Contacting schools for feedback

I think it's time we get the thread going for this, since I've seen lots of mentions of this on various other threads.

I want to get in touch with a few programs that didn't accept me, especially two programs that waitlisted me, to find out about whether there were glaring problems, or even just areas to strengthen. The question is: how best to do this? Any advice?

Early in the process I emailed a few schools pretty soon after getting rejected. 3 of 3 responded: 1 with constructive criticism about my SOP, 1 saying it was just truly a competitive year and there were no recognizable "flaws", and the 3rd went above-and-beyond by calling me and explaining how competitive it was and that I might have gotten in any other year, as well as that they were looking for more MAs than BAs for their grad program. My point being that I think you should certainly go for it as you have pretty much nothing to lose, and just don't necessarily expect a fast response. Especially in your case, where you might very well be re-applying next year, which will be good to mention as they'll recognize your genuine interest and probably be more willing to give feedback.

Thanks! I just contacted the programs that wait-listed me, as it was easier to respond to communications we'd already exchanged (I'll let you know if I get good feedback!).

Right now I'm struggling with how best to contact two other programs that are really top schools, but that I thought I had really good "fits" for -- what do you even put in the subject line of those types of emails?

I happen to work in the area of online communications (nonprofit sector), and the topic of subject lines is a perennial issue -- how do you get folks to open the email?

I find myself staring at the blank subject line of this email I'm about to send off to the DGS of #1 school in the world and I'm just paralyzed.

Anyone have any examples? What has worked?

I happen to work in the area of online communications (nonprofit sector), and the topic of subject lines is a perennial issue -- how do you get folks to open the email?

I find myself staring at the blank subject line of this email I'm about to send off to the DGS of #1 school in the world and I'm just paralyzed.

Anyone have any examples? What has worked?

I don't purport to by any kind of wizard in this area, although it seems that *almost* all of my emails receive some sort of response. I just e-mailed the cuny grad center for feedback with the subject line "Recent Rejection." I received a response and was told that they would be happy to answer my questions after May 1st (also I directed the email to the wrong person).