Information Science Applications 2015

nokas

Has anyone in this forum applied for a Masters of Information Science program?

Is anyone applying for 2015 admission into a Masters of Information Science program?

I would love to get a thread going about the application and admissions process. 

Let me start by saying that the application/admission process for MLIS programs is not a difficult one.  This is a professional program and not an academic one, so the process doesn't take much effort.  If you have the money (either saved or through student loans) you will be able to pay for this program.  It's not hard to get into multiple programs, however, unlike most academic programs, they do not offer the same sort of funding.  Sure, there is funding, but not to the same degree a the aforementioned.  So, the reason why there isn't a huge thread relating to the application process of this program is because most people get in.  However, a word of caution.  Before you apply, please remember that this field is slowly becoming obsolete, unless your primary goal is toward information technology and want to work with analytical information in a data warehouse somewhere.  Libraries are not hiring many librarians.  Let me put it to you this way, my colleague applied for a children's librarian position in our public library. He was one of nearly 450 applicants.  Even though he already held a full time at the library, regardless of his MLIS, the job was given to someone else.  He and others continually run into these problems and are seeking employment in multiple states.  The average 2 year program costs $50,000.00.  If you and others are willing to pay that price, please be aware that it might be a hefty sum for credentials that you may never be able to use.

Edited by Shep