Please help, I need to make a decision!

Hello All.

I posted a few weeks ago about deciding between BU or UIC unfunded masters programs. Initially, I thought that UICs high ranking and lower tuition would beat BU hands down. I have a few more considerations now, and still no decision:

1) UIC is much higher ranked according to the NRC rankings. I don't know how important these rankings are in "climbing the ladder" to a high ranked ph.D program.

2) UIC has a thesis option, but BU does not (it's a one year program). How important is a thesis in applying? I already know that I'll have to apply the year after I finished my masters if I attended BU.

3) UIC is 8 classes, HALF of which are required classes that are 400 level and open to undergraduates. This was a major red flag to me, but I'm still not sure as to how negatively this is viewed.

4) UIC has said in an email that they have "virtually no support" for 20th century American literature (my area of interest). BU has plenty of people working in 20th century American literature, and many resources for my theoretical interests. So fit is much better here.

I visited BU and loved it. The academic community seemed wonderful. UIC has not invited me to visit; however, I have been to Chicago several times and liked the city. Cost-wise, they both end up being the same (even though Chicago is 2 years and Boston is one).

HELP please. I am under pressure to make a decision!

While I do think a thesis option is nice, and I personally would have preferred that to a comprehensive exam, I did not have this at my two-year MA program and was able to get good writing samples from the seminars I was taking (if you're concerned about the WS). If UIC doesn't have people you'd want to work with on a thesis, why would you want to go there? If BU is friendly, helpful, about the same price, AND has people you want to work with, then go there! And honestly, don't worry about the rankings. For the schools that I've looked into, if a program does not have several people that I would want to work with, then in my estimation, it's ranked a lot lower for me. Besides, this is an MA program, for which prestige and name brand are less important than PhD, and if you think BU is going to be helpful to you in finishing their program, they are more likely to want to help you get into a good PhD program. Good luck!

Wow, it sounds like UIC is turning on the charm. They told you they have "no support" for what you want to do? I guess I admire the candor, but really . . .

I think the consensus here will likely be that the most important thing you can do to "climb the ladder" with your PhD applications is bust your ass to produce a good writing sample that engages an active area of scholarly interest in a clearly identified field. I really wouldn't worry about the rankings too much. They may matter insofar as they indicate available resources, which you need to be able to exploit. But it doesn't sound like UIC offers better opportunities for you in that regard. So I would suggest you eliminate that part of the equation.

I notice SPD . . . 9's comment above comes from a chem department. I don't know if this is a disciplinary difference, but my sense is that a good seminar paper supported by an engaged faculty is likely to do better in PhD applications for literary studies than would an excerpt (because you'd only be able to submit an excerpt) of a thesis cobbled together under the aegis of a department that doesn't give a shit.

Again, that's just my sense of it. I wouldn't base my decision on whether they welcome you to visit: it's easy to feel slighted by things that may not have any bearing on your ability to produce good scholarship, which is ultimately the most important thing. That said, besides the thesis question, you really don't say anything makes UIC sound like the better option.

You clearly state that both of these are unfunded offers. I wonder if you could feel out whether either program might have a guidance office that could help you look for external sources of funding. I think there are some folks on these boards who went that route and were able to minimize the amount of debt they had to take on to do an MA. If one school seems more ready to provide counsel about stuff like that, I would consider that a big plus.

I'm sure you've spent a lot of time already looking through the threads here on funded MAs. Such programs do exist. Your other option, if you ultimately don't feel satisfied with either of these choices, would be to reapply next year and really cover every program that offers money. I'm sure you've considered this already.

Edited by hiphopanonymous

transcendental- BU does seem friendlier, and they do have a lot of people that I want to work with. UIC has two people on the faculty that I could see myself working on a thesis with; it's not like there isn't anyone at all. My undergraduate advisor seems to think that to improve your application in a masters you should have detailed letters from faculty (which I'm more likely to obtain over two years), and that it's difficult to make relationships with faculty in a year. He also thinks a thesis is a necessary part of improving my application...

Hiphop- I had an funded offer from an unranked school, but fit was nonexistent there. I'm lucky in that I will not be accruing any debt from this degree. I am extremely thankful for that. To be honest, I really do want to go to BU, but I'm just afraid of how the "negative" aspects (no thesis, one year, etc.) will affect me in the long run.

Hiphop- I had an funded offer from an unranked school, but fit was nonexistent there. I'm lucky in that I will not be accruing any debt from this degree. I am extremely thankful for that. To be honest, I really do want to go to BU, but I'm just afraid of how the "negative" aspects (no thesis, one year, etc.) will affect me in the long run.

I think it's definitely very possible to establish relationships in one year. Go to office hours, attend the special events, get to know the faculty; you'll make some impressions, if that's what you set out to do. One of my professors who wrote me a letter for application season knew me for less than a year; I was in the middle of my second course with him, but I had really impressed him during the first course, and I spoke with him whenever I got the chance.

I'm not sure how the thesis would be perceived professionally. To be honest, I don't know that PhD programs would know whether or not you had completed a thesis (you could put it on your CV, of course, but I don't think that would really make a difference in getting admitted). If you produce a good writing sample, which you can definitely do via seminar, I think you'd be fine.

One other consideration is that BU is also 8 courses, which are spread over two semesters. I'll be attending BU in the fall, and when I visited, I spoke with some students who said that the workload was impossible to manage. I'm actually a bit excited about it, but just know that four graduate classes per semester will a TON of work. (Though it will be good preparation!)

Just my 2¢.

transcendental- BU does seem friendlier, and they do have a lot of people that I want to work with. UIC has two people on the faculty that I could see myself working on a thesis with; it's not like there isn't anyone at all. My undergraduate advisor seems to think that to improve your application in a masters you should have detailed letters from faculty (which I'm more likely to obtain over two years), and that it's difficult to make relationships with faculty in a year. He also thinks a thesis is a necessary part of improving my application...

It seems like from the bolded portion above that you already know you want to go to BU. Trusting your gut and feeling that you want to go somewhere is important. I think some reason for hesitation on one year MA programs is that you basically have to wait another year to apply to PhD programs so that you can get relationships with profs for LoRs and a writing sample. The bad part then is, if you are in debt, you would have to find a job for a year or so and begin to pay back those loans. If you're not going to be paying back loans on the degree, your only worry might be finding a job, which is certainly a valid one.

Thanks, hiphop :)

Statelyplump- That's very encouraging to hear (about the letter from your faculty member). I know that BU is going to be intense; they made that very clear at the open house. I am partly excited and partly terrified. I figure that if in my last semester of undergrad I took 18 credits of 400+ level courses, studied and took my lit GRE, and applied to 11 schools, I can handle BU's workload. *Fingers crossed*

Thank you for your 2 cents. Every piece of advice helps!

To be honest, I really do want to go to BU, but I'm just afraid of how the "negative" aspects (no thesis, one year, etc.) will affect me in the long run.

Well if you plan to apply during the second year of your hypothetical UIC program, it would effectively negate the "extra time to develop relationships" factor as well as the thesis option. You state above that you know you'd have to take a year off after the one year program, but to get the benefits your advisor describes, you'd have to do that with the two year program as well. You may be totally cool with that, just pointing it out.

I would go read the threads on Chicago's MAPH if you want to hear about how people have made use of a one-year MA. It's perfectly possible. Being around for two years doesn't guarantee that you'll ultimately get more attention or have better relationships: if it's not a part of the department's culture, and if there aren't professors who are interested in what you want to do (I notice that you qualify this a bit in your most recent post, but still that email you quoted earlier sounds inauspicious), then I don't suppose it would matter how long you stuck around. Whereas if you commit yourself early and show up ready to work hard, it seems totally doable to make a one-year MA work to your advantage.

You should weigh your advisor's opinions highly, since (s)he knows your work best.

transcendental- Guilty as charged. If people who have gone through the MA think it's possible to get something out of a one year program, then I will go ahead and do it. UI Chicago just seems to be a big name with not a lot of substance. Not really sure how that's possible, but that's the feeling I have. I'm also fully prepared to take a year off afterwards; right now, I'm planning to finish the bulk of my apps in early August- September and then get some perspective on my first world problems :) I really want to do some hard-core social service while I have the chance.

Hiphop- You're totally right. I thought of that, but I think it's just more psychologically intimidating to be done with the MA and then applying rather than in the MA and applying. Either way, it's tough. I think at Boston, I will get more attention and form better relationships. All of the faculty seemed so ready to take you under their wing (wings?).

Who needs NRC rankings, anyway!

transcendental- Guilty as charged. If people who have gone through the MA think it's possible to get something out of a one year program, then I will go ahead and do it. UI Chicago just seems to be a big name with not a lot of substance. Not really sure how that's possible, but that's the feeling I have. I'm also fully prepared to take a year off afterwards; right now, I'm planning to finish the bulk of my apps in early August- September and then get some perspective on my first world problems :) I really want to do some hard-core social service while I have the chance.

Good deal! I know what you mean about UIC, but I guess I never will get over the simple "DENY" that was listed on my website status when I applied there last year. They do not like anything resembling sweetness, let along sugar-coating, it seems. Also, BU is definitely awesome and has a great reputation.

Edited to add: FWIW, I've been rejected by both of these schools, so I didn't want you to think that was the reason why I was advocating one over the other. :)

Edited by transcendental

• 3 years later...

I'd pick BU and make my absolute mission during that year to produce a writing sample. I'd work on it for as many classes as the professors would let me. UIC sounds like it's not the right place for you. You want faculty there who can help you with the writing sample AND who are reputable in your field for recommendation letters. 

Edited by CarolineNC