American Applying to UCL in the UK

laurenmae130

Hey guys!

I think most of us understand entrance criteria for American grad schools (standard GPAs and GRE scores) but I'm looking to apply in Europe and need some advice. I graduated from Boston University, double majoring in International Relations and Economics. I graduated with a 3.5 (Cum Laude) but had a 3.6 in my Econ and math courses.

Right now I'm filling out an application to UCL (University College of London) for their Econ program. With my GPA, and a couple good references (one of my Econ professors is well known in his field and a past boss is writing another) as well as a semester abroad at LSE, do you think I have a good chance of getting in?

I'm a poor college grad and these application fees are piling up so I'm wondering if anyone can let me know if I'm wasting my time or not.

Thanks so much!

In my personal opinion, yes you do have a great chance of getting in! There are a lot of Americans who do the study abroad thing at UCL so they should be familiar with mainstream American universities. My friends at UCL come from Colorado (Boulder), Cornell and Emory.

Check the Fulbright Commission website too.

http://www.fulbright.co.uk/study-in-the-uk

Oh thanks for that link! It's helpful. And I certainly hope that UCL knows about US schools. That's one of the things I was most nervous about. I think Boston University is pretty well respected in the US, and it is frequently put on lists for good econ programs, but schools in the UK may not know this. My professor who wrote my reference is well respected, though. He has taught at Harvard and even taught Ben Bernanke (the Chairmen of the Fed for the US Bank...sorry, don't know if Brits know who he is). So hopefully that reference and my grades and my time at LSE will help!

You should be fine, although the biggest problem you'll have will be securing any funding. UCL (and LSE, KCL, Oxford, and Cambridge) will all be very familiar with Americans applying and what grades and such equate to (i.e. 2.1 in England means 3.whatever in the US). If you are doing some type of MA over there, then your chances are probably pretty decent, since you will most likely have to pay non-European fees (i.e. much higher), but that also means you only have to do 1 year instead of 2 for the cost of about half a year tuition in an MA program here. For a PhD, your biggest problem will be funding and coming back to the US if you want to teach eventually.

I'm doing an MA. And the 1 year program at UCL actually costs about the same as ONE SEMESTER at my university so even with the price hike for my not being an EU citizen will still be cheaper that going to school in the states. I would ideally like to move to the UK, too, so it being hard to find a job (since I do want to teach one day) in the US isn't really an issue.

But, since I'm not familiar with the applications and processes with British Universities, do you guys know what they value in applications? I know in the US, GPA and GRE scores are the biggest things. I know my GPA is a good equivalent to the UK standards (apparently 2:1 is like a 3.4 GPA, and I have a 3.5....and UCL requires a 2:1....i think) but what else will they look at for my application?

• 1 month later...

Anyone possibly hear back from UCL yet? And possibly for the MSc in economic policy? It's been six weeks (the waiting time the university says is average) and I've heard absolutely nothing. Not even something for an interview. I am not even sure if UCL, and the econ department, does interviews?

• 2 months later...

I received an interview request within a week, but mine was MSc in Management, so I don't know if it is applicable. Probably worth it to send an email asking about the status of the application or even giving them a call.