Curatorial assistant salary

mooncake88

Hello all,

I'll be graduating soon and applying for jobs, and I am trying to gauge what I should put for salary expectations in cover letters, etc. Unfortunately I seem to have a very vague idea of what a starting salary for a curatorial assitant (or equivalent position) would be in NYC. From looking online it seems to be about $30,000-$40,000. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Best of luck to all in this application cycle!

For survey of salaries and benefits in the area, my first instinct is checking with regional museum associations.

Currently, I'm in the NEMA region and definitely NEMA does a survey of this -- I believe NY is in the region of MAAM (mid-atlantic museums association).

You'll have to keep in mind that the results are averages between states and may not reflect individually a big city. In other words, hard to say if this average is a competitive wage for your museums you are exactly applying for.

As for the number you are throwing out there, that's about right... but you'll have to keep in mind a few things, whether the museum is small/medium/large (larger museums may have more resources, and sometimes not), and where the museum is physically located. You'll also have to think about your own needs and what the lowest financially you'd take or need to live off, and put a number up there that is higher.

Read the job description carefully -- sometimes there is fixed funding associated/allotted for the position, and you won't be able to stray higher or lower. With a number in mind, museums can balance how close/far you are from it, with their needs and restrictions. Throw a low number, you'll be a bargain, but throw a high number -- they might take that into account with your application (perhaps as a deterrent).

Finally, the salary number should ideally reflect your qualifications, and the years/quality of museum experience. Again, ideally :-)

Edited by ArtHistoryandMuseum

Most curatorial assistant jobs in NYC start around 25,000-30,000, particularly if you don't have an MA yet.  My first job was 30,000 for a curatorial assistant in a small nonprofit, when I had good internship experience and just a BA.  A larger institution will probably require an MA, and will probably have a greater salary.

Thanks, everyone. To clarify, a few of the positions are asking the candidates to state salary expectations in the cover letter. I would be more comfortable having a more informal discussion about it once further into the process (if I am lucky to get that far), but for a few of them this is unfortunately a requirement for applying. I will have an MA already and have thorough internship and job experience, so hopefully I can propose something in the low $30,000s and see what happens from there.