GRE Tutor Looking for Solid Study Plan

sung25

Hi all,

I will be tutoring a friend who is taking the general GRE. I have not taken the GRE. However, I have reviewed her Princeton Review book and I am confident that I can be of help. My friend also doesn't have a structured study plan and my main goal is to help her construct a plan so she can develop a steady routine.

So, I've looked through some of the posts regarding prep materials on this forum and now I need some help constructing a rough schedule.

First, she is taking Princeton Review Prep classes each week. However, looking through these forums, I found that most people think the PR material is easier than the actual test.

Second, it seems like people recommend the Powerprep software, ETS material, Magoosh, and Manhattan, so I will recommend these. (Am I missing any)?

Now, is using the Powerprep, ETS material, Magoosh, AND Manhattan overkill? If so, which one, two, or three, should I try with her? How many practice tests should she end up taking? Which should she use as a diagnostic? She is having trouble with the quantitative section the most.  As for the vocab, I am thinking of giving her my book that I used to study for the SAT. The vocabulary on the SAT and GRE seem similar.

She has 4 to 5 months to prep but she does go to school full time as well and has other obligations. Nevertheless, she should be able to get in at least 1 or 2 hours of studying each day.

In summary, how many of the following should she use: Powerprep, ETS, Magoosh, Manhattan? Am I missing anything important? How many practice tests should she take? Which material resembles the actual test the most?