MFA Creative Writing Acceptance/Rejection Letters

Perszona

7 hours ago, rooguild said:

NYU and Columbia are both making calls, but I definitely wouldn't give up on Columbia yet, since they admit so many people-- it probably takes a while to contact everyone.

I've always wondered how many people Columbia actually admit to their MFA program? I hear it's 100 in total for the three programs (poetry, CNF, and fiction) but that's 33 per stream then? 

Edited by milil

1 hour ago, Someonehere said:

This post must have been some kind of mfa rain dance because the results board has been pinging with Brown results. Hope you got good news. 

Ha! Thanks -- I'm a witch! I haven't received an email (yet) so I guess I'll continue to, er, wait. I've been trying to deduce if they send wait list emails the day after rejections, but then decided that it's out of my hands and added neuroses won't help. 

I hope you've gotten/will get good news, too! 

12 hours ago, Someonehere said:

Is anyone waiting despondently for waitlists to fail to turn into acceptances? Please commiserate, misery loves company. I don’t know what’s stronger, the happiness of knowing I was almost good enough vs the cruelty of leaving open a tiny chink of hope...

In the same boat here. I was waitlisted for my top choice and although it feels nice knowing I almost made it, I know I can't get my hopes up because there's also a good chance I won't make it in after all of this. (Also waiting on three more schools for their decisions doesn't help ease the stress.) 

18 hours ago, Jacqui said:

In the same boat here. I was waitlisted for my top choice and although it feels nice knowing I almost made it, I know I can't get my hopes up because there's also a good chance I won't make it in after all of this. (Also waiting on three more schools for their decisions doesn't help ease the stress.) 

Thanks for replying Jacqui! I feel the odds are so incredibly long. Good luck with your remaining schools as well. 

10 hours ago, samosasandsobaos said:

How many schools are y'all waiting on? And have you made any decisions yet? :)

0a/0r/1w/1p. 

I’ve made lots of decisions, for example I decided I am not going to spend the next month worrying about that waitlist. Unfortunately my subconscious mind went right on worrying...

I’ve decided that since I’m probably staying put this year I’m going to write my heart out and live my best life until 2019 applications open.

I’m undecided if I’d accept the pending decision if it was an acceptance. The waitlist is my dream school, and I have trouble compromising. 

I have decided, very firmly, that by this time next year I will be such a gun writer I will need to fend schools off with a shovel.  I will have to turn off my phone there will be so many calls coming through. 

Anyone deal with flakey recommenders? My 3rd recommender ghosted and I had to replace him (mostly my fault because I was hesitant to ask him in the first place. Professional rather than academic rec). Most programs were flexible and understanding but it took weeks to get it sorted out and another letter written. In that time the only program that asked for 2 recs instead of 3 accepted me outright, while another waitlisted me as soon as they received the new letter.

I'm giving myself another round to try to catch on with a funded program but I'm frustrated I didn't control all variables to learn for next year.