2018 Acceptances

7 minutes ago, FishNerd said:

I know I haven't been on here until recently but just thought I would put it out there that my partner got accepted to University of Denver! And I heard back from my POI's yesterday that I am unofficially in! It's such a relief to know we have at least both gotten into one of our school's together.

Congrats! Denver is a really great school especially if he's interested in the combining creative writing and English!

14 minutes ago, FishNerd said:

I know I haven't been on here until recently but just thought I would put it out there that my partner got accepted to University of Denver! And I heard back from my POI's yesterday that I am unofficially in! It's such a relief to know we have at least both gotten into one of our school's together.

I am SO happy for you both! That is such wonderful news!

24 minutes ago, FishNerd said:

I'm so glad for you two! It's wonderful that you'll both be able to pursue your careers in the same place! 

14 minutes ago, evanmarie said:

Waitlisted at Alabama, thought they called me "one of their very top Ph.D applicants" so v confused. 

That is awesome! I hope you are able to move off the waitlist and onto the accepted list!!!

16 minutes ago, evanmarie said:

Waitlisted at Alabama, thought they called me "one of their very top Ph.D applicants" so v confused. 

Sounds like they waitlist everyone and after reviewing all apps, they send offers to some of those “saved” on the waitlist?

@Elle Coronaria So stoked your app season turned out how you wanted it! I don't think you have anything to be self conscious of with your "doom and gloom" posts. We were all there together :-) 

@punctilious Omg, I have been rooting for you (him? Plural you) and I read the thread with my fingers crossed. So happy!

@a_sort_of_fractious_angel Damn, girl! You're going for a clean sweep hahaha Having to decide between offers is definitely a good problem to have.

@FishNerd Holy cow! It's hard enough to secure one spot in a grad program, much less synchronize two. Congrats!

And congrats to anyone I missed because there is just too much good news!

GOT THE UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE CALL AS WELL! (at 2:15 this afternoon).

Super nice phone call, great funding package, said they were very impressed with my application and writing sample.

Research Track I am pursuing if attending: Race and Ethnicity.

So thrilled! One of my top 5 choices!

This was my third round of apps - DO NOT GIVE UP if it is what you really want!

5 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

GOT THE UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE CALL AS WELL! (at 2:15 this afternoon).

Super nice phone call, great funding package, said they were very impressed with my application and writing sample.

Research Track I am pursuing if attending: Race and Ethnicity.

So thrilled! One of my top 5 choices!

This was my third round of apps - DO NOT GIVE UP if it is what you really want!

CONGRATS! I was slightly amazed at the funding package. I feel like it’s way better than what we expected from them. 

2 minutes ago, punctilious said:

CONGRATS! I was slightly amazed at the funding package. I feel like it’s way better than what we expected from them. 

I agree! The funding package is nothing to sneeze at! I still have 8 to hear back from, but so happy to finally have an acceptance. And CONGRATS to your husband!

40 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

I agree! The funding package is nothing to sneeze at! I still have 8 to hear back from, but so happy to finally have an acceptance. And CONGRATS to your husband!

Thank you! We also have many schools to hear back from but we really like this program, especially because of their material culture track. 

On the waitlist for UT-Austin...so relieved.

Official rejection from Chicago, nothing official from Northwestern but unofficial rejection via email from grad student.

Currently 0a, 1w (happy dance), 1r .... 8 waiting

Congrats to all who got accepted...can only imagine (but a bit closer now) how good it feels!

6 minutes ago, evanmarie said:

Waitlisted at Delaware! (I e-mailed and asked, couldn't take the suspense).

Congratulations!!! That's awesome! I'd bet that waitlist will see movement in the coming weeks/months!

Thank you everyone for the congratulations and kind words! We are so relieved to know that we have both been accepted somewhere. I've been so anxious about us both getting into a school that once we knew we were in together I felt like I could finally breathe!

@Warelin he loves being involved in both academic research and creative writing so he is super excited! Denver is definitely his top pick and I think it's mine too (I have another school that's a really great fit for me where I've also been unofficially accepted) so we are thrilled!!!

6 hours ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

I'm so glad for you two! It's wonderful that you'll both be able to pursue your careers in the same place! 

5 hours ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Holy cow! It's hard enough to secure one spot in a grad program, much less synchronize two. Congrats!

We have been told so many times that trying to do academia together could be next to impossible, so we are just so happy and thankful that we have beat the odds. Each of us has always tried to do the best we can so we can stay together through all the hurdles and we are just so relieved to have passed this hurdle. It'd be great if we get a joint acceptance at our other top school but we are not going to complain because one is all we really wanted.

Also super congratulations to everyone else who has heard good news this week (would totally like all your all's posts but I ran out of reactions)! Looks like it's been a productive one for acceptances and I hope it continues to be!

4 minutes ago, FishNerd said:

We have been told so many times that trying to do academia together could be next to impossible

I, too, echo everybody's congratulations, and, moreover, would like to add that two of my favorite English professors (one of whom was a letter writer) are married, so it's definitely possible! Also, at my school, one of my political science professors is married to a superstar in the history department. It can work if you make it work! (Which sounds lame but is the truth). 

@FreakyFoucault Thank you so much for your congratulations! I have definitely also known some academic power couples and I always try to keep that in mind when I think about my partner and I trying to do this crazy thing together. It's just that some people in my life are eternally pessimistic and have expressed the impossibility of it and it's sometimes very hard to ignore those comments. But now my partner and I are on our way to proving them wrong!