Hi! And what are my chances? (long)

Hi, everyone,

This is my first post, but I've been reading much of the forum and it's so incredibly helpful.  I know that no one can really tell what my chances are, but with your experience reviewing other people's posts and hearing about who's gotten in and who hasn't over time, I wonder if you could spot any issues or have any advice for me.  (Plus, I always love to read other people's stats and their stories!)

My stats:

1.  My long-term goal is to be a clinician. My interests are psychodynamic modalities and ideally, I would like to eventually work both as an employee for a larger hospital/agency/etc and to have a LCSW private practice.  Eventually, I would like to complete the PhD in social work at Smith. Looking for CSW licensing in CT/NY/MA (depending on where we end up living).

2.  Applying to MSW programs for Fall 2015 at Columbia, NYU, Hunter, and UConn.  First choice is the NY program at Sarah Lawrence.

- Currently finishing up a BA in Psychology and Philosophy from a good state university. GPA: 3.91 but I have 3 more semesters and it will hopefully go up a bit more.  Part of the classes taken years ago at an Ivy League. I dropped out then because I was a brand new immigrant, v intimidated by the school, balancing full-time work with school, no idea what I was doing with myself. Did not leave on bad terms, got good grades while there, and paid off all debts to this school since.  But I did interrupt my BA for over 10 years and worked.

- CLINICAL EXP: Employee at a somewhat clinical capacity for a mental health center that is part of an Ivy League. 

- RESEARCH EXP: I know it's not a must, but part of my job is also to RA for the clinic's studies. I also RA'd for 1 year at the same clinic as a student.

- VOLUNTEER: Almost 2 years of weekly volunteer work as a counselor for a teen suicide prevention hotline. 1 year of RA'ing at said Ivy; random volunteer for local mental health center for low and no-income population with severe mental illness.

- WORK HISTORY: almost 10 years of experience. This is a career change for me and I think I can make a relatively compelling argument for being sure that this is what I want to do with my life and being completely committed to this career.

- REFERENCES: current supervisor/PI who is also professor at same Ivy; volunteer hotline supervisor; v nice professor at current undergrad.  I think the hotline volunteer letter might just be a v basic letter, not really sure if they go beyond that?

Other stuff: This year I won a big private scholarship; I freelance and have published articles for some big name websites.  In my 30s, minority in several ways (not that these are merits in any way, I just know that sometimes programs are a little favorable to applicants with "diverse" backgrounds)

My concerns:

1. My work history is a bit all over the place and kind of varies from mid-level management positions to more administrative positions.  Same overall field and only 4 employers in 13 years, but I was really looking for what I wanted to do with my life and I bounced around a bit: 

- Employer 1: 5 years: 2 promotions, quit because I moved

- Employer 2: 2 years: quit because I found a better job

- Employer 3: less than 1 year: left on great terms, because I had a life event, supervisor still gives me great references

- Employer 4: 3 years: laid off, not for performance, company went down

- Employer 3 again: 1 year, quit for better job

- Employer 3 again: present job, amazing opportunity in the field, plan on keeping this throughout grad school

2. I didn't finish undergrad when I first started it. But that was 12 years ago and since I returned last year, I've been taking a lot of classes, working my butt off, and maintaining a good GPA.  I'm not a flaky person in any way, it's just taken me till now, in my 30s, to get the courage to really go for what I want. Immigrating from my country of origin really messed with me and knocked me off-track for a few year and I kind of lost track of what I wanted and what I could reasonably accomplish.

3. Everything! :)

What do you think?... Any and all advice and critiques are appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have a MSW from NYU and I think you have a great chance of getting in there!  They actually respect that you didn't complete your BA immediately, it shows that you have life experience.  Don't worry about that part!  You have great grades and I hope you have good GRE scores.  You look like a good candidate, so don't worry!  Btw, you should also consider the MSW program at Hunter College.  It's a fraction of the price and it's actually one of the best programs around!  (even tho I loved NYU, if I had to do it again I would go to Hunter).

Good Luck!