Did I essentially get rejected?

tom5156

Hey- so I applied to four programs and haven't heard officially from any of them yet. This past fall I spoke on the phone with my POI at my reach school, and she admitted to me that my application is a "long shot" because the program rarely admits PhD applicants with a GPA below 3.6/7 (I have a 3.26).

I saw on the results search that one person got an interview with the program I applied to at my reach school, so I e-mailed my POI earlier this week to basically remind her who I am and how much I want to work with her. She replied pretty quickly, and said that "it's not looking good" because there were 3 applicants to work with her specifically who had more competitive applications. She explained that she can't offer admission to all of the applicants, because if she did and they all accepted, she would be overwhelmed. She then said that if 2 of the people above me went elsewhere, she would be "delighted" to accept me.

Is she just being polite, and I am basically rejected? Or does is it sound like kind of like a wait-list situation?

I appreciate any insight/opinions about this situation!

At least she didn't say you have no chance ... so she must like your application. The real "hotshots" will be in demand everywhere, so there is a chance they won't choose this program. That's what those of us with less-than-perfect packages have to get hope from. It can work out. If it doesn't, try to make yourself a stronger applicant for the next round, whatever that means for your field. I had a pretty clear Plan B to follow had things not worked out.