After M.A. in Women Studies ; changing majors

I am an international student

My major in B.A. was American Culture and I was planning to apply in English M.A programs in my country.

However the more I studied, even though I love English literature I felt like I didn't want to concentrate merely on English literature

Since I was always interested in feminism I am thinking about applying to M.A in Women studies in my country.

However, after that I want to study abroad, especially in the states, and I found out that there is not much phd programs in Women studies.

I also think I don't merely want to concentrate in phd itself. I am interested in cultural studies, literature and religion and also philosphy..

To be honest I don't think I'm prepared enough to plan after M.A since I didn't choose what I want to study even now.

What I want to ask is, is it possible to change majors in phd after doing Women studies as an M.A?

I heard that Some programs require certain amount of credits in that major from university level studeks.

I didn't choose yet but when I apply to phd's I want to apply to one of the majors above( cultural studies, literature or religon..? )

"I found out that there is not much phd programs in Women studies" - There are actually quite a few programs. A list can be found here: http://www.smith.edu/swg/graduate.php

But to answer your question, "What I want to ask is, is it possible to change majors in phd after doing Women studies as an M.A?" While I can not speak to other graduate programs in other countries, in the United States, the answer would be yes. A M.A. in women's studies, depending on the program, will increase your theoretical understanding of a significant body of work. You could then apply to a number of different Ph.D programs including sociology, anthropology, English, history, etc.

"I heard that Some programs require certain amount of credits in that major from university level studeks." Most Ph.D programs, which are advanced study, do require you to demonstrate competence and a basic understanding of the field. Which...makes sense. For example, if you have never taken a philosophy course in your life, it would be almost impossible to be admitted to a philosophy Ph.D program. Most universities outline the prerequisites for admission on their site. If you are interested in a particular field, consider taking courses in that field during your Women's Studies M.A. 

I would say apply to universities that have women's studies' programs and programs in the other areas of which you have interest (cultural studies, literature, religion, etc.) and use your time in the program to refine you academic interest.

• 4 months later...

Yes, I think it would be possible. I'm currently pursuing my MA in Women's Studies and I considered applying to PhD programs in English, Cultural Studies, and American Studies. While I decided to stick with PhD apps to WS programs, none of my professors steered me clear of my initial options in other fields. In fact, they encouraged me to consider them. I'm a Canadian who is applying to Canadian and American PhD programs.

Edited by Lorelai_Gilmore