2018 Acceptances

17 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

OMG holy crap! Way to keep hope alive! Congratulations!!

Thank you so much :) it's surreal. I was crying at work the other day after my 6th rejection came back and just started a separate thread here about MA programs still accepting applications! 

5 minutes ago, DeePee16 said:

Do we now assume that Columbia is done and dusted?

My assumption is most likely, since it was a portal update (I feel like those are generally all at once?).

4 minutes ago, automatic said:

Thank you so much :) it's surreal. I was crying at work the other day after my 6th rejection came back and just started a separate thread here about MA programs still accepting applications! 

You're going down in Grad Cafe history, you know! You only need one, and sometimes that one is COLUMBIA!

21 minutes ago, automatic said:

Not at all!!! It was an official letter, posted to the portal. I got an email to check the portal and there it was! I have no idea if they were all posted at once, etc etc., obviously, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Thank you so much for the clarity!

7 minutes ago, DeePee16 said:

Do we now assume that Columbia is done and dusted?

I am going to think that. There could still be waitlist decisions, but acceptances on the portal seem like a wave notice instead of a one-by-one notice.

5 minutes ago, bpilgrim89 said:

I am going to think that. There could still be waitlist decisions, but acceptances on the portal seem like a wave notice instead of a one-by-one notice.

Okay. Thank you! So happy for the people who sailed through :)

1 hour ago, automatic said:

I just got into Columbia!!!!! I actually did not post on the board, so that must be another. I have been rejected from all 7 of my other programs, and this was the last place I was waiting on, and I just got accepted. Oh my god. I am beyond happy, grateful, and shocked. I've been looking at options for next year assuming I'd have to apply again for another round. YOU GUYS. 

Congrats! That's awesome.

On 2/23/2018 at 4:08 PM, bpilgrim89 said:

Actually if I remember correctly from past years, Columbia has tended to notify based on subfield, so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions here.

22 minutes ago, Narrative Nancy said:

Awwww I'm so excited for you! I know I don't know you but I could cry rn. Woohoo!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! Ah this feels so cheesy but I am just so excited to be a student again and be back studying English next fall! I've missed it so much. When I thought I was getting shut out this year (seriously!!!!! 7/8 rejections, all before the one, final decision which happened to be an acceptance!!) it was actually that experience that made me realize how much I actually do want this--during the whole application process and waiting period I was thinking like, wow, do I really have what it takes to go down this road?--and then when I didn't get it I realized how much I want to try. And then I did!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh this is so miraculous. 

On 2/23/2018 at 5:08 PM, immanentfields said:

Actually if I remember correctly from past years, Columbia has tended to notify based on subfield, so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions here.

If it is useful for anyone, a) I heard around 4pm today (3.47pm, to be exact, EST) and b ) my subfield is 20th/21st century autobiography and autofiction!

6 minutes ago, automatic said:

If it is useful for anyone, a) I heard around 4pm today (3.47pm, to be exact, EST) and b ) my subfield is 20th/21st century autobiography and autofiction!

In your SOP did you lean towards American or other?

2 hours ago, automatic said:

I just got into Columbia!!!!! I actually did not post on the board, so that must be another. I have been rejected from all 7 of my other programs, and this was the last place I was waiting on, and I just got accepted. Oh my god. I am beyond happy, grateful, and shocked. I've been looking at options for next year assuming I'd have to apply again for another round. YOU GUYS. 

Congratulations!!!

4 hours ago, immanentfields said:

Actually if I remember correctly from past years, Colombia has tended to notify based on subfield, so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions here.

I do hope you're right. I had thought that was just for interviews. Either way, I need to devote all of my remaining hope to Penn's waitlist, so I will remain pessimistic and be happily surprised if proven wrong!