James Madison University

Hi all --

I was wondering if anyone else lurking on the boards had applied to James Madison University. It's a very small and unranked program in Virginia, but it does occasionally offer funding through TA-ships and GA-ships (hence, why I applied).

If there's anyone around who's also submitted an application to this program, I would love to hear from you -- I've yet to hear anything from the English department, despite having applied early in the "rolling admissions" process and despite having regularly communicated with the English DGS, and I'm starting to get a bit anxious.

Very best to all fellow Grad Cafe members as we continue onwards in this emotionally-draining, ridiculously-maddening admissions game! smile.gif

Hi all --

I was wondering if anyone else lurking on the boards had applied to James Madison University. It's a very small and unranked program in Virginia, but it does occasionally offer funding through TA-ships and GA-ships (hence, why I applied).

If there's anyone around who's also submitted an application to this program, I would love to hear from you -- I've yet to hear anything from the English department, despite having applied early in the "rolling admissions" process and despite having regularly communicated with the English DGS, and I'm starting to get a bit anxious.

Very best to all fellow Grad Cafe members as we continue onwards in this emotionally-draining, ridiculously-maddening admissions game! smile.gif

Hey! I didn't apply there for graduate studies, but I did my undergrad at JMU in English and Psychology. I can't say as though I know much about the graduate program, but the undergraduate program was not very rigorous. Having said that, I LOVED the courses they offered and most of my professors, especially the creative writing, poetry, and renaissance faculty. They know their stuff, and they're extremely willing to set aside time to help you. For these reasons, I decided to take on English as a second major, and never looked back. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and since I've graduated (just 2 years ago!) they've opened up a new library, performing arts center, and tunnels (so you won't get soaked on your way to classes). The school is also known for its food! No joke! They've got over 18 places to eat on campus. (Can you tell I love the school -- I was a tour guide for prospective students) hahah.

Have you been able to visit there? Did you apply to other programs?

Hey! I didn't apply there for graduate studies, but I did my undergrad at JMU in English and Psychology. I can't say as though I know much about the graduate program, but the undergraduate program was not very rigorous. Having said that, I LOVED the courses they offered and most of my professors, especially the creative writing, poetry, and renaissance faculty. They know their stuff, and they're extremely willing to set aside time to help you. For these reasons, I decided to take on English as a second major, and never looked back. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and since I've graduated (just 2 years ago!) they've opened up a new library, performing arts center, and tunnels (so you won't get soaked on your way to classes). The school is also known for its food! No joke! They've got over 18 places to eat on campus. (Can you tell I love the school -- I was a tour guide for prospective students) hahah.

Have you been able to visit there? Did you apply to other programs?

Thanks so much for your response, DeepShadeofBlue! As luck would have it, I think we're from the same neck of the woods -- I actually grew up in northern Virginia and attended William and Mary for undergrad smile.gif I think the Virginia schools tend to play well with one another; I had many friends who attended JMU, and as a result of having a serious boyfriend who studied there as well, I made my way down Highway 81 quite often! JMU's exactly as you say it is: a beautiful, beautiful campus, and less crucially, but still notably, the food IS, in fact, great tongue.gif

On a more serious note, I'm very grateful for your positive comments regarding the department; I had gotten the feeling that the English department there is less rigorous than some of the other schools that I have applied to (and less rigorous than W&M), but the faculty research interests are a great fit for me. Moreover, I am hopeful for the opportunity to possibly get funding at JMU; I am really, really hesitant to go into debt for a Master's degree in the humanities. We'll see what fate holds, though -- I just got an e-mail from the graduate secretary today asking where she should send my decision letter (apparently decisions can't be given over e-mail, and she was confused as I had two addresses on my application), and so hopefully in a matter of days, I'll have word on it. I hope you don't mind if I throw some questions your way should the decision be positive; I'd love to get more of an insider take on the department.

In the meantime, all the best to you in your applications, and again, thanks for your response! It's nice to see another Virginian (or at least Virginian as far as college attendance is concerned) on the forums smile.gif

It's nice to see another Virginian (or at least Virginian as far as college attendance is concerned) on the forums smile.gif

There are actually a few of us here - I'm a GMU alumnus :D (surprisingly excellent English department, as I found out while attending - also their theater program is very very good for a tier-3 school - I started as a theater major)