UCSD vs UT- Austin for MS in EE (Analog Design)

pg2992

Hi!

I have received admits from UCSD and UT-Austin, both in electronic circuits and systems track. I would like to concentrate further on Analog design/RF during my Masters. After a bit of discussion I have gathered that both these schools have good research. California being the silicon valley has tie ups with Qualcomm and other big shots, on the other hand Texas is growing with a lot more opportunities coming up in the future. Also I have heard that UT Austin is more reputed and has a better stand among recruiters.

Which of these would be a better choice from job opportunities point of view and analog research for a Masters students? I would not be continuing for a PhD mostly.

Graduate students from both these schools are requested to provide their inputs as it is a really difficult decision.

Thank u!

UCSD is much more reputed for RF, and as strong or stronger than UT in analog reputation. This isn't a case of reputation recognition for ECS among recruiters. UCSD has an extremely widespread reputation and more so in CA obviously.

UCSD takes the edge, although close. In addition, the jobs will be better and more abundant in CA, and CA (esp San Diego) is just nicer by all means. I would suggest only choosing UT if for some reason you would prefer Texas.

Edited by LanoTech

Let me start by saying I'm not in this field and this is all general advice. I would highly recommend speaking with current graduate students to learn more about job opportunities in the area. That's going to be your most reliable source of information.

Austin has been seeing a big increase in tech companies and job opportunities. The city is trying to become a new "Silicon Valley" of the south so I wouldn't worry about a drop in job availability any time soon. Of course though if there is a specific company or position you are aiming for that could play a role in your decision.

Second - I wouldn't assert that SD is over all nicer. I've been to both, lived in California and Austin (which is very different than the rest of Texas). They have similar vibes but a slightly different flavor. I would personally choose Austin because of the lower cost of living (if we are just comparing cities and not programs). I think the only way you will really know is to visit and get a feeling for which program/city will suit you best.

Best of luck!

Second - I wouldn't assert that SD is over all nicer. I've been to both, lived in California and Austin (which is very different than the rest of Texas).

I think that most people would. Especially since UCSD is in the nicest part of SD too (La Jolla).

I've been to Austin as well as many other parts of Texas. I agree Austin is different than the rest of Texas, but if you use this as an excuse, then you will be pretty hard pressed to like rest of Texas. I was fine with it for a while, but Texas just isn't my kind of place.

Location-wise Socal has it hands down, unless you're a Texas kind-of guy.

And again, if you're even considering RF - I highly recommend UCSD.

Edited by LanoTech

Thank you very much for the inputs! I am an international student and visits are not really possible for me. Hence i would like graduate students at both schools or either from my field to comment on this post. Funding is not such a big issue for me :) People from analog/mixed signal domain or IC design please share your views.

Thanks!

Hi people!

I have recently received an admit from Georgia Tech too which has confused me further. Which school among Gatech, UCSD and UT Austin is the best for VLSI? (more towards analog). 

Gatech and UT have a better ranking compared to UCSD. I have heard Gatech is good for power management while UCSD for RF. Haven't heard about any sub field at Austin. How much do university rankings on US News matter? Also. Gatech has taken huge intake this fall, is this good or bad?

My final aim is to work on designing circuits (not just verification jobs). Which university could provide the best research opportunities as well as jobs?Please help! 

Thank you.

US news rankings are a humorous popularity contest. They can be somewhat helpful, but are very misleading in the small scale (within a ~20 ranking cluster).  UT Austin is not better than UCSD just because of a few spots of ranking. UCSD could very well be better (but by the same principle you can't assume UCSD is better than UT). UCSD's ECE department is very stellar and gets a ton of grant money.

The same applies with Georgia Tech. If you think it sounds cool, then by all means go for it. Otherwise, you need to look into the faculty at each university. The number and quality of faculty in your intended are can be an indicator of the area's emphasis in their EE department.

Taken off a page from UCSD's circuits page: "We compete for students with peer institutions that have STRONG circuits research groups such as UCLA, UCB, UT-Austin, UW, Columbia, and Georgia-Tech (among others)."

All three are fantastic circuits schools recognized by companies around the country. You will be able to get a job in IC design no matter which school you chose because there is no wrong choice.

Like HockeyNerd said, Austin is a good place for EE after graduation. California as a state has an abundance of jobs (which UCSD would be fantastic for); this includes southern CA, not just silicon valley. Although Austin has a lot of jobs, California is still miles ahead especially for circuit design (Intel, Apple, Qualcomm, Broadcom, Nvidia, Agilent Technologies, Fairchild Semiconductor,  the list goes on).

Many people working for these companies went to school at a UC (UCSD, UCLA, Berkeley) and are more keen to hire from these schools (as you would also be more likely to hire people who went to the same/similar great school you went to). UT and GT have the reputation to make up for this however, meaning you will find many people from top 20 schools regardless.

Edited by Rantar