2018 Acceptances

4 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Not me (I didn't apply there). I just get excited when I meet other Texans. :D

I need to visit Texas one day. I've never met an unfriendly Texan nor an unhappy one. I need to drink some of that...water.

7 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I need to drink some of that...water

It's mostly tequila and/or Shiner, but we'll share. 

I honestly didn't feel much love toward Texas until I left it. I didn't realize how much my identity was wrapped up in Texas culture--whatever that is--until I moved away. 

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

Husband hasn't heard back from TCU yet, but ugh I'll be honest that the $$ is very tempting. He's only heard back from two programs, he was accepted to FSU so right now that looks like where we'd be heading, but if he got into TCU it will be very hard to turn down. Previously VTech & FSU were our top choices, but I don't have my funding packages from either to compare. 

9 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

I honestly didn't feel much love toward Texas until I left it. I didn't realize how much my identity was wrapped up in Texas culture--whatever that is--until I moved away. 

Same. I was ready to get away and then I found out that I don't like the snow and half my diet was queso and whataburger neither of which I have available to me here. 

54 minutes ago, renea said:

Just received an acceptance from Texas Christian University with a fellowship, very excited to potentially be back in my home state. 

Congratulations! Always nice to have an option that takes you home :-)

Just received an email from U of Oklahoma stating that they reduced their number of MA and PhD slots this year and they only accepted fully funded students, and I am number four on the waitlist. I applied to the MA program with a rhet/comp concentration. 

5 minutes ago, ThePandaBard said:

I've just gotten word that I'm wait listed at UCR and that I should know my status in two weeks. If anyone got in and isn't planning on attending, please do me a solid and let them know ASAP!

Good luck! And good to know they're still in the process

7 minutes ago, LexHex said:

Good luck! And good to know they're still in the process

Thank you! I was getting nervous there. A wait list isn't an acceptance but it's better than not knowing. I emailed the program coordinator this morning to let them know that my panel on Shakespeare and Society had been accepted for 2018's PAMLA conference. I got the email about an hour later.

4 hours ago, Warelin said:

I need to visit Texas one day. I've never met an unfriendly Texan nor an unhappy one. I need to drink some of that...water.

LOL! I have family in Texas, once I’m done with my PHD I will definitely look for jobs down there. It’s not the water, it’s the Shiner. Definitely the Shiner. 

Question--I learned that the UC Berkeley (top choice) visit days are March 16. Is it safe to assume that if I haven't heard from them, I can go ahead and accept another offer? Can anyone confirm that they've also let waitlisted people know? I'm nervous b/c my other offer encourages you to apply for external funding, and I'd like to get started on that... 

1 hour ago, boondoggle said:

Question--I learned that the UC Berkeley (top choice) visit days are March 16. Is it safe to assume that if I haven't heard from them, I can go ahead and accept another offer? Can anyone confirm that they've also let waitlisted people know? I'm nervous b/c my other offer encourages you to apply for external funding, and I'd like to get started on that... 

Idk anything about UC Berkeley, but is it possible to apply for external funding prior to officially accepting your offer? 

On 3/1/2018 at 10:27 AM, renea said:

Husband hasn't heard back from TCU yet, but ugh I'll be honest that the $$ is very tempting. He's only heard back from two programs, he was accepted to FSU so right now that looks like where we'd be heading, but if he got into TCU it will be very hard to turn down. Previously VTech & FSU were our top choices, but I don't have my funding packages from either to compare. 

Maybe you'll both get accepted with fellowships! 

2 hours ago, boondoggle said:

I called the department. I was told that all waitlists and acceptances have gone out. Sorry that I couldn't provide you with better news.

21 hours ago, ThePandaBard said:

I've just gotten word that I'm wait listed at UCR and that I should know my status in two weeks. If anyone got in and isn't planning on attending, please do me a solid and let them know ASAP!

Congrats!

11 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Maybe you'll both get accepted with fellowships! 

I called the department. I was told that all waitlists and acceptances have gone out. Sorry that I couldn't provide you with better news.

Congrats!

@Warelin honestly that is GREAT to hear--at least that's decisive information! Did you call in the last day?

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Yesterday morning :)

Ugh @Warelin, who did you talk to? I just called the graduate coordinator (just now) and he said "unfortunately I can't confirm that, that's up to the faculty. As far as I know, applications are still under review, and we hope to be able to get back to you within the next week." :angry:

1 hour ago, renea said:

Idk anything about UC Berkeley, but is it possible to apply for external funding prior to officially accepting your offer? 

Lol you would think, right? But no, most of these fellowships disseminate their applications through the institution of affiliation... so the Uni mediates, even though it isn't the source of funding. So this is a pretty frustrating disadvantage right now :angry:

8 minutes ago, boondoggle said:

Ugh @Warelin, who did you talk to? I just called the graduate coordinator (just now) and he said "unfortunately I can't confirm that, that's up to the faculty. As far as I know, applications are still under review, and we hope to be able to get back to you within the next week." :angry:

I called Ken's number but someone else picked up. She said her name but I can't recall it. She told me to hang on a minute and then she gave me her answer. 

Sorry to bother about this subject again, but I want advice: When asking CSU for a decision extension, should I 1) specifically ask for April 15th and 2) mention I want to wait out some waitlists? I have a paragraph about being excited for the program but I don't want to come off as "If I'm accepted to Penn State I am immediately dumping you," if that makes sense.

19 minutes ago, marisawhy said:

Sorry to bother about this subject again, but I want advice: When asking CSU for a decision extension, should I 1) specifically ask for April 15th and 2) mention I want to wait out some waitlists? I have a paragraph about being excited for the program but I don't want to come off as "If I'm accepted to Penn State I am immediately dumping you," if that makes sense.

I would just say that you're seriously considering the opportunity to join them and that you would appreciate more time to make that important decision.

4 minutes ago, clinamen said:

Officially off the waitlist and accepted at USC! ? The email was unbelievably kind and detailed regarding my research and the admission process. Their funding package is super awesome, too. I’m thrilled to officially have this option! 

Congratulations!!! That is fantastic!!!

7 minutes ago, clinamen said:

Officially off the waitlist and accepted at USC! ? The email was unbelievably kind and detailed regarding my research and the admission process. Their funding package is super awesome, too. I’m thrilled to officially have this option! 

Ah!! Congrats!!