Any Brits moving to Boston/Cambridge?

Hello,

I am going to Harvard Kennedy School this fall and I am moving to Boston/Cambridge in late June/early July (for summer school).

Just wondering if there are any other Brits/Londoners who are also making the move there? i.e. Harvard, MIT or BU students?

Thanks!

Hello,

I am going to Harvard Kennedy School this fall and I am moving to Boston/Cambridge in late June/early July (for summer school).

Just wondering if there are any other Brits/Londoners who are also making the move there? i.e. Harvard, MIT or BU students?

Thanks!

Hey! I'm a Londoner, moving to Boston in August to start my doctorate at Harvard. Are you there just for the summer or beyond? You sorted out accommodation etc?

Edited by db2290

Hi! I am there for a year doing a mid career Masters. My actual course starts in August but I am attending summer school beforehand which starts in July.

I move there at the end of June! I have sorted accommodation . As I am there for just a year I wanted to stay on campus in Harvard accommodation and save the hassle etc. It is slightly more pricey but location and convenience always win for me! I am going to live in a building called 10 Akron Street.

Anyhoo - if you are up for meeting for a coffee or emailing etc send me a PM.

Have you sorted visa etc? I am just doing all that stuff now. So many forms and such little time!

Hey! I'm a Londoner, moving to Boston in August to start my doctorate at Harvard. Are you there just for the summer or beyond? You sorted out accommodation etc?

Yeah, Harvard accommodation was also tempting but I'm living with a non-Harvard friend so couldn't go down the university housing route unfortunately! As for the visa, I was lucky enough to be born in the States and therefore managed to circumvent any visa issues for myself (although not for my fiance so still have to wade through piles of forms).

Regarding shipping, these guys (http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/homepage/default.aspx) came as recommended on the forum and elsewhere so I'm probably going to use them. Still bloody expensive though!

I am not shipping. I am renting a furnished apartment so I don't have to buy any bulky items. I am going to just pay for extra luggage. Virgin and British Airways only charge 50 dollars (32 pounds) for an extra case. So I am taking 1 or 2 free cases(depending who I fly) and i will pay for 2 or 3 cases.

The F1/F2 visa process seems quite straightforward (compared to the L1 which I had before) but yes there are so many forms!

Yeah, Harvard accommodation was also tempting but I'm living with a non-Harvard friend so couldn't go down the university housing route unfortunately! As for the visa, I was lucky enough to be born in the States and therefore managed to circumvent any visa issues for myself (although not for my fiance so still have to wade through piles of forms).

Regarding shipping, these guys (http://www.sevenseas...ge/default.aspx) came as recommended on the forum and elsewhere so I'm probably going to use them. Still bloody expensive though!

Another Londoner here, I'm going to BC for an English Ph.D. I've applied for grad accomodation, but haven't heard anything back yet; if that doesn't come through, I'll just rent privately... a little bit iffy about doing the whole sight-unseen thing, though. I'm looking at the Brookline Village and Coolidge Corner areas of Brookline, which seem really nice.

Another Londoner here, I'm going to BC for an English Ph.D. I've applied for grad accomodation, but haven't heard anything back yet; if that doesn't come through, I'll just rent privately... a little bit iffy about doing the whole sight-unseen thing, though. I'm looking at the Brookline Village and Coolidge Corner areas of Brookline, which seem really nice.

Ah, I lived in Boston a few years ago lived down the road from Coolidge Corner and it was great, highly recommended. Really nice feel, great supermarket there (Trader Joe's) and transport links were really good too.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding shipping, these guys (http://www.sevenseas...ge/default.aspx) came as recommended on the forum and elsewhere so I'm probably going to use them. Still bloody expensive though!

Hey,

I also found this company http://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk/ for shipping: it seems they are buying space from big shipping companies like DHL but have much cheaper prices (not sure how that works but I think I'll go with them).

• 1 month later...