2018 Acceptances

45 minutes ago, sarahchristine said:

I bit the bullet & checked.. I got in! Word regarding funding is supposed to come in a few days, & hopefully that will also be good news. Wake Forest is admittedly at the bottom of my list, but it's so nice to have an acceptance under my belt.

Yes! I do love a happy ending :-)

35 minutes ago, northwestnative said:

Just got a UVA waitlist email, so heads up for other UVA applicants!

Congrats and good luck!

I think this has been asked before, but at what point would you email a school for more information regarding an acceptance? I discovered yesterday that UGA updated my portal to show an offer of admission, but I haven't heard a peep (not even a notification of the change in app status). I'm not even sure when it changed since I stopped checking earlier last week. Is it too early/obnoxious to email the department to see when I can expect more info? 

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

6 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

I think this has been asked before, but at what point would you email a school for more information regarding an acceptance? I discovered yesterday that UGA updated my portal to show an offer of admission, but I haven't heard a peep (not even a notification of the change in app status). I'm not even sure when it changed since I stopped checking earlier last week. Is it too early/obnoxious to email the department to see when I can expect more info? 

I say give it until the end of the week (as hard as that is). This has happened to me with a couple of schools--they got in touch within 2-3 days. 

4 minutes ago, midwest-ford said:

I say give it until the end of the week (as hard as that is). This has happened to me with a couple of schools--they got in touch within 2-3 days. 

Thanks! I think this was one of those things I "knew" but need to hear it from others to calm my nerves. UGA has such spotty coverage on the results board that I can't figure out what to expect. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

I agree with @midwest-ford - Temple changed my portal over a weekend and I heard from the grad school that Friday. Buffalo took a day or two between grad admittance and dept contact. It's hard to wait but they will reach out soon!!! And likely have all sorts of good information for you!

15 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Temple changed my portal over a weekend and I heard from the grad school that Friday.

Temple changed my portal on the 11th (or maybe earlier, I had stopped checking) and I have yet to hear from anyone in the English department. I got a letter in the mail from the university but that's it! I wonder if I should be reaching out? Or maybe not because I have other programs I am more strongly considering.. 
Edit: Though I'd be interested in hearing what they had to say to you @a_sort_of_fractious_angel if you're willing to share! 

Edited by clinamen

14 minutes ago, clinamen said:

Temple changed my portal on the 11th (or maybe earlier, I had stopped checking) and I have yet to hear from anyone in the English department. I got a letter in the mail from the university but that's it! I wonder if I should be reaching out? Or maybe not because I have other programs I am more strongly considering.. 
Edit: Though I'd be interested in hearing what they had to say to you @a_sort_of_fractious_angel if you're willing to share! 

I'll shoot you a PM! 

3 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

Also, anyone still waiting on their official offer packet from Delaware? (they are mailing them via snail mail)

Me! I was really thinking it'd be today. But it'll be tomorrow, I can feel it. I also got a super lovely email from some current students and I asked a bunch of questions and they already responded which was awesome. I'm guessing you got one too, @LibraryLivingJT (or will soon)? And yay! That's awesome you're figuring out where you'll likely be! Great feeling (and great program!)

3 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Me! I was really thinking it'd be today. But it'll be tomorrow, I can feel it. I also got a super lovely email from some current students and I asked a bunch of questions and they already responded which was awesome. I'm guessing you got one too, @LibraryLivingJT (or will soon)? And yay! That's awesome you're figuring out where you'll likely be! Great feeling (and great program!)

I got that same email a couple days ago, and they were super prompt and helpful with answering my questions.

Even if accepted to U of Arizona, I will likely decline due to what I have seen from past years regarding their funding; one of my lower tier choices.

If accepted to SUNY Binghamton, would also likely reject, but it would really depend on funding (if they can compete with Delaware's generous package!) - hesitance here is mainly due to the economy in Binghamton and the surrounding area, as my fiance will be looking for a job wherever I end up in a program. 

4 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

No packet for us either, but we also got the email from the students! 

I’m sad because our fantastic UD POI is on sabbatical this semester. Does that mean there’s no chance to meet her at the visit days? She rocks and I want husband to get the chance to actually talk to her! 

6 minutes ago, punctilious said:

I’m sad because our fantastic UD POI is on sabbatical this semester. Does that mean there’s no chance to meet her at the visit days? She rocks and I want husband to get the chance to actually talk to her! 

It may or may not. One of my letter writers has been on sabbatical this entire year. But she still took the time to meet with me and other students for letter of recommendations and to attend some campus events. :)

8 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

I got that same email a couple days ago, and they were super prompt and helpful with answering my questions.

Even if accepted to U of Arizona, I will likely decline due to what I have seen from past years regarding their funding; one of my lower tier choices.

If accepted to SUNY Binghamton, would also likely reject, but it would really depend on funding (if they can compete with Delaware's generous package!) - hesitance here is mainly due to the economy in Binghamton and the surrounding area, as my fiance will be looking for a job wherever I end up in a program. 

Would you be living in Philadelphia if you accepted Delaware's offer?

8 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

Yay! And yea - funding is important (at least for me). UD definitely offered something sweet and the university (with its proximity to Philly and its 'burbs) will have a ton of employment opportunities. 

9 minutes ago, punctilious said:

I think her being there is 50/50 - depends on what she's doing with the sabbatical. Like @Warelin, one my LWs was on sabbatical but she made time to read and respond to my stuff.

Do you think you could email the DGS to ask? Even if she's not around physically, you could see if was OK to email her and get a conversation going (provided she's not somewhere with 0 internet or is super busy) - I imagined she'd want to hear from a potential student! 

5 minutes ago, Warelin said:

It may or may not. One of my letter writers has been on sabbatical this entire year. But she still took the time to meet with me and other students for letter of recommendations and to attend some campus events. :)

Hmmm, I’m wondering if he should email the POI directly to see if they’ll be able to have a meeting while he’s there? Or just wait for further details on the visit. She’s one of the main reasons that husband applied. Her research interests are perfect for him (post-45 American lit with a thing theory focus) AND she worked in Europe after her PhD before coming to UD!

5 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Do you think you could email the DGS to ask? Even if she's not around physically, you could see if was OK to email her and get a conversation going (provided she's not somewhere with 0 internet or is super busy) - I imagined she'd want to hear from a potential student! 

That’s probably the best idea. It would suck to not be able to meet her at the visit day, as it’s probably important to assess how well you click with your potential advisor, right?

7 minutes ago, punctilious said:

That’s probably the best idea. It would suck to not be able to meet her at the visit day, as it’s probably important to assess how well you click with your potential advisor, right?

It would be a bummer, absolutely. For one of my programs, the DGS has been working with me to meet with a POI - I'd guess that UD's DGS might be able to do the same for you?

If I were a DGS, at least, and had a potential admit who wanted to meet a POI, I'd definitely want to know/try and make that happen. If she's not physically there, hopefully you can get a conversation going via email (or phone!) At the least, I'd let the DGS know that you're really excited about this professor and want to meet her (that's always a good thing) and see what they say.

Edited by a_sort_of_fractious_angel

First acceptance of my second round of applications came from Wake Forest today. I was also offered a full tuition scholarship. It's not my first choice, but I'm happy to have some positive news this year, since last year's applications were all bummers. 

5 minutes ago, theburiedgirl815 said:

First acceptance of my second round of applications came from Wake Forest today. I was also offered a full tuition scholarship. It's not my first choice, but I'm happy to have some positive news this year, since last year's applications were all bummers. 

Congrats!