Withdrawing applications

saritapie

I don't think it's unethical to wait to hear back from one university despite accepting an offer from another. You paid the application fee so you have the right to find out if you meet their admission standards. Despite the potential of being given preference over another student, it doesn't really matter--that's why universities maintain waitlists. In the letter of acceptances I received, the only condition that was stipulated was that "you can only accept ONE offer of admission." I think the real dilemma would be if you accepted an offer from in-state university 'A' and later rescinded your acceptance because school 'B' gave you a better offer. At the PhD level, however, if you do accept an offer of admission from one school and decide to go somewhere else, you need to get that school to "release you' before you can accept another offer. If they don't, then you're pretty much committed to that school, or you'd have to wait a year before reapplying to graduate programs.

I don't think it's unethical to wait to hear back from one university despite accepting an offer from another. You paid the application fee so you have the right to find out if you meet their admission standards. Despite the potential of being given preference over another student, it doesn't really matter--that's why universities maintain waitlists.

I respectfully disagree.

The admission fee is a sunk cost. Forget about it. There is no valid reason to make the admission committee work for nothing by evaluating the application of a candidate who is certain not to accept. When I go to a restaurant, I don't make a mess because I paid for the staff to clean my table after me. It's just common courtesy.

I have withdrawn my application from a few schools where I knew I wouldn't go. The adcomm chairs always sounded very happy that I told them earlier. A few of them wrote back to tell me that I was highly ranked and would most probably have gotten in, but that they understand my decision and really appreciate that I told them as soon as possible.

Seconded. The application fee is payed and gone. If you've already decided not to go to a certain school, there's no point in having its adcom read through your file and make a decision. Save everyone involved the time and effort and let another applicant have the opportunity to get an offer instead of you.

I went through the same situation. I applied to MSc/MPhill/PhD in Finance to 8 programs in Europe, and one in US. Before applying, I had one clear 1st option, a 2nd option not far (under my viewpoint and on academic standards grounds) from that one, then 4-tied 3rd options and 2 safe grad schools in Sweden and Finland that I knew you accept my (GMAT 730, GPA 3.87 out of 4, outstading research-related undergraduate activites, strong LOR etc).

First application deadline would be on Jan 1st, so I managed to apply to all places at once. My first choice University (roll-on admission) gave me an informal notice of acceptance (program supervisor spoke to me and sent emails, had the power to admit or not, but dean would sing letters only a month later), which maked my happy, but I went into a 7-wks nervous period.

I would attend that University, but I needed a formal letter of admission, specially considering that my nationality status changed just a couple weeks after application (which I was expecting btw), making me eligible to some scholarships and tuition waiver I badly need. Meanwhile, before the official letter arrived, I was offered positions at 2 of the tied 3rd options, but I woudn't make a deposit (

• 2 weeks later...

keep in mind the application fee usually goes towards the graduate school processing, not the department. in most cases, the departments do not get any of the application fee. faculty volunteer to serve on the adcom, an there's usually a secretary to do all the grunt work. thus, i would withdraw, make it easier on everyone on the adcom.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use