2012 Rangel/Pickering Fellowship

top5678

Does anyone have any more background on the interview process? Everything I've read and so far all the people I've talked to said that the writing test happened at FSI. With it happening online before the interview, I wonder what they will be using that extra time for.

jrnels, I am also a finalist for the Pickering and am very curious as to what exactly the writing test and interview process entails, since the email notification was very vague. May I ask where you've been reading up on what people have said about the writing test? And what FSI is? On another note, I called them on Friday to ask more questions about the writing test, i.e. is it argumentative, analytical, etc.? Are there any sample questions available? Are their multiple options that we will be able to choose from?, and I was told that the only specifics they can give us are what is already in the notification email... sigh. This makes it pretty hard to prepare for, unfortunately... :(

Ahh sorry for the trouble- of course, a simple Google search yielded Foreign Service Institute for FSI so that solves that but exact details of test/interview remains a mystery... I think I'll just keep digging...

Taking the online writing test tomorrow. Good luck to everyone else! A little nervous about this Skype thing--hoping I don't act "suspicious" without realizing it. Can't wait to meet the other finalists next week!

True that. Just finished mine and want to shout out in joy!

I feel the exact opposite. I'm sure I would have been overjoyed if they were specifically within my area of knowledge. :) I think I did okay, but not as strongly as I could have if I had an in-depth understanding of the topics. Everything I've heard is that the interview is weighed more heavily, so hopefully that stays true!

The question in my mind, though, is what impact if any the early written exam will have on the interview. I doubt they will bring it up, but are we assuming that this will allow the final evaluations to happen more quickly? Meaning, if they evaluate the essays in the next week, they should be able to turn around final decisions pretty soon after the interview (just for context: at the Foreign Service orals, you find out the day of).

It'll be interesting...

Edited by jrnels

I hear ya. I definitely got two questions totally out of my area. My shout of joy is more just from the fact that it's over :)

I've heard that final decisions come out within a couple of days of the interview. I'm guessing that we'll know by the following Monday after interviews, the 23rd. Frightening...but exciting.

I feel the exact opposite. I'm sure I would have been overjoyed if they were specifically within my area of knowledge. :) I think I did okay, but not as strongly as I could have if I had an in-depth understanding of the topics. Everything I've heard is that the interview is weighed more heavily, so hopefully that stays true!

The question in my mind, though, is what impact if any the early written exam will have on the interview. I doubt they will bring it up, but are we assuming that this will allow the final evaluations to happen more quickly? Meaning, if they evaluate the essays in the next week, they should be able to turn around final decisions pretty soon after the interview (just for context: at the Foreign Service orals, you find out the day of).

It'll be interesting...

It'll be interesting...

I can't speak for the Pickering because I don't know how the written part is scored, but I am able to comment on the Rangel process.

For the Rangel, the writing part is scored separately from the interview. The score you get on the writing test is factored with your interview evaluation, but it does not influence the interview evaluation. For Rangel, a committee of two people scored the essays, and when all the interviews were finished, the separate scores (interview.writing) were compared.

I can only assume that the writing exercise is not seen by the interview panel, but I have no way of knowing. I'm sure asking the Pickering team at the Wilson Foundation would reveal the exact scoring method... anyone want to send that email?? :)

I hear ya. I definitely got two questions totally out of my area. My shout of joy is more just from the fact that it's over :)

I've heard that final decisions come out within a couple of days of the interview. I'm guessing that we'll know by the following Monday after interviews, the 23rd. Frightening...but exciting.

That's what I had been guessing as well. My shout of joy was immediately accompanied by an "Oh crap. This means the interview is next week!" So excited to meet the other finalists next week.

Hi PrattlAFF,

Did Rangel actually tell you your two scores?

I can't speak for the Pickering because I don't know how the written part is scored, but I am able to comment on the Rangel process.

For the Rangel, the writing part is scored separately from the interview. The score you get on the writing test is factored with your interview evaluation, but it does not influence the interview evaluation. For Rangel, a committee of two people scored the essays, and when all the interviews were finished, the separate scores (interview.writing) were compared.

I can only assume that the writing exercise is not seen by the interview panel, but I have no way of knowing. I'm sure asking the Pickering team at the Wilson Foundation would reveal the exact scoring method... anyone want to send that email?? :)

Well, I didn't receive scores per se... I knew when I finished the essay for Rangel that it wasn't my best work. I didn't prepare that much for the writing part because I was over-confident in my writing skills (fairly strong), and I didn't anticipate the range of issues with which we would be presented. The questions were more broad than the Pickering, and I struggled to make a coherent argument. So I know that it was the writing part that brought me down. I over-prepared for the interview, and I know it went well... I felt a good chemistry with the panel and I let them know just how much I think I am a good candidate. I actually received an email on behalf of the interview panel expressing appreciation for my participation and encouraging me to reapply (the email also explained that the writing portion was what held me back)... Not everyone received a personal email so I can only guess that I made an impression (I tell you this just for the sake of facts, and not because I have a superior opinion of myself).

So I have been preparing non-stop for the writing exercise for Pickering. I'm fairly up-to-date on US Foreign Policy, current events, etc, but I really took my time to dig into the issues. For future Rangel and Pickering hopefuls, I can recommend the following resources (in order of usefulness):

http://www.cfr.org/issue/ (read the issue guides, backgrounders, expert analysis, etc)

http://www.globalissues.org/ (left-leaning, but valid criticisms not common in mainstream discussion)

http://www.economist.com/ (beyond-the-headlines analysis)

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/ (most pressing issues in U.S. foreign policy)

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/ (entertaining and cuts to the chase)

http://www.the-american-interest.com/ (just a great bi-monthly publication with the theme "America in the world"... I recommend a subscription)

http://nationalinterest.org/ (realist and hawkish, but necassary, point of view)

PrattIAFF,

That's exactly how I felt after the Rangel writing exercise. I had prepared so much for the interview and was confident in my writing skills as well. That's so crazy that we both basically felt the same sentiment after our writing. By the way, American Interest subscription is a charm! Get it people if you don't already have it! The only thing that's going to suck is that next year I'll be studying in Budapest and that means if I get finalist I'll have to travel back (for Rangel at least) which is a total bummer but would be worth it!

Hey Jrnels,

Georgetown got me man! I'll be at MAGES starting next fall. The Spanish Language Studies department approved my deferral for my FLAS today so I'm too pumped right now man! Plus, they ended up giving me a steep scholarship that was also deferred I couldn't help but to say YES YES YES!

Good luck and i'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you all to get the Pickering!

PrattIAFF,

That's exactly how I felt after the Rangel writing exercise. I had prepared so much for the interview and was confident in my writing skills as well. That's so crazy that we both basically felt the same sentiment after our writing. By the way, American Interest subscription is a charm! Get it people if you don't already have it! The only thing that's going to suck is that next year I'll be studying in Budapest and that means if I get finalist I'll have to travel back (for Rangel at least) which is a total bummer but would be worth it!

Hey Jrnels,

Georgetown got me man! I'll be at MAGES starting next fall. The Spanish Language Studies department approved my deferral for my FLAS today so I'm too pumped right now man! Plus, they ended up giving me a steep scholarship that was also deferred I couldn't help but to say YES YES YES!

Good luck and i'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you all to get the Pickering!

Next fall as in fall 2013? After finishing in Budapest? Sounds great! Congrats. I really like the MAGES program, and being in DC for school will be great.

I'm feeling more worried about the writing part now, but I still think it was okay. I feel like in this instance, they don't expect everyone to be an expert on every issue but rather to be able to craft a compelling and well-supported argument. We are applying for positions as generalists after all. In fact, being able to write a good issue paper on an issue you don't really know is (in my experience) not too uncommon of a task for people at State. (At least this is what I'm telling myself! :) )

Edited by jrnels

Did anyone else get the email today with the surprise section about having to give a presentation on the essay we just wrote?

Yeah. In short: not pleased hahahaha.

Did anyone else get the email today with the surprise section about having to give a presentation on the essay we just wrote?

I think we should read into this more carefully, because this could actually be a chance to redeem ourselves:

"As part of your interview, you will give a 5 minute oral presentation based on the essay question you answered in your online, written exam."

This does not say that we have to give a presentation based on the paper we wrote. Rather it says we must present based on the question. I'm no lawyer, but that little nugget of nuance may just be our saving grace.

I'd be willing to email Pickering for clarification... do you think I should, or do we want to take this at face value?

Edited by PrattIAFF

Haha that is a good point! And I think it's worth clarifying. I'll send an email to ask :)

I think we should read into this more carefully, because this could actually be a chance to redeem ourselves:

"As part of your interview, you will give a 5 minute oral presentation based on the essay question you answered in your online, written exam."

This does not say that we have to give a presentation based on the paper we wrote. Rather it says we must present based on the question. I'm no lawyer, but that little nugget of nuance may just be our saving grace.

I'd be willing to email Pickering for clarification... do you think I should, or do we want to take this at face value?

Quick response from Pickering:

"The presentation should be based on the topic of your essay. If you choose to add or modify to what you’ve written that’s fine, but be mindful of the time limit and the fact that the committee will have read your essay."

While it seems we should focus on the essays we've written, there is some space to improve upon them during presentations.

So I have a quick question, based on this email quote:

"You may not use PowerPoint or other visual aids during your interview; hand-outs will be permitted."

I put together a few handouts, but one of them has a photo on it. Is that a visual aid or is it ok since its on a handout? I emailed them to clarify a couple of days ago, but got no response.

So I have a quick question, based on this email quote:

"You may not use PowerPoint or other visual aids during your interview; hand-outs will be permitted."

I put together a few handouts, but one of them has a photo on it. Is that a visual aid or is it ok since its on a handout? I emailed them to clarify a couple of days ago, but got no response.

I think it should be fine. I think they just don't want us relying on props. All attention should be on the panel, and the panel can look at handout if they choose.