A fledgling at argument task prompts.

dicapino

Hello guys. I have done more work on the issue task essays, a lot practice and I feel comfortable with this essay type. I have started with the argument task- i had to learn a lot of flaws using the Manhattan Essay strategy guide.

For now, I am just checking for flaws in the ETS argument task.

The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Balmer Island Gazette.

"The population on Balmer Island increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians, the town council of Balmer Island plans to limit the number of mopeds rented by each of the island's six moped rental companies from 50 per day to 30 per day during the summer season. Last year, the neighboring island of Torseau enforced similar limits on moped rentals and saw a 50 percent reduction in moped accidents. We predict that putting these limits into effect on Balmer Island will result in the same reduction in moped accidents."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the prediction and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the prediction.

Flaws

Troubled analogy between Balmer and torseau Island.

Vague and ambiguous terms: ‘Last year’ (when last year, spring, autumn or winter) and ‘50% reduction in Moped accidents’ ( was it 4 moped accidents in the previous year or……., ‘ the accident stated did they involve pedestrians or other mopeds, cars or people using bicycles

Plan to limit number of mopeds from 50 to 30 per day. No evidence to tell if this plan will actually work…..

*Hope I am on the right track. Please I need feedback.

Edited by dicapino

*So I put the flaws together, but I am not really sure I wrote a good essay. Its not time- my first argument essay. Please I am importuning to give me feedback.

A Balmer Island resident writes the editor of a local newspaper stating his views on how to reduce moped –pedestrian related accidents during the summer. Although the writer’s gesture is a noble one, his argument is propped by flawed premises which include: a troubled analogy, vague and ambiguous terms.

Firstly, the author by citing a neighbouring that employed reduction in the number moped a year before begs the question. Do Balmer and Torseau Island have common similarities during the summer months? It could be that the policy was effective in Torseau because of a lesser population. For all we know, it may be large number of people come to Balmer during summer, may be they have exotic beach side and recreational facilities that even attracted large numbers from Torseau Island during summer, and, thus, reduced the number of moped accidents on the island. To make this evidence waterproof, the letter has to expound more on the similarities between both islands.

Together with the analogy flaw in this writer’s argument is his use of ambiguous words that can avail themselves to multiple interpretation. The use of the word ‘Last year’ does not clearly reveal the when limit on the number of mopeds in Torseau Island was enacted; it could have been during autumn, spring or through out the whole year. Furthermore, a 50% percent reduction in moped accidents needs to be bot expatiated on and quantified. It could be that the reduction was from 500 to 250 accidents, or, from 10 to 5; this ambiguity does not explain how effective it would be in Balmer Island. Also, are the Torseau Island moped accidents those involving individuals on bicycles or in privately owned cars? The argument would be made more cogent if these terms are properly explained.

Finally, author would have to be assured that the reduction of moped from 50 to 30 during summer would be feasible. First, with the large influx of people there may be need for more mopeds for easy movement of people. Also, would such a policy be accepted by all the rental companies, for some of them summer might be an opportunity for making more profit and such reduction may probably not be good for their business.

In summary, then noble intention of this letter’s argument for abating the number of moped-pedestrian related accidents would be bolstered if each of these germane points raised are assiduously looked into.

Edited by dicapino