So have you decided where you are NOT going?

going crazy

I'm definitely going to UT-Austin. I fell in love with the program and the city. I have no doubt in my mind that it is the place where I'm suppose to be. I'll be sending them my acceptance this week as well as my rejections to the other schools.

I'm definitely going to UT-Austin. I fell in love with the program and the city. I have no doubt in my mind that it is the place where I'm suppose to be. I'll be sending them my acceptance this week as well as my rejections to the other schools.

I knew you would. Congrats! Fantastic place to be!

I'm in that same boat. There were two schools that I was favoring over Ohio State, but their visit resolved several of the concerns I had. It brought up a few others, but they are minor in comparison. Speaking of Ohio State, funding news should be out in the next couple of days. That could potentially be a huge factor for me (not the dollar amount, so much as the number of years of fellowship support).

On topic, I haven't actually pulled the plug on any schools yet. I told my wait-list school to take me off the list, but I haven't managed to actually send my letter declining acceptance to anyone yet. I plan on doing that this week for at least two schools, possibly three, but I'm hesitant to do so because I feel like I'm burning a bridge. I recognize that it's completely irrational, but I never claimed to be a rational man. Or woman for that matter.

One school (Nebraska) that I know I'm going to turn down is a result of the combination of prestige as well as faculty suggestions. Every faculty member who I've spoken to essentially told me "you can do so much better than here." Another factor for me, especially since I'm married with kids, is years of implicit/explicit support. Arizona has many appealing aspects, and they offered bonus money per year for me, but they only truly guarantee it for one year, and supposedly guarantee it for three years. I was told they've never defunded anyone who was making progress, but I don't know if that's enough for me to go on. Washington State is another one that I'm probably going to turn down, in part because of it's level of prestige, but also because it's extremely far away from family (especially my wife's family). While that may sound like a minor consideration, I would rather finish grad school still married. Also, I assume a happy wife and children would be more conducive to academic productivity, so there's another bonus. Basically, I've pretty much narrowed it down to Penn State and Ohio State.

davolicious -- just wondering if you have made your final decision yet. If so, have you let any other schools know of your final decision? Still some folks on the wait list ..... that are, well, still waiting....

davolicious -- just wondering if you have made your final decision yet. If so, have you let any other schools know of your final decision? Still some folks on the wait list ..... that are, well, still waiting....

I've declined offers from everywhere but my final two schools (Ohio State and Penn State). The DGS from one tried to contact me while I was out of town on presentations and campus visits, and I'm trying to recontact them to see what they have to say before I make my final decision. I appreciate your anxiety on behalf of your friend, or yourself, or what have you, and I'll work things out for those two schools as quickly as I can, but please don't put all the onus on me for their eventual outcome.

If it makes a difference to anyone here, I declined my offers of admission to Florida State, Indiana, and Ohio State this morning. Best of luck to those on the wait list! Hope everyone gets in to where they want to go!!

Heading to Notre Dame. My decision wasn't too difficult, since I was accepted into Notre Dame (full funding), Nebraska (questionable funding), and Lehigh (masters). Going to tutor my younger fellow aspiring undergraduates so they don't go into this process as flailing as I did.

I've officially decided on Penn State, and informed Ohio State of said decision. From the way the DGS was talking, it sounds like Ohio State won't have very many people in their cohort this year, unless they open up lots of slots from their waiting list.

Officially turned down offer from Rice today. Totally painful. The funding package was incredible (27k for 5 years) and the faculty were extremely enthusiastic. In the end, I couldn't get over the newness of the program (I would have been in the inaugural cohort) and the apparent caste-like tendency for top-20 sociology departments to hire one another's graduates (http://www.jstor.org/stable/3593086). Not complaining about my options. It's just hard when both options are great.