applying to a new PhD program after a leave of absence-advice needed!

phd_paula

Quick background: double minority with strong GPA and GRE scores-went straight into a top 5 PhD program from undergraduate with no background in sociology and very little understanding of academia. Did very well in coursework, wrote a solid MA, and passed comps (one with honors) but was miserable for 5 years and made it quite clear to everyone in department. After advisor left, left program and have been out for 3 years. Finished a graduate certificate in an unrelated field, returned to teaching as an adjunct. 

Question: I want to return to PhD but not necessarily my old program (although they have indicated they will take me back with a faculty endorsement-its great being a double minority whose abilities far outpaced her efforts (sarcasm)). My question, how high or low do I aim when considering new programs to apply to? I want to do it right this time, choose a program based on fit not location, and then proceed through the program actually doing ALL the things I did not do right (or at all) last time. I want a fresh start BUT how will I be viewed by these programs?
I have successfully (on paper) completed PhD level coursework, teaching, and comprehensive exams---does that put me ahead of the curve OR does it just raise questions about why I am not returning to my top-notch program to finish? Where do I stand now as an applicant? Last time I applied, I was accepted into all 5 schools I applied to (all of which were in the top 15 of sociology programs at the time)...but am I a stronger or weaker candidate 8 years later?

Thank you for any advice you all can provide

Since most people have never really encountered the situation you are, I would look at some programs that you think are a good fit, and try to make a connection with one of the faculty you want to work with.  They will be the one to say whether or not (and how) it would work for you to reapply into a program.  Most people are human (sarcastically said), and hopefully some will understand that you just weren't in the right place earlier in life to finish - if they see that their program will be the right one for you now, then I think you will be set.  I will also add that sometimes older candidates who have suffered a few hard knocks are valued by faculty, as they realize you've learned a lot from your experiences and are more motivated now than ever to reach your goals.

You can always frame and adjust your narrative as need be, to make it work, as much as any SOP narrative can, in your favor. That said, if the point of returning is to enter a program you feel fits you well, then go for it. Apply only to those programs you know you want to attend. Otherwise, what's the point? Anticipate and address in your SOP any possible concerns faculty may have. As for stronger or weaker 8 years later... I would guess, both. Which perception will ultimately dominate is a matter, as I'm sure you probably already know, of how you present those strengths and weaknesses. Just my humble opinion.

I know several people who were in your situation - poor fit, "top-notch" program - and they did well. More than half of my cohort came in with MAs (a few from PhD sociology programs).

There is absolutely no point in returning to your old program if fit and finding intellectual support is an issue, and you should state this in your application when you explain why you're applying to X particular school. Unfortunately, I don't think faculty care will care much about your SES and minority background unless it somehow relates to your work and/or is a point of reflexivity for your diversity statement. 

You have a high GRE score, high MA GPA, strong written sample, graduate teaching experience and formal teaching experience, perhaps some conference presentation experience. In my opinion, academia tends to be a bit ageist (favoring older graduate students), but it's difficult to disentangle age from the relevant life experience that supposedly enriches our work.... I think you'll do well. 

I'm in a similar position - entered a top-5 program straight out of undergrad, completed two years of coursework, comp exams, and teaching. Program ended up being a poor fit. I left, worked for a year, reapplied to PhD programs, and right now I'm narrowing down my offers and deciding where I'll end up in the fall.

Regarding whether you're better or worse off now than you were the first time around: I don't have an easy answer to your question, honestly, but if you're able to get a convincing letter from either your advisor or any other faculty you had a close+positive relationship with, that will help assuage a lot of adcom concerns. (I had a letter from my advisor.)

I did reasonably well with my applications compared to the first time I applied (4 funded offers out of 6 applications), but then again I shot for mid-20s and 30s rather than top 5s (as I did my first time around). One of those offers came after an interview, and the interviewer did ask about leaving my previous PhD program. I just gave her the straight answer - my research interests changed and I felt that the schools I was applying to were much stronger fits intellectually. 

So, I don't think you're sunk by any means, and I don't see any reason to shoot low. As always, I'd apply to a range of programs just to have options, but definitely don't apply anywhere you won't want to go. 

Your previous program still thinks highly enough of you to want you back? You're golden!

It would be unethical for a program to support your return without also supporting your application elsewhere. 

Have a frank conversation with your former advisor(s) about where you've been and where you want to go. A strong LOR from faculty who know you well and can vouch for your competence and the details of your situation should be quite sufficient to re-enter academia. Based on the strength of your previous work and the experience you've gained over several years of teaching, I would be surprised if you weren't able to gain admission to the program of your choice. I think it's easy to look at our professors and conclude that there's one "straight shot" way to be successful in academia. Non-traditional applicants are starting to get an edge, and I think this trend can only continue. Leverage those assets and keep your chin up!

Very quickly, I think you're in a good position to resume your studies in another program. Your interests changed, which is natural, and in no way should that stop your from being accepted into another program. Also, Graduate admissions aren't that petty...

Do not return to your current program, and apply again in the next cycle. If, perhaps, you're interviewed and asked why you left your program, explain it to them in a succinct, gentle manner. If you really feel that it's going to raise a red flag to the admissions committe, follow La Di Da's advice, which, in my opinion, is both objective and sound.

Thank all of you so much for your advice; I was a little worried that I would receive some harsh criticism so it was very nice how thoughtful all of your replies are. I have a list of about 10 schools that I consider "good" fits: ranging from perfect to solidly acceptable in terms of having multiple faculty that align with my interests. My advisor at my old school left academia completely and I am unable to benefit from his advice-I do have a mentor but she is in another field at a school that I briefly worked at as an adjunct so I wasn't sure how helpful her advice will prove to be. I will definitely use my SOP to emphasize my growth over the years I have been gone from academia...and I guess fingers crossed, someone will give me an opportunity to "do it right" this time.  

I want a fresh start BUT how will I be viewed by these programs?

I have successfully (on paper) completed PhD level coursework, teaching, and comprehensive exams---does that put me ahead of the curve OR does it just raise questions about why I am not returning to my top-notch program to finish? Where do I stand now as an applicant? Last time I applied, I was accepted into all 5 schools I applied to (all of which were in the top 15 of sociology programs at the time)...but am I a stronger or weaker candidate 8 years later?

Thank you for any advice you all can provide

I was on an admissions committee this year and we had several students with your level of completion. They were never considered for admission when they said that they wanted to come and proceed from where they left off. Many schools will probably require you to retake your comprehensive exams and some or all of your Ph.D. coursework.

I concur with others when they say that you can explain this in your narrative. Just be straightforward and forthcoming. Many committees might see you as a risk, but I'm sure that you can find a school that's a better fit for you. Best of luck!

• 2 years later...
On 3/22/2013 at 4:26 PM, phd_paula said:

Thank all of you so much for your advice; I was a little worried that I would receive some harsh criticism so it was very nice how thoughtful all of your replies are. I have a list of about 10 schools that I consider "good" fits: ranging from perfect to solidly acceptable in terms of having multiple faculty that align with my interests. My advisor at my old school left academia completely and I am unable to benefit from his advice-I do have a mentor but she is in another field at a school that I briefly worked at as an adjunct so I wasn't sure how helpful her advice will prove to be. I will definitely use my SOP to emphasize my growth over the years I have been gone from academia...and I guess fingers crossed, someone will give me an opportunity to "do it right" this time.  

I wonder what happened to Paula  (and a few other stories with unclear endings). I want longitudinal stories, not cross sections. :)