University of Oregon

rtrgwnd

Does anyone have any information on finding housing in Eugene? I'm also trying to get a sense of what the neighborhoods there are like. I'm hoping to find a small house, relatively close to campus, but not in an overly student-poplated area. Too old for that. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on your acceptance! What will you be studying? I did my undergrad at Oregon. It's going to be difficult to find a small house fairly close to campus that doesn't have many undergrads. They seem to be sprinkled throughout the surrounding neighborhoods. One place I'd definitely stay away from are all of the apartments near Autzen Stadium. Convenient bus ride, but they are generally party-central for undergrads (so if that's what you're looking for, live there, if not, stay away). Chase, Ducks Village and University Commons are a few there. I'd check Craigslist to find a small house in the area, maybe the website for the Oregon Daily Emerald, which is the student newspaper. I believe they have classifieds. The bus system (LTD) is pretty good in Eugene. If you have questions about specific areas, I'd be happy to help! Downtown Eugene will be a bit on the loud side because of the bars, as well as 13th (the main road from campus to downtown).

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of moving to Eugene myself, and I think I ended up finding this particular place through Craigslist. Keep a window of Google Maps handy, to check for how close the location is to campus, and there is a lot of Eugene area covered by the Streetview function on Googlemaps as well. There are some great listings, but I agree with the previous poster that you might have to sift through quite a few listings. The great thing about Craigslist is the sorting function, where you can narrow down the results by max/min rent, number of bedrooms, whether they allow pets etc. I had NO luck with other apartment search engine type websites. Be diligent, and check once a day :)

Also, while some listings may seem far away from campus, there is a pretty decent public transportation that caters to students especially. Plenty of neighborhoods like Coburg, Kinsrow, Bailey Hill Road etc have bus lines that will drop you almost directly on campus. Eugene LTD (www.ltd.org) has some maps that, in conjuction with Craigslist and Googlemaps, should help you find a place within your price range where you can commute pretty easily.

It might be worth your while to check with your Director of Graduate Studies to see if there's some sort of rental listserv through your department. I got tips on a few places through the English Department, though I ended up passing on them.

Hope something works out!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use