Advice on Career in Languages

Francophile1

Hello all,

So I am currently in a top 20 MA/PHD program, but have been struggling somewhat. My language skills are not as strong as native speakers and I am trying to determine how to proceed.

I am prepared to work as hard as possible in achieving my dreams and results, however more and more I am contemplating multiple ideas for the future, and need some guidance.

While I enjoy learning about literature-my heart is really set on teaching language and culture. I will finish the MA portion of my Degree soon and want to transfer to a different PhD program or decide what to do next.

My questions are the following:

1. If My dream job really involves teaching language, rather than literature, what would be your advice, pursue the PhD degree and then look for jobs in community colleges or schools that need language teachers, or end it at an MA, and possibly get into either CC teaching or independent High schools? I am really not that fond of high schools because of all the disciplining and babysitting teachers usually do, but I believe that working in independent schools or private schools would be a totally different experience.

2. Another option is to switch to Comparative Literature (I am in one language program now), and pursue my strengths in other languages (in which I have native fluency), but in this case I am not sure I would be able to get a "language" job later, as I have heard that Comparative Lit people are generally employed in more interdisciplinary roles.

3. Last option is to go to The Country of the Language, and improve my skills before going onto a PhD in the language. My passion is truly the language and I want to be as good as possible in it. However this option

Again as I said I have an undergrad. degree in the Language, have studied in the country a bit but am still somewhere at an advanced low level.

I do not want to give up this dream! Any advice is appreciated.

I wouldn't be too quick to knock public high schools.  Some of them offer AP classes or even the IB program, which cater to high achieving students who need good teachers to help them thrive.  I know that if it weren't for my fantastic French teachers in high school I would have never even considered continuing my studies at the undergrad level.  Be the change you wish to see and all that good stuff y'know.

As someone about to start grad school in the fall I am quite interested to see what advice you get.  I wish you the best as you figure out your path.

Edited by carrot_flowers

If your passion is truly the language and your main priority is to get good at it, option 3 seems most reasonable. It gives you an opportunity to improve your language skills and time to reflect more on what you'd like to do. You could always apply to PhD programs a couple years later if you decide that's what you really want.

That said, if you already know that you'd like to focus on teaching the language, I don't know if a PhD is really necessary. As you said, an MA is a good launching point for jobs at CCs and independent high schools.

Yes hj2012- that is my point that if I want to teach language it is not exactly necessary to get a PhD. And I am learning that research in lit.is not really where my heart is.

Carrot-Flowers- yes a lot of people have advised me against high school because of the disciplining one has to do but you are right some of my most influential people have been teachers in HS. With that said I did go to a private HS so I know there is a big difference!

• 3 weeks later...

I would say don't give up on your dream.  Having said that, of course, dreams can and do change.  The university where I went back to school, 30-40% of the Spanish professors are not native speakers.  The department chair is a non-native but, man, does he know his stuff and he is a demon when grading, but you do learn a lot.    So I would say this question is a factor, but should not rule your decision.  Oddly, the prof who really motivated me for grad school is a native speaker.  My mentor says when she goes to speak English she has fewer resources, so I guess this is always at the back of the mind.