Graduate institute Geneva 2012 - 2013

Futurelawyerchick

Just got a tuition scholarship (which makes me fully funded) and accepted the offer at Geneva. Unless something drastically changes, I'm going to Geneva in September.

I haven't decided on the exact program I'm going to be attending (MIA or MIS IR/PolSys), any thoughts on that?

rox: I think they said that they won't give out scholarships after April 15, but I could be mistaken. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm starting to get super excited. I want them to finally publish their courses for next year so I can start planning. I'm obnoxious that way.

probably yes..

and about the french test i've not understand if it is at the beginning of the first semester ( how it is said at Graduate site) or at the beginning of the second semester (how written in the myGISA the association of student)...

I think if you signed the french language waiver and are taking French classes you have a semester to work on it before being tested, but if you didn't sign the language waiver and you do not have a certificate/diploma of some sort in French, then you have to take it at the beginning of the first semester.

Either way, I think the main requirement seemed to be that you test out of French before you can graduate.

Edited by Alamako

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who's been admitted!

I'm thinking of applying next year to start the IA program by September 2013. I'm already starting to explore all application-related aspects, and in particular I'd be curious to know if professional experience is decisive to get admitted there. In some MA programs as you guys probably know it is actually necessary to have a minimal relevant working experience of 2 years such as the Peace Corps.

I've already taken an MA in another field and hopefully will have worked for 2 years with an international organization in South America when I'll be applying, am fluent in 4 languages and dreaming of a academic / UN career on the long term which is basically why the Institute interests me so much. Yeah, you know, endless internships and doctoral studies before actually getting a normal life sort of prospects. Any couple of pesos on that? :)

Edited by Lud

I don't work in admissions or anything, but I do remember when I was applying that they told me that the academic background was more important than the professional background when they make admissions decisions. They advised me to have all of my recommendations come from professors because of this. You sound like you'd be a great applicant - I certainly don't speak four languages :) (well, English + have studied three other languages, but speak them all at varying levels of mediocrity)

Thanks Alamako. Well I'll give it a shot anyway. I got good grades for my MA but relatively miserable ones during my bachelor's degree so they'll possibly reject me for that. It's very interesting to hear that they actually suggested to get all of the recommendations from professors by the way, nice of you to share!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am looking in applying for MIA program at Geneva for the year 2013. I was wondering how the process was when you guys applied. I am currently attending Syracuse University and majoring in International Relations with a 3.3 cumulative gpa. I am only fluent in Spanish and English. I wanted to know what other factors can make me a competitive candidate to apply? Any piece of advice would be highly appreciated. And congrats for all your admission news!

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Dear all,

It was very helpful to read your advices and all other procedural aspects about application at Graduate Institute. I am also preparing my application for academic year 2014-2015 (a bit too late, I know!). I would be interested to know

-what is the general profile of candidates for MDev and MIA?

-how competitive is the application process ?

-how relevant is whether you apply by mid Nov or mid January if you want to be considered for scholarship? As far as I read, all decissions regarding the scholarships are made by March, so what does actually make the difference?

Also, any other tips - like what kind of refferences, what to underline in motivation letter etc - are more than welcome!!

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Corina

• 2 months later...

Hello Friends I am a student of METU Ankara in international relations program. I want to ask from the friends who got accepted that how was their application file like.
What really matters ? a good GPA if then how much I mean it has to be 4.0. Extra curricular activities and how can I make my motivation letter effective. please help me with my concerns