USC Ed.D

Scholar29

Sweeny - I thought the same thing and sent an e-mail on Friday inquiring about the status of my application. I received a reply stating that "my transcripts posted in admissions this week and my file would be sent for review early next week." I guess I'm not sure what that means, but I find it hard to believe that I submitted my application on 1/1/13 and it hasn't even been reviewed yet. 

To be fair, I had requested all of my supporting docs (transcripts, test scores, etc.) on 1/4 to be sent to USC and UCLA. I received an e-mail from USC on 2/20 stating that they had not received one of my transcripts (which is odd, as I requested one to be sent to UCLA at the same time and they didn't have any problem). I immediately requested another one to be sent and confirmed shortly thereafter that they had received it at USC. I have lived near USC for some time and I know their Post Office is not always perfectly reliable, but a lot of time has elapsed since then and I just keep finding it harder and harder to believe that they're efficiently processing the applications.

As great a job as SC did with info sessions, etc. I think they have done an equally poor job with managing the application process.

Coloradifornian--my thoughts exactly.  How is a school that's ranked highly be so disorganized?  I completely understand issues out of one's control (i.e. snail mail); however, USC is not a new school so I figured these issues would be cleared up by now.

In all my schooling, I've never dealt with this "issue" before...

It'd be nice to at least receive a few emails letting us know what process our application is in--I received two emails letting me know faculty had begun reviewing my docs: one in January and another one in February, I was confused and unsure which date was accurate...

Having worked for a lawyer for 10 years, he use to make me call our clients every other week and let them know where their file was at...I guess it's old-school etiquette...even if we didn't have any news, this gave clients peace of mind knowing we hadn't forgotten them...I wish USC Rossier did that...I've been really stressed about this...I haven't even received an email letting me know my transcripts were in :( 

I haven't even received a response for my Friday email... :(

Anyways, point being is I'm quite disappointed with their application process.  I hope they straighten whatever issues they have, and as an apology for the stress we've endured these 4 months accept all of us! :)  It's the least they can do...

¿¿¿¿¿This also makes me worry how thorough they are with our applications????  

You bring up another good point, Sweeny. On Rossier's website, they state that in 2012 (last year), 379 applications were received for the Ed.D. Program. Of these, 219 enrolled. That's an unbelieveable 58% yield. In other words, out of 379 applications, only 160 people either didn't get accepted or chose not to attend (went somewhere else, decided not to go to school, etc.). Without knowing exact statistics, I could find it reasonable that 66 people were admitted, yet chose not to attend. If that's true, then at least 3 out of every 4 applicants were granted admission last year.

I work at a Cal State School, where we received over 40,000 applications this year. Our yield is much, much smaller, and we had the majority of decisions out within 2.5 months (I submitted my app almost 3.5 months ago). Granted, I'm sure we have a bigger staff. But seriously, 2+ months for <400 apps? C'mon.

What's more, UCLA's deadline for a deposit is 4/20. If SC doesn't their act together, they're going to lose some good folks to that program before they even return a decision. Unless that's a strategy their using to manage their incoming class, I don't see why you would do such a thing. It's really just disappointing. 

Coloradifornian--I wish I would've looked into UCLA's program (or any other program for that matter)--I put ALL my eggs in one basket!  I'm quite upset at myself for it; however, that's how sure I was of my acceptance.  Bad tasting medicine--but lessoned learned.  

I starting the application process July '12.  I went to MANY info sessions, even had rossier staff and current students review my application documents before I submitted them (I even contacted my former advisors and professors to review my docs as well).  USC fit my available hours and schedules, plus it's the only higher ed ed.psych program that isn't for potential school counselors (or at least one that fit my availability).

Anyways, I don't blame Rossier for this...I blame myself.  I can't believe I only applied to one school!!! I'm so stupid! I was just confident it was going to work out...anyways, my fault. If Rossier doesn't work out this fall, I'll just look around to other schools...

I'm still hoping Rossier works out though...

Wishful thinking??? Perhaps...

Good news (kinda):  I finally spoke to the assistant director--luckily, he was VERY apologetic...I imagine something out of their powers is going on, but can't really say--he completely understood and said they're all very grateful with how patient applicants have been...granted, he never gave me a definite date as to when we'll receive notice--simply apologized, thanked me for my patience and said they're hoping to send out responses very soon--he even asked how I was doing (he remembered me from the info sessions--or maybe he was trying to butter me up so I wouldn't be so upset :) ).  Anyways, he ended by saying that ONE faculty member is still reviewing my documents and hopes that person completes it very soon (after asking what process my application was currently in).  I suppose I'll give them until May 1 (don't really have a choice) until I call again--any news for anyone else? 

I wonder what is going on.  I am hoping this means they just have not had as many people as they needed to review applications and that is why it is taking so long. Hopefully we all hear GOOD news soon!

Interesting. Sweeny - I'm glad to hear you spoke with someone. At least you got some type of assurance that your app was moving along. I received an email on Tuesday stating that my application "has been processed and will be sent for faculty review." From what it sounds like, that could take awhile.

It sounds like the Asst. Director has probably been getting some heat from applicants about getting decisions made. I would assume that will speed up the process, but we'll see. Let's all keep each other posted on any progress. I makes me feel better when I know some movement is happening for somebody. Good luck!

Sounds good, Coloradifornian et al!  This is truly consuming my life--it's disgustingly disturbing how much I think of this--last night, I had an acceptance dream--granted, a few weeks ago it was a declination dream!  My mind is even playing with my academic emotions! :)  We stalk our poor mail-person!  He literally brings our mail to our door to tell us nothing's in--everyday!!  Poor guy!  He's as anxious as us to get some type of notice--i should buy him coffee after all this is said & done, he's been awesome! :)

What's difficult for me is, if accepted, I need to relocate...however, I can't make plans until I hear something...I live in Northern California, so as you can imagine, fall plans are definitely on hold! 

Is this too stalker-ish but has anyone (who lives nearby USC) actually gone in to ask anyone what's going on?  Maybe that's too extreme, but waiting this long is pretty extreme.

Peers, I received notice yesterday of my acceptance!!!! They congratulated me personally via phone (and later received an email)...

Notices are out, so keep on the look out; if not, call! It worked for me:)

Please let me know if you've heard anything!  I'm rooting for everyone:) and sending positive energy on over...

Thanks for giving me an outlet to vent...it truly kept me sane!

All right, all right, I finally got accepted today. I got an e-mail a little after 5 this evening saying that I have been recommended for admission to the Ed. D. Program, and another e-mail shortly after inviting me to the admitted student dinner.

Poosher - I'm 100% sure that yours is on its way. The admitted student dinner is on 5/2, so I'm sure you'll hear before then. They certainly seem to be moving a little bit faster now. I'm not sure what the holdup was before.

oh my gosh! I truly hope I get in. Congrats Coloradifornian!!  So happy for you :)  I had a friend who knows someone in their admissions office figure to what is going on. Apparently she said their system for processing apps is horrible! But I should hopefully hear soon. I just want to know for sure!!

Thanks Sweeny!! I appreciate it :)

Poosher, I feel your stress...not knowing consumes your life, doesn't it?  I'm sorry...but hopefully we'll all see each other come May 2...

Coloradifornian, have you decided on UCLA or USC??? Great options to have...

Hi everyone. I submitted January 28th and still have yet to hear anything from USC about the Ed.D. I called last week and was told my application was still in committee review and has been for a month now I guess. For those who have heard back, does anyone remember when the orientation dates are this summer? I'm trying to plan some things.

Thanks!

• 10 months later...

Anyone looking into results for Fall 2014 USC ED.D.?

Just checking. This thread is over a year old but seems like much of the same. However, I havent received any emails saying that my material has been passed to faculty for 'the' review. I'm not sure whether I'm alone on this. Let me know if anyone else is waiting.

Thanks....

Edited by philosofize