Rangel or Pickering Fellowship 2019

m7752ne

10 hours ago, Ashton575 said:

Also a no for me. I am still hopeful for Pickering though! Anyone else waiting on Pickering now?

Yes, I'm also waiting for Pickering. Based on what we discussed in the thread a week ago, I think I have a better chance to get it if they're making the decisions based on personal demographics (i.e. I'm not a person of color but I am female with a rural, working class background). If they use our current educational/employment status, I also think I have a good chance for Pickering (i.e. two and a half years of undergrad). If their decisions are based on neither of those components, I still remain ill-advisedly hopeful. :D I have a lot of really relevant experience...and I hope that some fellowship program, even if its neither of these, sees it soon (understatement of the century: grad school is expensive). These fellowships are just stupidly competitive because we're all strong candidates.

@duj117 absolutely, and I appreciate you putting that in here. 

From my own personal experience: I have applied to countless fellowships/programs/ect throughout college. Most of them, I did not win. Being a determined, high achieving student (like all of us on this forum are), it is so so easy to put your value on if you win a fellowship/ect or not. It has taken me many rejections to finally come to understand that winning/not winning does not determine my overall success/ value as a scholar, and it not winning should not be a soul crushing moment. Determined, driven, smart people are no less determined, driven, and smart just because they aren't selected for a certain program. We are capable of making an impact on the world, some of us through this fellowship, and some of us in other, unique ways. Both paths are completely respectable ❤️

Good luck everyone.