MFA Creative Writing

Ckoh

Hi everyone! Can anyone let me know if they hear back for MFA Creative Writing? I’m waiting and it’s so hard. Some schools had December deadlines and I don’t know when the letters come in. Is it by mail or email? 

I applied to CalArts, SAIC, Columbia College, NYU, and Columbia University.

thanks!!! 

Definitely, but still waiting. I applied to nine programs but most of them explicitly claim to not expect any  decisions or interviews before the first week of March. I'm assuming notices will be both (digital and hard copy mail). 

I applied to Bard, Cornell, Rutgers, Columbia University, Brown, UMass Amherst, U of Michigan Ann Arbor, Syracuse, and Iowa. 

I'm now crazy, and broke. 

Good luck! 

On 1/10/2018 at 8:05 PM, Cazzem said:

I'm now crazy, and broke.

I feel you. Seems like a good time to pick up a distracting hobby. Like guitar or home brewing or compulsively checking forums.

This is my second (and final?) attempt. I applied to one school last time and a whole bunch this time. Ole Miss, UF Gainsville, Johns Hopkins, Wisconsin, Michigan, Wyoming, Iowa, UT Austin, Cornell, and University of Oregon.

Ole Miss has a two-step process, so I'm expecting to hear back from them, either way, first.  

On 1/10/2018 at 8:05 PM, Cazzem said:

I'm assuming notices will be both (digital and hard copy mail). 

Email appears to be the norm now, but I've heard that some places actually call... 

Based on gradcafe results from past years, it looks like most programs send their acceptances in February, but Michener sends its first round of rejections (I guess they go through multiple tiers of rejections) in late January. 

This is my second time and I applied to UVA, Iowa, Michener, Michigan, WashU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Syracuse, and Alabama, all for Fiction.

Search the site to get an idea of how your programs respond and when they finally do. Some schools work in waves--early rejections, first pick acceptances, second round rejections as spots fill up, last waitlist offers, and final rejections. Some take forever to notify of rejections, as in end of March or early April. It can be a mixed bag. I applied previously in 2013 for Fall 2014. For now, I think no news is good news. As a previous poster said, most don't begin notifications of acceptance until mid-February. But the longer you don't hear after that, likely the worse the news. But there are definite outliers. Generally, most programs email or call for acceptances. Letters seems to be rarer, less immediate. Rejections come in as letters, though, or email.

I've applied to twelve this round:

• University of Victoria
  • University of Guelph
  • University of Toronto (MA)
  • University of Michigan
  • Brown University
  • University of Iowa
  • Purdue University
  • University of Wyoming
  • Concordia University (MA)
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • Boston University
  • University of Windsor (MA)

So far I've heard back from University of South Carolina and Vermont College of Fine Arts! Both acceptances for Fiction. I've also applied to:

• University of Nevada Las Vegas
  • University of Oregon
  • Washington University
  • University of Houston
  • University of Iowa
  • Syracuse University
  • University of Maryland
  • University of Wyoming
  • North Carolina State University
  • Bowling Green State University

Best of luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 1:33 PM, rooguild said:

Reviving this thread because notifications are coming in. Anybody heard yet? I got my first rejection from Syracuse yesterday.

Received my first rejection from Washington University in St. Louis about a week ago. I applied to Indiana Bloomington and saw a bunch of poetry acceptances on the results page, so I'm assuming another rejection will be headed my way soon. 

Based on previous years' results, it seems like most programs don't start sending stuff back until around mid-February, so I suspect this upcoming week is when we'll start to see more activity. 

I still haven’t heard anything yet so I’m waiting.... I applied to the 5 that I said before. Has anyone heard from them? 

SAIC

NYU

columbia college Chicago 

CalArts

columbia university

I’m freaking out and not knowing what I’m going to do next year. Congrats to those who got in and us who haven’t heard or didn’t dont give up! We got this! 

16 hours ago, Ckoh said:

I still haven’t heard anything yet so I’m waiting.... I applied to the 5 that I said before. Has anyone heard from them? 

SAIC

NYU

columbia college Chicago 

CalArts

columbia university

I think SAIC has sent out interview notices, based on the results page, but the rest haven't notified. Hang in there.

I called into Hamline University in the Twin Cities and heard some decently good news; I'm being seriously considered for admission and it may be a matter of "when" as opposed to "if." I'm nervous about my hopes being dashed, but I've been reassured that I'm merely waiting for a positive email.

Minnesota State, Virginia Commonwealth, Youngstown State, Emerson College, University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) and Butler are also on my list. We'll see what happens in the near future. Hopefully good things. Fingers are crossed and hopes are high, we'll see where the Lord wants me to go...

2 hours ago, MisterMambo1990 said:

I called into Hamline University in the Twin Cities and heard some decently good news; I'm being seriously considered for admission and it may be a matter of "when" as opposed to "if." I'm nervous about my hopes being dashed, but I've been reassured that I'm merely waiting for a positive email.

Minnesota State, Virginia Commonwealth, Youngstown State, Emerson College, University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) and Butler are also on my list. We'll see what happens in the near future. Hopefully good things. Fingers are crossed and hopes are high, we'll see where the Lord wants me to go...

I've also applied to Butler and Minn State. Was turned off by Hamline's lack of fellowships. Good luck!

37 minutes ago, tsimon27 said:

I've also applied to Butler and Minn State. Was turned off by Hamline's lack of fellowships. Good luck!

Thank you very much. I did notice the lack of fellowships at Hamline, but felt like the rest of their program did more than enough to make up for it. Being admitted is more than enough for me. Good luck to you as well! Perhaps we'll be classmates sooner than later.

Hi fellow writer friends!! I am so excited I found this thread. I am in the midst of my February freak-out and I am a mess of stress. 

I am waiting to hear from fictions programs at University of Wyoming, UC San Diego, Bloomington, Purdue, and Western Washington. I know a few of those have sent out some notifications (which UGH because I haven't heard yet so that doesn't sound great). Any others in my waiting boat/heard anything from these schools? 

This is my second round of applications (my first was in 2016). I have had some rejections, too, but so far I've been accepted to Adelphi! :) 

On 1/19/2018 at 2:58 PM, Tyedyedturtle91 said:

Search the site to get an idea of how your programs respond and when they finally do. Some schools work in waves--early rejections, first pick acceptances, second round rejections as spots fill up, last waitlist offers, and final rejections. Some take forever to notify of rejections, as in end of March or early April. It can be a mixed bag. I applied previously in 2013 for Fall 2014. For now, I think no news is good news. As a previous poster said, most don't begin notifications of acceptance until mid-February. But the longer you don't hear after that, likely the worse the news. But there are definite outliers. Generally, most programs email or call for acceptances. Letters seems to be rarer, less immediate. Rejections come in as letters, though, or email.

I've applied to twelve this round:

• University of Victoria
  • University of Guelph
  • University of Toronto (MA)
  • University of Michigan
  • Brown University
  • University of Iowa
  • Purdue University
  • University of Wyoming
  • Concordia University (MA)
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • Boston University
  • University of Windsor (MA)

I applied to a lot of the same schools.  Any word from Saskatchewan?  I got accepted, but they still have 3 fiction spots available (as of Sunday when I spoke to the program director).

I applied to 13 schools.  I've heard back from 5 so far: acceptances from UoSaskatchewan and Minnesota State, and rejections from Maryland, Alabama and WashU.  The big boys don't seem too fond of my work.  I also applied to:

Hollins

VCU

UVA

EWU

Minnesota

University of Guelph

McNeese

University of New Orleans

Good luck, everyone and chins up!

On 2/21/2018 at 7:59 PM, rohrlikealion said:

Hi fellow writer friends!! I am so excited I found this thread. I am in the midst of my February freak-out and I am a mess of stress. 

I am waiting to hear from fictions programs at University of Wyoming, UC San Diego, Bloomington, Purdue, and Western Washington. I know a few of those have sent out some notifications (which UGH because I haven't heard yet so that doesn't sound great). Any others in my waiting boat/heard anything from these schools? 

This is my second round of applications (my first was in 2016). I have had some rejections, too, but so far I've been accepted to Adelphi! :) 

Congratulations!!!  That's a great program!

On 2/27/2018 at 2:57 PM, Vivalabetsy said:

I applied to a lot of the same schools.  Any word from Saskatchewan?  I got accepted, but they still have 3 fiction spots available (as of Sunday when I spoke to the program director).

Hey Vivalabetsy! You must be the first Saskatchewan acceptance on the Results page. I'm the second acceptance (woot!), who mentioned seeing your acceptance and expecting the worst! Nice to meet ya! Congratulations! I have a call scheduled with the director of U of S later today. Program looks great. Price is great, especially if funding is offered on top of that. Maybe we'll see each other there! Saskatoon will be a pretty huge change for me, but that is part of the appeal, honestly.

I have been accepted at University of Windsor (MA), as well; rejected by University of Michigan (surprise, surprise); and still waiting on nine others. Being a realist at this point, that this likely means several rejections are looming, but I was so surprised by the acceptance at Saskatchewan that I learned it really isn't over until it is over. Seems like lots of programs are moving very slowly this season. Does anyone else get that impression?

4 hours ago, Tyedyedturtle91 said:

Hey Vivalabetsy! You must be the first Saskatchewan acceptance on the Results page. I'm the second acceptance (woot!), who mentioned seeing your acceptance and expecting the worst! Nice to meet ya! Congratulations! I have a call scheduled with the director of U of S later today. Program looks great. Price is great, especially if funding is offered on top of that. Maybe we'll see each other there! Saskatoon will be a pretty huge change for me, but that is part of the appeal, honestly.

I have been accepted at University of Windsor (MA), as well; rejected by University of Michigan (surprise, surprise); and still waiting on nine others. Being a realist at this point, that this likely means several rejections are looming, but I was so surprised by the acceptance at Saskatchewan that I learned it really isn't over until it is over. Seems like lots of programs are moving very slowly this season. Does anyone else get that impression?

Have heard from many that it's been a bit slow this year, although this is my first year applying.

How did your call go?