SLP - Letters of Recommendation from whom?

I've been checking out these forums for a while now and they have helped a lot, so thank you. I do have a question though.  I'm currently a linguistics undergrad, will graduate this Fall 2014 at the University of Utah. However, I'm already working on SLP prerequisites and will continue to do those and will graduate with my 2nd Bachelors (CSD) in Spring 2015. So I want to apply for grad schools for the Fall of 2015.  My question is.. would it hurt/not be as effective if my LoR were from the linguistics faculty. I know them a lot better.  Maybe you can share with me who wrote your LoRs? I wanted my manager of where I work (for the past few years) to write one (non-medical job) and then I was thinking of getting some faculty to write the others? Any suggestions? Do I need to warm up and get to know the CSD department teachers this next Fall semester and have them write my LoR already before the end of the year? I'm so thankful for all of you guys. Let me know if you have any advice for me.

The schools that I applied to specifically said two of the three letters they required must come from SLP faculty. That isn't the case with every school though so definitely check the ones you're looking at. I would definitely ask some of the linguistics faculty that you know better for any letters that aren't required to be SLPs! Good luck!

I think one of the keys to a strong LOR is it coming from someone who knows you on a deeper level than just seeing a name on an exam or roll sheet. However, that being said, for graduate school and the competitiveness it is important imo to have some from individuals who are SLP professors, clinical instructors, or related volunteering supervisors, etc. I really do think it is important for students to get to know some of their professors in an authentic way. Maybe there are one or two you whose personality or teaching style you click with. It may be a good idea to ask thoughtful questions before or during office hours (depending on the teacher's preference of class participation), ask if you can volunteer with projects or clinics they are in. A lot of grad schools do ask for SLP professor specific references and even those that do not I am sure having professors in the field you are applying too really helps in their eyes to paint a picture of success. I was lucky enough to have all three LOR from my undergraduate SLP professors, but I am an in major applicant so I am sure it may be more challenging out of field. I do think the linguistic professor would be good, but it would be great if you were able to get to know a professor or supervisor related to the major to write one after allowing them to get to know you as a student better. Make sure if you can to ask early becasue some may have a limit of LOR they are willing to write per student and may also have a limited number of students they can write for. Good Luck.

Edited by Yancey

I was out of field too (did my pre-reqs at USU) and had the following people write me letters:

1. A USU professor (because I wanted at least one letter from in-field)

2. My undergrad professor & advisor 

3. My supervisor from my TFA-like program

I felt like it was important to have at least one in-field reference.  I chose my other letter writers because I knew they would write me kick-butt recommendations. ;)  Things worked out well for me!

Edited by sayjo

I chose the professors who knew me best over the professors who taught me in my (online) post-bacc, so I ended up having no SLP LORs. It worked out in my favor.

1. My childhood education professor/advisor - he co-supervised my student teaching and taught several classes, so he knew me REALLY well and could attest directly to me working with children.

2. Another childhood education professor with specialties in both literacy and special education - took several classes with her, she knew me really well, and supervised my literacy tutoring of a special needs student.

3. A psych professor - this one knew me less well and I wish I had gone with 1 SLP professor instead. However, I got into most of the schools I applied to, including my first, second, and third choice, so I can't really say I have any regrets.

Majority of the schools I applied to specifically said 2 of the 3 must be from professors. All 3 of mine were professors in our department, but I knew each of them outside of just being an A student in their class. 1 is also our NSSLHA adviser and undergraduate adviser, another is the department chair, and third I just knew very well personally because we met a lot outside of class to discuss papers, tests, etc.

I don't think it would be a problem to ask your linguistics professor, however I'd make sure that 2 came from department faculty since they can speak the most about your ability to succeed in this program & field. Make sure that they can say a lot more than just "blah blah got an A in my class and attended all lectures". I was warned by several 1st year grads in my program to not ask certain professors bc that's all they would write unless they REALLY knew you outside of just being a student in their class.

If you're going to use Linguistics professors, I might aim for those who specialize in Phonetics or Phonology but yes, I assume it would be to your advantage to get to know your SLP faculty. 

I was out of field and 7 years out of college so professors were a long shot. I worked at a school for children with special needs and got my supervisor (a principal) and an SLP with whom I worked at the school to write references. I also teach adaptive horse back riding and one of the parents of one of my students who is hard of hearing wrote another letter. The other reference was written by a life-long mentor who is a psychologist. The graduate programs that I spoke with were extremely impressed with my references. I'm not sure such random references would work for everyone but I think that because I picked people who were so familiar to the field and could speak directly to my passion, especially since I had known them all at least 4 years.

I also was careful to pick references that I thought could speak to my passion and experience with the populations served. My GRE and GPA were high enough that I was confident that there wouldn't be concerns about my academic abilities, and so I didn't need references to speak to that. Those would have been more difficult to find being so far removed from school.

My advice would be to look at your application and see where you might need extra evidence. A truly heartfelt reference letter I think bears more weight than a canned letter from a professor you had once or twice. 

I was a biology major and applied to only 1 program which accepts out of field applicants with no SLP pre reqs. So I had a spanish professor and a biology professor write my 2 letters. It really depends on the school requirements. 

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone experienced trying to get LOR from an online post bad program? I am currently starting to worry if I'll be bale to get any from my online professors since they have never met me. 

Has anyone experienced trying to get LOR from an online post bad program? I am currently starting to worry if I'll be bale to get any from my online professors since they have never met me. 

Yes, I had one of my online professors write a LOR for me.  She asked me for my grades and a resume and then asked if there was anything particular that she should highlight in my letter.  I never saw the letter, but assume it was fine because I was accepted at a number of schools.

If possible, I think you should try to have at least one letter from someone who knows you in real life.  They can probably comment on your acheivements a little more accurately.

Edited to add: Not sure where you're doing your post bacc at, but if you are doing it online through USU I know that the professors are more than happy to write LORs for online students.

Edited by sayjo