CMU Heinz 2018

yoh_rrg

24 minutes ago, anmanya said:

Congratulations to everyone! That's great news!

Any idea if the decisions are only out for DC track or for rest as well?

I’m in Pittsburgh two year track, and I’ve heard some people got in DA track and three semester track as well! Haven’t heard about MEM, MAM, etc.  

(Just to be optimistic) it could be because our applications were completed and passed on for reviewing relatively late? Mine got completed on 14th and I did the video interview bit by 21st. What do you think?

4 minutes ago, anmanya said:

(Just to be optimistic) it could be because our applications were completed and passed on for reviewing relatively late? Mine got completed on 14th and I did the video interview bit by 21st. What do you think?

Oh yes, that's what I was thinking. We're not going to be penalized. Seems that we had about the same schedule. I think they must just be doing them in installments and that we missed the first installment. 

@UrbanPolicy&Development and @anmanya. Same here (and I think we three are international students). For what I have seen in the admissions survey from GradCafe (https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=CMU&t=a&o=d ) I think they are sending the admissions results to the United States citizens and residents first. I hope we can get news this week. Good luck to all applicants!

51 minutes ago, JuanOrtizPP said:

@UrbanPolicy&Development and @anmanya. Same here (and I think we three are international students). For what I have seen in the admissions survey from GradCafe (https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=CMU&t=a&o=d ) I think they are sending the admissions results to the United States citizens and residents first. I hope we can get news this week. Good luck to all applicants!

Ohhhhhhh good observation! Fingers crossed.

Finally got my acceptance email! Accepted to the MSPPM 2-year track. I am an international and completed the interview on February 18th. Got 30% tuition scholarship from Heinz College Strategic Partner Scholarship.

Edited by hdmm3

I was accepted to the MSPPM Data Analytics track too, congrats to everyone else accepted! 

Does anyone know if research opportunities are available to Masters students or reserved for PhDs? Some of these research centers look extremely interesting https://www.heinz.cmu.edu/faculty-research/research-centers. I'm also worried about fitting research time in given the per-semester unit requirements for the data analytics track. 

14 minutes ago, thismustbetheplace said:

Does anyone know if research opportunities are available to Masters students or reserved for PhDs?

I asked this question when I was emailed by a professor welcoming me to Heinz! He said there are limited opportunities, and the more open you are with the person in charge of the institute/center about your willingness to help the more it'll help you! He said to start reaching out closer to the school year to see what's available! He says they're mostly for second years, so even if it doesn't work out in year one, you can pursue it later in the program! 

4 minutes ago, AddSmith said:

I asked this question when I was emailed by a professor welcoming me to Heinz! He said there are limited opportunities, and the more open you are with the person in charge of the institute/center about your willingness to help the more it'll help you! He said to start reaching out closer to the school year to see what's available! He says they're mostly for second years, so even if it doesn't work out in year one, you can pursue it later in the program! 

Thanks for the info! I actually had an email drafted responding to that welcome email asking some of the same questions, so I can now pair it down a little :D. Do you know if first years typically get TA positions / campus jobs, or is it common to hold off on work-study in general until the second semester? 

7 minutes ago, thismustbetheplace said:

Thanks for the info! I actually had an email drafted responding to that welcome email asking some of the same questions, so I can now pair it down a little :D. Do you know if first years typically get TA positions / campus jobs, or is it common to hold off on work-study in general until the second semester? 

This is from a blast email from admissions:

"Regardless of work study eligibility, students can earn $5,000 in a variety of on-campus positions including office assistants and research assistantships (RA) during their first year in the program. In addition, Career Services and the Office of Financial Aid can assist interested students in identifying off-campus employment opportunities with similar earning potential for year 1 and in year 2."

On 3/17/2018 at 10:07 PM, mppapp2018 said:

I forgot to post a few days ago, in with 40% funding! I have some difficult decisions to make. 

Same, I got into three of my top programs when I was only expecting to get accepted to maybe one, they're all in the midwest (Pittsburgh feels like the midwest even if it isn't technically) with great reputations and in awesome cities that I'd love to live in. I'm not complaining at all lol, I honestly just don't know how I'm going to make this decision. 

Edited by Jamesvsteel

On 3/26/2018 at 11:58 PM, Minymo said:

Does anyone know if we can negotiate scholarships at this point?

I think so. When I submitted my scholarship review form last week, I got an automated response back saying I would have an answer within 7-10 days. So if you submit this week that should still give enough time to hear back by April 15. I would do it asap though.