2018 Acceptances

19 hours ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

Accepted to U of Arizona for English, but will be turning my offer down tomorrow, as I already said yes to Delaware

Well, Congrats! Even if it doesn't actually matter, at least it's nice to know.

I'm on the waitlist for funding at three schools, and don't plan to attend without funding. I'm high on the waitlist at two, low on the waitlist at another. I really don't want to commit to a school until I'm able to see it in person, but don't want the expense of visiting the school if I'm not positive I'll have funding. One of the higher waitlist schools has the standard April 15 accept/reject deadline, while another's isn't until the summer. Any advice on this predicament? Can a school tell you on April 15 that you've come off the waitlist, but you need to make a decision by the end of that day/without seeing the school in person?

Finally got my acceptance letter from Georgia State (quite frankly very late in the game as I have already accepted elsewhere) so warning to future ppl who apply they sent out notifications very late. 

15 hours ago, katie64 said:

I'm on the waitlist for funding at three schools, and don't plan to attend without funding. I'm high on the waitlist at two, low on the waitlist at another. I really don't want to commit to a school until I'm able to see it in person, but don't want the expense of visiting the school if I'm not positive I'll have funding. One of the higher waitlist schools has the standard April 15 accept/reject deadline, while another's isn't until the summer. Any advice on this predicament? Can a school tell you on April 15 that you've come off the waitlist, but you need to make a decision by the end of that day/without seeing the school in person?

Have you tried asking if they will reimburse your expenses if you visit? All but one of the schools I visited were able to cover all of my expenses, so I feel like it's a reasonable question to ask, especially if you explain that you're not comfortable accepting until you see the environment and the culture of a place. Fingers crossed that you'll hear about funding soon!

22 minutes ago, clinamen said:

Officially accepted to UW off the waitlist!! But my funding offer is for fewer years than I expected... :wacko:

Congratulations! I have heard that some universities will only officially guarantee something like four years, with a "possibility for an additional year" so that they have something in place if you don't progress--but that most people in the program end up getting that last year. Maybe that's what going on with UW? You could ask a grad student what the likelihood of an additional year of funding is. 

2 hours ago, clinamen said:

Officially accepted to UW off the waitlist!! But my funding offer is for fewer years than I expected... :wacko:

Congrats! I’d also like to add a small note here that some universities also “guarantee fewer years” in order to make it easier to increase your stipend after certain exams at some schools. Other schools guarantee your stipend for one year only in order to adjust their stipend for inflation and to ensure all students receive equal funding in the program. :)

9 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Congrats! I’d also like to add a small note here that some universities also “guarantee fewer years” in order to make it easier to increase your stipend after certain exams at some schools. Other schools guarantee your stipend for one year only in order to adjust their stipend for inflation and to ensure all students receive equal funding in the program. :)

Out of upvotes but thank you so much for this information! I hadn’t considered this type of funding situation — I will keep my fingers crossed that there is something like this going on at UW! 

UW has some history of squirrelly deals with funding, but I've mostly heard horror stories about not funding the first year. If you have funding for, say, the first four years then I'm sure Warelin's right on and you've got nothing to worry about:) 

4 hours ago, melian517 said:

Have you tried asking if they will reimburse your expenses if you visit? All but one of the schools I visited were able to cover all of my expenses, so I feel like it's a reasonable question to ask, especially if you explain that you're not comfortable accepting until you see the environment and the culture of a place. Fingers crossed that you'll hear about funding soon!

I only applied to MA programs, so unfortunately I don't think they would offer to cover any funding. :( Thank you, though! I hope to hear soon as well...

1 hour ago, Hermenewtics said:

UW has some history of squirrelly deals with funding, but I've mostly heard horror stories about not funding the first year. If you have funding for, say, the first four years then I'm sure Warelin's right on and you've got nothing to worry about:) 

Yes I have heard the horror stories as well about no funding the first year, and luckily that is not the case here. I have it guaranteed the first four years.. so I am hoping that it isn’t difficult to secure funding beyond that! Thank you all, these comments are very encouraging ?

Former UW student here. It used to be true that funding was easy to secure beyond the contracted years and practically a guarantee. That is no longer the case. They now have a complicated system for ranking students for additional years of funding based on everything from progress on dissertation to teaching evaluation scores. Ask a lot of questions of the DGS, talk to some current students, but I would be wary if the four years doesn't feel like enough (which its not for most people).

On 3/29/2018 at 3:35 PM, AngieEngLit said:

@LibraryLivingJT, which specific program?  I applied to PhD in Lit, and haven't heard anything yet... oh the agony...

PhD in Lit. Focus: 20th century and contemporary American Lit, focusing on ethnic American lit in particular. They had called me at the beginning of last week, and I had called them back last Thursday.

Good luck!

Finally heard back from CofC and they've "very enthusiastically" accepted me for the Fall, thanks to a couple of emails from the director of the MA program and the director of Irish Studies. They're also offering me a pretty decent GAship and a small fellowship (though I'll know exactly what they're going to be offering before the 15th), so I'll most likely be heading south this year! I'm admittedly overwhelmed, and still keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out. 

3 hours ago, theburiedgirl815 said:

Finally heard back from CofC and they've "very enthusiastically" accepted me for the Fall, thanks to a couple of emails from the director of the MA program and the director of Irish Studies. They're also offering me a pretty decent GAship and a small fellowship (though I'll know exactly what they're going to be offering before the 15th), so I'll most likely be heading south this year! I'm admittedly overwhelmed, and still keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out. 

Congratulations!

I will also very likely be heading south in the fall, so here's to us escaping this snow finally!

20 hours ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

PhD in Lit. Focus: 20th century and contemporary American Lit, focusing on ethnic American lit in particular. They had called me at the beginning of last week, and I had called them back last Thursday.

Good luck!

Thank you!

I got the call late Friday that I am waitlisted...!

3 hours ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Congratulations!

I will also very likely be heading south in the fall, so here's to us escaping this snow finally!

Thanks and same to you! It will be a big change considering I've always lived in the northeast, but I'm very much looking forward to getting away from the snow and ice!

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted my offer at SMU. It was a hard decision between 3 schools at the end, but ultimately the 'feel' of the campus and the dynamic of the faculty won me over. I'm so excited for everyone here and wish you all great success and happiness wherever you are!

11 minutes ago, Englishnerd2018 said:

Accepted my offer at SMU. It was a hard decision between 3 schools at the end, but ultimately the 'feel' of the campus and the dynamic of the faculty won me over. I'm so excited for everyone here and wish you all great success and happiness wherever you are!

Congratulations! :)