2018 Acceptances

10 hours ago, mads47 said:

Don't stress about that! UCLA is also displaying mine as "Not Recieved" and I sent them in about 4 months ago. I doubt it has anything to do with the English department specifically. In November, when the application portal was down, I spoke on the phone with someone in the admissions department and someone in the English department. Apparently, it has been nonstop  tech drama for UCLA admissions this year, and both people I spoke with were extraordinarily kind but sounded a little stressed out. 

Thanks, @mads47! I figured that was the case, but it makes me wonder why UCLA decided to switch application websites halfway through an ongoing cycle... Luckily, you've saved them from another annoying e-mail/phone call! 

29 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Unfortunately, I think I need to wait until sometime in the summer to let them know, since I will need to keep a source of income up until right before we move. <_<

Yeah, I'm struggling to weigh that decision, too. I've saved enough to make student loan payments through August (no small feat, I might add), but my rational center is telling me that it'd be idiotic to forgo three months of paychecks. I guess it depends on how bad things get. I figure I could probably squeeze out another month or two if I were to duct tape a bottle of Jameson to the underside of my desk, but it only gets you so far.

25 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I've saved enough to make student loan payments through August (no small feat, I might add), but my rational center is telling me that it'd be idiotic to forgo three months of paychecks.

That you have anything saved is awesome! Our savings wouldn't take us far. I think it also depends on my husband's job--he's hoping to transfer, so I guess we'd go whenever they want him! Kind of hoping that gives me an excuse to quit earlier. ;)

1 hour ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Thanks, @mads47! I figured that was the case, but it makes me wonder why UCLA decided to switch application websites halfway through an ongoing cycle... Luckily, you've saved them from another annoying e-mail/phone call! 

You're welcome! I don't think it was an intentional decision. From what I've garnered, their original system crashed completely in October. o.O

3 hours ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

@snickus I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get good news soon!

@Crow T. Robot Congratulations and good luck! May I ask, how did they contact you to let you know this? Email? 

Thanks, @JustPoesieAlong! I actually got an email from a student in the program with congrats for making the short list and a generous offer to chat and provide more details on life in the program. Not official by any means, but the student seemed to imply that it's usually protocol for faculty to follow up with those on the list too. So maybe that's to come? We'll see!

2 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

I actually got an email from a student in the program with congrats for making the short list and a generous offer to chat and provide more details on life in the program. Not official by any means, but the student seemed to imply that it's usually protocol for faculty to follow up with those on the list too.

Oh, how interesting! Thank you for sharing. I hope it bodes well for what's to come for you! 

46 minutes ago, Dogfish Head said:

Waiting to hear from programs has especially hit me hard with the inactivity of this three day weekend.

I was thinking the exact same thing - sadly, I'd guess this week will be quiet overall (at least for my programs.) BUT! That brings us to the week of the 22nd - could get interesting. 

Maybe. 

3 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

I have refreshed the results page here probably ten times today, in addition to checking my apps too 

I am now pro at flipping from GC results to the portal to my email within a minute (20 seconds for each page) - I guess this is my hobby now.

23 minutes ago, sarahchristine said:

I’ve officially applied to all of my MA programs, so I’m officially (finally) a part of the waiting game. I’m not expected to hear back from any of them for another month at least, unfortunately. 

Where all did you apply? I, too, only applied to MA programs. 

50 minutes ago, sarahchristine said:

I applied to Purdue, Lehigh, Georgetown, Wake Forest, & North Carolina State. Where did you apply?

Oh, awesome! I applied to Purdue as well, along with Louisville, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia Tech, and Tennessee, most with a rhet/comp concentration rather than lit. 

7 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Harvard English acceptance already?! CONGRATS to whoever posted that!

Seems like Harvard is pulling some surprises?  They usually don't notify until around Feb. 14. Huge congrats to the person accepted!

3 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Seems like Harvard is pulling some surprises?  They usually don't notify until around Feb. 14. Huge congrats to the person accepted!

Do you think this is an anomaly? Like do schools often accept especially stellar applicants early?

My husband has been in meetings around DC all day and left the house with his phone on low battery this morning. Now I'm wondering if he possibly could have gotten a call... Lol, if only!