2018 Acceptances

28 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

Glad to hear that I am thinking correctly with my gut in terms of employment opportunities :)

For sure! I have several friends working in industry around the area - if you end up definitely deciding on Delaware, I'm happy to share what I know in terms of employment. It's a great area! 

4 hours ago, writersquire said:

To the folks who have heard from UConn already--what track did you apply to? I'm rhet/comp and I'm wondering if people who've received acceptances/been waitlisted are looking to do lit or rhet/comp and if,  by extension, I should assumed I'm rejected or still hold onto hope. 

I'm accepted to lit, so that doesn't help you much. I can confirm the statement whomever it was made about the DGS claiming that they're taking a smaller class this year, though--I was told the same thing.

Edited by signandsignifiers

On 2/20/2018 at 11:05 PM, Melville said:

Congrats!! 

Thank you! Won’t officially decide until after I visit and hear from the last 5 programs I’m waiting on. 

Still holding out a shred of hope for USC English, as it is my number 1 choice, but Delaware is my #2 at this point in the game, so I can’t conplain. 

Edited by LibraryLivingJT
Typo

2 hours ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

For sure! I have several friends working in industry around the area - if you end up definitely deciding on Delaware, I'm happy to share what I know in terms of employment. It's a great area! 

Excellent - thank you so so much! 

6 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

Thank you! Won’t officially decide until after I visit and hear from the last 5 programs I’m waiting on. 

Still holding out a shred of hope for USC English, as it is my number 1 choice, but Delaware is my #2 at this point in the game, so I can’t conplain. 

:)

13 hours ago, katie64 said:

I have still heard absolutely nothing so far! I really hope I do soon, as that would alleviate some of the job stress I'm currently feeling. :(

Hang in there, @katie64! IIRC, you're also still waiting on Louisville? I have no intel, just sharing the anxiety of waiting on that particular decision.

Edited by maengret

8 hours ago, signandsignifiers said:

I'm accepted to lit, so that doesn't help you much. I can confirm the statement whomever it was made about the DGS claiming that they're taking a smaller class this year, though--I was told the same thing.

Well my hope is that they aren't done with the rhet/comp applicants yet and that I'm not sitting in a rejection pile. Either way I'd just like to hear. Congrats to you! 

45 minutes ago, writersquire said:

Well my hope is that they aren't done with the rhet/comp applicants yet and that I'm not sitting in a rejection pile. Either way I'd just like to hear. Congrats to you! 

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was told that they could bring in "2 (rhetoric and composition students) at the most" for this cycle. I'm not sure if both applicants were notified though.

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was told that they could bring in "2 (rhetoric and composition students) at the most" for this cycle. I'm not sure if both applicants were notified though.

Oh well, I'm realistic enough at this point not to get my hopes up. Thanks for the intel though! 

For Stony Brook applicants, isn't it strange that there have been no postings re interviews as of yet?? In 2017 and 2015 it seems notification of a pending interview was given the last week in Jan and the acceptances went out 6 weeks later. At this point, if the interviews were to be scheduled for next week, one wouldn't hear back until the 2nd week of April (if the timeframe for notification follows the previous years' notifications). What is up with that? Could it be that the interviews have already taken place??

Answer to my own query: I just called the Grad school and a nice gentleman said he does not think that interviews are part of the process anymore. He also said he thinks the letters will go out in March.

Edited by Melville
called the school

Finally received some news back - acceptance to Louisville's MA program and placed on waitlist for funding. Kind of bittersweet because there's really no way I can go without the funding, and it's one of my top choices, so if you've been accepted with a GTAship and already know you won't be going, I would love if you would notify them! 

Edited by katie64

3 minutes ago, katie64 said:

Finally received some news back - acceptance to Louisville's MA program and placed on waitlist for funding. Kind of bittersweet because there's really no way I can go without the funding, so if you've been accepted with a GTAship and already know you won't be going, I would love if you would notify them! 

Congratulations and I really hope the funding comes through soon!

5 minutes ago, katie64 said:

Finally received some news back - acceptance to Louisville's MA program and placed on waitlist for funding. Kind of bittersweet because there's really no way I can go without the funding, and it's one of my top choices, so if you've been accepted with a GTAship and already know you won't be going, I would love if you would notify them! 

Congratulations on the acceptance!

Sometimes, MA students can get LOA (letter of appointment) adjunct positions in affiliated departments. Might be worth looking into. 

1 hour ago, katie64 said:

Congrats on getting an offer at one of your top choices! Fingers crossed that funding gets cleared up.  

1 hour ago, unicornsarereal said:

I assume that will be me as I've heard nothing

1 hour ago, Melville said:

Me too

I’m sorry, though barring me winning the lottery in the next few weeks I will likely be rejecting the offer so hopefully that helps you (or anyone else) out.

4 minutes ago, renea said:

Finally heard back from Florida State- accepted with funding, which means my husband and I finally both have acceptances to the same school!

That is amazing

4 minutes ago, renea said:

Finally heard back from Florida State- accepted with funding, which means my husband and I finally both have acceptances to the same school!

Congratulations to you both!!

5 minutes ago, renea said:

This is sooooo wonderful to hear!!! Congratulations!!!