MFA Creative Writing Acceptance/Rejection Letters

Perszona

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 2:14 PM, rooguild said:

It looks like Ohio State has also begun to notify, and possibly the Syracuse poetry program. I'm not expecting to hear back until February, but it's exciting to see the results come in!

Thanks! Also looks like Ole Miss has started their second round of applications -- it looks like they do it by phases. I didn't apply there, but very exciting for those who did! Good luck with all of your apps!

Rooting you all on! My husband ultimately decided to only apply to English PhD programs, but he was heavily debating also applying to Creative Writing MFAs. And if he's shut out of the PhDs, he might try again for MFAs* (as he now has a short story publication under his belt!).

GOOD LUCK!

*We are aware, however, that MFAs are even harder to get into than the English PhDs.

3 hours ago, punctilious said:

Rooting you all on! My husband ultimately decided to only apply to English PhD programs, but he was heavily debating also applying to Creative Writing MFAs. And if he's shut out of the PhDs, he might try again for MFAs* (as he now has a short story publication under his belt!).

GOOD LUCK!

*We are aware, however, that MFAs are even harder to get into than the English PhDs.

Thanks, and good luck to your husband!

2 hours ago, rooguild said:

I'm not Poetry, but it looks like Poetry acceptances and waitlists are already going out at Syracuse!

So cool for the poets! I wonder how far behind the Fiction responses will be. I did apply there, though I'm not holding my breath, lol

On 1/23/2018 at 3:06 PM, allthebrightthings said:

I did apply there, though I'm not holding my breath, lol

So did I, and not holding my breath (I got rejected last year). We'll see if anything changes...

What's everyone's top choices? I'll go wherever the money is & wherever I get in, but I've been dreaming of U of Wisconsin.

On 1/26/2018 at 10:36 AM, rooguild said:

So did I, and not holding my breath (I got rejected last year). We'll see if anything changes...

What's everyone's top choices? I'll go wherever the money is & wherever I get in, but I've been dreaming of U of Wisconsin.

I didn't apply there but they are very very generous with funding. Good luck, I hope you get in there!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you as far as money and whoever accepts me, lol. My top choices are either University of Wyoming, University of Iowa, or Syracuse but I'll let the cards fall where they fall. I've already been accepted to University of South Carolina and I'm very grateful for that. But that doesn't mean I haven't been checking gradcafe every ten minutes... 

Hi everybody,

I've had the good fortune of being accepted at Adelphi, Hofstra, and Creighton already, though they may do rolling admissions. I'm still waiting on...

• Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)
  • Iowa
  • George Mason
  • Sarah Lawrence
  • Alabama
  • Texas State
  • Butler
  • UMASS (Boston)
  • Emerson
  • Northwestern

Ohio State already notified acceptances and wait lists so...I'm going to chalk that one up to a loss, haha.

Some of the programs with larger cohorts (Iowa, George Mason) often begin notifying in February but take through much of March, so depending on the program size don't be discouraged by others receiving early offers. Yours may well be on the way...

Best of luck to everybody!

I'm not sure if this is the thread for this, since you specifically asked about acceptance/rejection letters, but I just got an interview request last week from SAIC. So it seems like it's also the season for interviews, if anyone's wondering....

13 hours ago, PoetWitness said:

Hey y'all. So grateful for this thread.

Random question: I noticed a few schools are doing phone interviews. Not sure if this is a new thing or not. But, does it usually mean doom if you don't get a notice about an interview? Thanks much! 

I'm pretty sure that most schools don't do interviews. In fact, I was just as surprised as you when I saw that some schools were doing interviews according to the results page. Usually it's just accept, waitlist, or rejection. Some schools might do interviews, but it's definitely not the norm, so don't fret!

11 hours ago, allthebrightthings said:

I'm pretty sure that most schools don't do interviews. In fact, I was just as surprised as you when I saw that some schools were doing interviews according to the results page. Usually it's just accept, waitlist, or rejection. Some schools might do interviews, but it's definitely not the norm, so don't fret!

Thanks! I'm trying to stay pretty positive. You can't control the process. It is what it is. I learned that from applying for my first master's degree. But, I noticed that one of the schools that I applied to this go round (U of Pittsburg) sent out interview requests, per MFA Years. I didn't get a request, so, I figured that wasn't a good sign. But, maybe it's part of their weeding out process? I haven't a clue. I thought someone here may have more insights. Anyway, I appreciate your response. Good luck!!

To the person who posted the following on Results:

• Has anyone heard from the Michener Center yet? They’re about a week behind on responses so far. I’m anxious, I suppose.

Michener goes through two initial rounds of rejections. That's why you've seen rejections going out in early-mid January and late January. Acceptances will go out in February. So no, they're not behind, there's no lag. Take a deep breath and feel very good that if you haven't heard back yet, you've made it to the final decision pile, so to speak :)

FYI if anybody applied to Rutgers-Camden (which you all should because it's funded and Philadelphia is a fantastic town) they are still reviewing apps. I say this because they have historically been earlier notifiers (I was accepted there on Jan 28th) and didn't want anyone freaking out. Sidenote: If you have any questions about the programs, feel free to ask.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:44 AM, archangel_ said:

To the person who posted the following on Results:

• Has anyone heard from the Michener Center yet? They’re about a week behind on responses so far. I’m anxious, I suppose.

Michener goes through two initial rounds of rejections. That's why you've seen rejections going out in early-mid January and late January. Acceptances will go out in February. So no, they're not behind, there's no lag. Take a deep breath and feel very good that if you haven't heard back yet, you've made it to the final decision pile, so to speak :)

Here to mention that I read on the "MFA Draft '18" page in the comments of a Michener post that they will be sending out ALL notifications in March. No more waves like the previous years. It's panicking time once more!

5 hours ago, Jacqui said:

Do you think all acceptances have been sent out already or they're just starting the process? 

Sorry, but I have no idea on those specifics. I received a very kind phone call with an offer of admission yesterday. I was so excited. I barely asked a question! 

Hi! Has anyone heard from these schools about MFA in creative writing?

columbia college Chicago 

school of the art institute Chicago 

CalArts

columbia university 

NYU

I haven’t been notified of anything or asked about an interview. I’m not sure when the normal times for acceptance or rejection is for these schools. 

Thanks!!