2.3 Gpa, 322 Gre score. DO i have a chance anywhere?

manasiti

I have a very low gpa of 2.3. My GRE is 322(161 v, 161 q). Though I do have a reason, my younger sister had cancer while I was in first and second year, she passed away when I was in my third and it was a lot to take in. I am in my fourth year right now and am doing much better than before, trying my level best. 

Also I really want to change my field, take psycology for instance.

I just dont know how to contact professors and talk around and what to say. Moreover , I dont know if I have any chance.

Please advice! 

I'm currently applying to PhD programs for biomedical sciences with a 2.64 GPA from my undergrad. From what I can tell, anything below a 2.8 is treated as the same: garbage.

Can you still get in with a low GPA? Yes. But, the rest of your application has to be stellar enough to ignore that 2.3. Your GRE is pretty solid, that is some indication that your GPA is not representative.

How are your letters of recommendation and statement of purpose? They can't be just positive, they need to demonstrate that the hard times are behind you and that you can shine now. I would guess that since you're still in school, that you don't have enough experience to show that. I would look to get a paid position and expect to work for 1-2 years before entering graduate school. There are tons of programs for post-bac experience in every field that are centered around prepping you for graduate school and many also allow you to take courses to improve your GPA.

You could probably find a program that would take you as you are, but would you want to dedicate the next few years of your life to that program? Not everyone with a 2.3 GPA had serious personal events that contributed to their poor grades and they will be in that program.

Also I really want to change my field, take psycology for instance.

To me it seems your not sure on what field you want to study for your graduate studies. Going into the work force will obivously make your application stronger, but it might give you some needed insight on what you want to pursue. Keep in mind that jumping from Computer Science (if thats what you are pursuing in undergrad) to a Master's in psycology will require background courses needed in psycology on top of 30+ gradute credit courses. Also remember that you can always pursue a non-degree masters, but I can't say that it will open the doors toward getting in your desired masters program at every college.