not exactly an acceptance, but I just got word from UC Santa Cruz History of Consciousness that I am on their short list! I was not expecting to hear from them for a while, especially because they don't do interviews... but I'm thrilled! Final decisions should be out by mid February. Fingers crossed for good news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FreakyFoucault said:

It's especially upsetting because we have a lot of bright minds, but inertia and bad management have led so many of them away. That said, I hope to count myself among them come April B)

Even though I like a lot of my colleagues and even *most of the time* my supervisor, I'm still dreaming of when I get to tell them I'm out. Unfortunately, I think I need to wait until sometime in the summer to let them know, since I will need to keep a source of income up until right before we move. <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now